• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Natural History Of Staffordshire: Fauna and Flora (1 Viewer)

Daffodils and crocuses up on the way into Leek from Stoke. Next on the to find list is frog spawn, oh, and brimstone butterflies.

Might check the temp for tonight and put the moth trap out if it is going to stay warm.

Adam

Had the moth trap on last night. A single mottled umber in there this morning. Which I think is a first for the garden.

Adam

One of the volunteers saw a peacock butterfly at Coombes Valley yesterday! Any other butterfly sightings in the county yet?

Adam

Temperature hit 21 centigrade this afternoon in my yard, lots of crocus in flower and lots of flies about.

Hey, that's cheating Minky ! The hottest place in Great Britain yesterday was here in the Midlands ... 19C at Coleshill just N/NE of Birmingham ... as proper temperatures must be taken in the shade !
So I reckon either your thermometer was in the sun ... or you were reading it sitting in your yard after your sixth glass of Shandy ! If so, cheers B :)

Andy R.

spawn

;
Daffodils and crocuses up on the way into Leek from Stoke. Next on the to find list is frog spawn, oh, and brimstone butterflies.

Might check the temp for tonight and put the moth trap out if it is going to stay warm.

Adam

found frogspawn in the garden pond friday 4 days earlier than last year ;);)

7 spot ladybird at Coombes Valley yesterday whilst we were removing some scrub with the local Wildlife Explorers group. I missed out on their annual BBQ as I was busy trying to confirm water voles using the pond. Turns out the piles of soft rush, and droppings, are from field voles. Still, nice to know we have something hidden in the undergrowth.

Time to get the trap out

Put the trap out on Friday and had 5 moths: 2 x Pale Brindled Beauty, 2 x Chestnut and a Common Quaker.

Searched for Spring Ushers on Cannock Chase but failed miserably!

Dave

First moth of the year for me this evening, in flight at the car park of West End Village - obviously a refugee from Nick's!

had the moth trap out was quite suprised not to get any but i was pretty sure a fox or cat had put its head in over night as it had lifted one of the lids up when i came to check

Moth trap at Coombes Valley last night produced a nights trapping that could rival my garden moth trap some nights in high summer!!

18 chesnut
5 pale brindled beauty (both male forms)
1 march moth
1 dotted border
1 satellite
1 spring usher

Adam

had my first butterfly of the year today on stanley mattews way behind pets at home warehouse in the rough area small tortoiseshell also had 4 bumblebees 1 red tailed species

Moth Trap

Looks like you've all had a nice selection of moths already - just one Pale Brindled Beauty last night was the first of the year for me, but it was nice to record it this morning while a chiffy was singing in the back garden.

Lesser celandine in flower in the top meadow at RSPB Coombes Valley.
Opposite-leafed golden-saxifrage also in flower through the woodlands through the valley.
Plenty of frogs around the pond now, but no frog spawn as of yet. Did have a little bit of frog spawn at the uni nature reserve yesterday.

For you moth-ers, this might be of interest

http://www.gardenmoths.org.uk/

Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back