• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Bryn, Abergavenny - can you still get access to the river? (1 Viewer)

theMusicMan

Hi All

I am thinking of getting up to the Bryn in the coming week or so, but had heard that the road that led down to the area by the barn has been gated off and access is now restricted.

Is anyone able to confirm this or otherwise please?

Do I now need to obtain permission to get down to the riverbank?

Thanks all

John

Hi John

Are you meaning the bit where my arrow is on this map?

I've not been down there, but usually go down the next track to the east, which finishes at a barn. Gawd... I hope you're not meaning there!

Hi Delia

Yep, I'm afraid that's the place. You can get off the main A40 and into the lane, but only for a few yards. I gather there is a gate now that stops you from driving down to where you used to be able to park up in the trees by the barn building.

I am not sure if there is also a 'no access to river' sign or restriction that has been put in place. I have spent many an enjoyable hour down there on the banks of the river and it would be such a shame if there were now no access.

I am unsure where you refer to re next track to the East is? I do intend popping up there early next week and will report back with my findings.

Oh!!! The only other place I've parked is where I've put the arrow on this map. Then walk up to the bridge and over the stile then follow the footpath.

Alternatively, cross the bridge, go through the gates and follow the footpath on the south bank.

It's an area I try to visit every time I get down to see my brother.

Oh!!! The only other place I've parked is where I've put the arrow on this map. Then walk up to the bridge and over the stile then follow the footpath.

Alternatively, cross the bridge, go through the gates and follow the footpath on the south bank.

It's an area I try to visit every time I get down to see my brother.

Way back when this was my local patch, this was my preferred access point anyhow, so I'd recommend it regardless. It is (or at least was) also a public footpath, so access can not be blocked.

You can also go into the Bryn and park up at the village hall, John. Once you come out of the car park, turn right down the back lane and your then onto the footpath that leads to the river, simply turn left and your heading towards your usual barn parking area.

The Usk Valley Footpath provides public access on both sides of the river (just follow the waymarked Otter head signs) :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back