• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid BCAs vs *current* Trinovid BCAs - real optical difference or mostly mechanical? (1 Viewer)

Hello durobird,

That's for the well wishes. I've always loved these small classic pocket glasses from Leica. Truth be told, I would have all four(Trinovids & Ultravids) but then they would compete for my time, so in a way having just one ensures I'll get maximal use out of it! I must admit I do miss the 10 x 25 Trinnie for its extra reach over the 8x glass but it doesn't focus as near(about 5 metres) as either the Trinovid or Ultravid 8 x 20.

I think the great charm about these glasses is that you can take them anywhere and enjoy them and because they are so well built they will last more than a lifetime if properly cared for.

Anyway, I hope you get many years of service out of your little 8 x 20 BCA!

Best wishes,

Dipper D.
A 10x25 BCA was my only bin for about 20 years. I still enjoy it just as much as I used to even though it's been joined in recent years by a 10x42 NV and a 7X42 UVHD+. I did once compare it to a 10x25UV and there was a noticeable, but relatively small, difference. However, IMO size and form factor go in the Trinovid's favour. I have the original leather pouch for them which is small enough to fit into a coat pocket. They've been a faithful and reliable 'friend' for almost half of my life. Wouldn't change them for anything!

That's good to know Mike. I know some folk who have had these Trinovid pocket glasses dating from the 1970s( the old Leitz) and are still going strong. The only differences they report between those older models and the newer incarnations are the coatings applied to the lenses and prisms which give a brighter image.

I would love to have a nice leather case for my 8 x 20. I was a little underwhelmed with the cordura pouch which is the same for the BCAs and the UV BR models. I searched around for a better option; something just as small or even smaller but which could be zipped closed and protect the instrument when not in use. I came across this black clamshell case which fits all four models really well. Indeed, I tend to keep the eyecups up even when stored in the case so I can deploy the glass as quickly as possible. Below is a size comparison of the original case compared with the new clamshell case. I also attach a pic of the 10 x 25 Trinnie in the same clamshell case for reference. The case also has a small slip case where I place a sachet of silica gel desiccant to keep moisture at bay.

Although the Trinovids don't come with eye caps or objective covers, I found an Opticron-branded rain guard( see right hand image below on the 8x 20 BCA) that works quite well with these models. Handy if you do encounter some rain.

Dipper D.

Attachments

• IMG_9338.jpg
    IMG_9338.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9339.jpg
    IMG_9339.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6907.jpg
    IMG_6907.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6104.jpg
    IMG_6104.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 48
Helpful posts by Canip and dorubird seem to confirm one cause for the wide disparity among comparisons between Trinovid and Ultravid BCA models -- ranging from reports of dramatic, readily seen differences to ones of evident, but more subtle differences requiring side-by-side comparisons. The discrepancy among reports could, indeed, be owed to whether older or current Trinovid BCAs were involved.
One thing so far missing in these comparisons is the experience of the user, which can lead to greatly varying reports for the exact same pairs of binoculars.

I got my first 'real' binoculars last year and they (Leitz 8x32b) were and still are very enjoyable, but have moved on as my eye has gradually become more demanding and they've been displaced by 8x32BN and 8x32 UVHD+. A couple weeks ago I was looking outside at the cherry trees and noting that the two Trinovid models seemed to both be excellent with little detectable difference. Then a change occurred and I starting noticing that the older Leitz, while still very nice, was suffering badly in the direct comparison with the BN model.

Reports from members with lots of experience like Canip and Dorubird are very valuable, and with that said I'll weigh in with my experience comparing my 8x20 Trinovid and Ultravid. When I did my comparison was months ago and I don't have them both with me right now, only a couple pairs of Ultravids, but at the time I felt the older binocular held up very well, even in the dark, which is where the Leitz suffered very badly and obviously. I look forward to doing the comparison again soon, but in the meantime will be trying to see if I can note any detectable difference between Ultravids of varying serial number ranges.

65E4127F-7987-4CD0-8EC1-7EA435A68010.jpeg

The only thing I'm sorry about is that very new Trinovid 8x20 is no longer made in leather version
Realizing that by 'leather' you mean the vinyl/faux leather/leatherette version, but there are many on the used market and my Trinovid 8x20 is actually real leather just a couple posts back.
...it is clear 5mm shorter than Utravid and cheaper which is important for a pair of binoculars that I will use occasionally, and which will stay in your pocket for the longest time anyway!
Having both Ultravid and Trinovid 8x20 binoculars, there is no apparent difference in size and (at least for me) the difference only shows up with a tape measure. If the Trinovid will fit in your hand or pocket, the Ultravid will too and you won't know the difference, unless you overthink about it. As for price comparison, since I'd rather have the better binocular (waterproof, locking diopter, slightly better image), I've got used Ultravids that I got for new Trinovid prices.

Trinovid,
If the cups of the eyepieces are raised up, as in your pictures, there are no longer differences in the total length of the binoculars, exactly as you said. But to see the difference between Trinovid and Ultravid, you have to squeeze the eye cups all the way down and fully folded in pocket position! Then you will see about 5mm differences in length. And when the binoculars are completely folded, the Ultravid is also a bit thicker and with the tubes further apart when folded due to the larger focus wheel (but more comfortable). Anyway, indeed we are talking about small differences but which are always welcome in pocket binoculars

Last edited:
Ultravid 8x20 is the only binocular I use every single day, so, my most valuable binocular by default.

Mine are always in my pocket when out walking. When out walking I keep them in one of those non scratch sunglasses drawstring bags to make them as small as possible. I got them back in January this year and they have amazed me everytime I use them. I got a chance to use them a few times late one afternoon in the winter and the light was nearing dusk. I thought with the small 20mm objective lenses the Ultravid's might have struggled, but this was defintely not the case and the object I was looking at through them, looked at the same light level as with my own eyes. I can remember been pleasantly surprised. Absolutely love these little binoculars.

Mine are always in my pocket when out walking. When out walking I keep them in one of those non scratch sunglasses drawstring bags to make them as small as possible. I got them back in January this year and they have amazed me everytime I use them. I got a chance to use them a few times late one afternoon in the winter and the light was nearing dusk. I thought with the small 20mm objective lenses the Ultravid's might have struggled, but this was defintely not the case and the object I was looking at through them, looked at the same light level as with my own eyes. I can remember been pleasantly surprised. Absolutely love these little binoculars.
Your post could almost be mine, especially carrying all the time (even when climbing on a roof or playing guitar), going through the drawstring bag and having been shocked at how well they work at night.

Here's what I recently have been carrying them in, but soon to be retired for a more compact option.
8A0FA9AF-2B96-458A-A9F6-9D4D3FEE0499.jpegEC0312FA-DE8D-4026-BA79-F9823A93BEC7.jpeg

That sounds perfect. Where are these available from please ?
I see a couple merchants advertising them online, but the sites don't really look valid. I was almost ready to just buy another set of binoculars just to get the pouch but was lucky enough to find someone willing to just sell me the pouch. I'll post some pics once it arrives and I'd suggest just being persistent in your search.

I see a couple merchants advertising them online, but the sites don't really look valid. I was almost ready to just buy another set of binoculars just to get the pouch but was lucky enough to find someone willing to just sell me the pouch. I'll post some pics once it arrives and I'd suggest just being persistent in your search.

Thanks. Look forward to seeing the pics when it's arrived.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back