• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Todays Quality (2 Viewers)

I know I’m going to be shot-down for the following by the BF “Big Guns” from across the pond but hell if it smacks of Trumpism-like belligerence, that dares to direct us to a path less trodden, I aint apologising as guess who’s to blame!

Do you ever wonder how we ever managed to a;- decide upon a binocular purchase and b;- remain content with it for longer than it now takes to read a damming ‘opinion’ of said product’s construction and/or parentage, prior to the arrival of the Internet?

I’m 59 and I do not recall a goldfinch as spied on the banks of the River Cray looking any less stunning as viewed through a pair of Japanese bins purchased with Greensheild Stamps in 1971 than when I last studied one with Zeiss glass.

My point therefore is are we any happier/fulfilled as a result of our knowledge that in 2018 a set of bins costing c$2,500.00 will not be considered awesome by everyone? Assuming they’ve not been dropped prior to delivery.

LGM

You make an excellent point. It is absolutely possible to enjoy birding, spot new species and make worthwhile nature observations with binos priced at far less than alpha prices.

Lee

I await the evidence proving that "No Zeiss Binoculars are made in Germany anymore,..." :smoke:

I misinterpreted this thread, my bad:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=352471&highlight=Wetzlar

And not all Leica Binoculars have been made in Portugal. For that matter Leica has had binoculars and cameras and lenses made there for decades!

I thought all their binoculars and projectors were made there, period, but I just checked and my 15 year old Ultravid 8x42 BL say “made in Germany”, as do my UV 10x50 and UV HD 8x32. I guess final assembly counts, even if the bulk of the work is done in Portugal.

Let’s not forget Canada, including the f/1.0 Noctilux.

A minor point but the SF has a magnesium body. It was FL that didn't have a metal body. And SF feels light because of the weight distribution and while it is lighter than a Swaro EL, it isn't that much lighter.

Lee

Sorry, I should have said the eyepieces were composite, I prefer the EDGs eyepieces, magnesium and it weighs 780 grams.

Andy W.

Sorry, I should have said the eyepieces were composite, I prefer the EDGs eyepieces, magnesium and it weighs 780 grams.

Andy W.

Hi Andy

I wondered if this was what you meant and I know what you mean about metal eyecups. You should try the metal eyecups on GPOs if you get a chance. They are like precision-made instruments and for sure put those on SF to shame although the SF's do function OK.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back