• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Dragonflies & Damselflies 2022 (1 Viewer)

Northern Damselflies, White-faced Darters and Northern Emeralds all out yesterday at Loch Garten RSPB, damselfly on the pool nearest Boat of Garten, others on the White-faced Darter pool near the Tulloch Moor turning. Northern Emerald wouldn't settle at all but happily flew over our heads close enough to see the abdomen and calliper shape easily.

John

I had a ticket for one of the Sandwich Bay Obs guided visits to the Dainty Damselfly colony on Wednesday. Very good, although numbers are strictly limited and they're sold out for this year. They did say they're hoping to run more visits next year than they were able to organise this year, and there was lots of ovipositing going on so fingers crossed there should be opportunities for those who want to see them. They said the late morning visits were seeing the largest numbers, but my afternoon visit was fine and everyone saw plenty of them. Still no sign of them spreading to anywhere that has public access.

IMG_3079a Dainty damselfly 15 Jun 2022.jpg

Four plus male Azure Hawkers near the Beinn Eighe visitor centre, along the path to Kinlochewe that leads off the Buzzard Trail. One sat on me three times, the third time it was chewing the head off a Large Red Damselfly male that was in tandem with a female. Also Northern Emeralds present (not landing for us though they did for others) along with Golden-ringed Dragonfly and Four-spotted Chaser.

Pix at some point!

John

White legged, azure, blue tailed, Common blue and emerald damsels for me at Whixall moss on Friday, guy I was with felt the emerald was quite early . White faced darters, four spotted chasers and a hawker that I didn't manage to identify

Bumped into several Norfolk Hawkers by chance at Hinchingbrook Country Park (Huntingdon, Cambs) today; I am out of touch with dragonflies nowadays so they may be regular here as it isn't far from Little Paxton where they first colonised a good few years ago. Easily seen from the footpath that crosses the main lake from Brampton village to Hinchingbrook hospital.

Sounds like Scotland is proving productive, always good to hear about the Azure Hawkers at Beinn Eighe; I remember rescuing one from a Golden Ringed just before it was about to lose its head!

Newly-emerged Black Darter seen on the BDS guided walk at Fifty Acre Piece, east of Aldermaston, today. Also Scarce Blue-tailed damsel, and commoner species including Emperor, Four-spotted chaser, Black-tailed skimmer and common blue, azure, blue-tailed and large red damsels. A couple of emerging common emeralds also found. Quite a day, and rounded off with a trip to nearby Oval Pond to see the Downy Emeralds.
IMG_3754a Black Darter Aldermaston 26 Jun 2022.jpg

Managed to catch up with Four-spotted Chaser (!) and Common and Ruddy Darters for the year list yesterday (01.07.22) at Emer Bog (Hants)

Attachments

• RP_007006.jpg
    RP_007006.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 2
Really surprised & delighted to find a male Scarce Blue-tailed Damselfly on my local Sunday patch this morning in the outer west London suburbs. The only odonate seen in this particular part of the patch. Habitat was good-on a golf course development along a seepage with a mix of bare soil & was perching in adjacent grasses. A few metres away is a Typha choked pond.

Later on the other side of the wood (an LNR) in a meadow a male Emperor was the only other Odonata, though ,many butterflies such as Ringlets, Marbled Whites, Meadow Browns & Small Skippers.

Really surprised & delighted to find a male Scarce Blue-tailed Damselfly on my local Sunday patch this morning in the outer west London suburbs. The only odonate seen in this particular part of the patch. Habitat was good-on a golf course development along a seepage with a mix of bare soil & was perching in adjacent grasses. A few metres away is a Typha choked pond.
Good record. I usually find a 'new' site each year locally - but after one or 2 years they disappear - but as I'm a stone's throw from the New Forest it's not unexpected.

Yours must be a long way from the nearest known breeding population.

Good record. I usually find a 'new' site each year locally - but after one or 2 years they disappear - but as I'm a stone's throw from the New Forest it's not unexpected.

Yours must be a long way from the nearest known breeding population.
Yes I think so. I'm not aware of any others in the London area. Where I found it is a golf course that's been developing ever since I started going there over 15 years ago. Interestingly it was the only odonate I saw there yesterday but it was quite overcast at times & breezy.

A few from the New Forest on 14th July. Male and female Southern Damselfly, male Golden-ringed Dragonfly and mating Small Red Damselflies

Attachments

• RP_007391.jpg
    RP_007391.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 5
  • RP_007397.jpg
    RP_007397.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 4
  • RP_007428.jpg
    RP_007428.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 5
  • RP_007524.jpg
    RP_007524.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 6
A few from Abbotswood (nr Romsey, Hants) on 15.07.22.
Tatty male Emperor, male Broad-bodied Chaser, male Ruddy Darter, immature Small Red Damselfly (not sure on the sex), male Emerald Damselfly. It's the sort of site that would be good for Migrant Spreadwing (Lestes barbarus) shold they ever decide to fly north from the IOW.

Attachments

• 600E_9443.jpg
    600E_9443.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 600E_9452.jpg
    600E_9452.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 1
  • RP_007587.jpg
    RP_007587.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 3
  • RP_007611.jpg
    RP_007611.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 5
  • RP_007618.jpg
    RP_007618.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 5
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back