• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid focus wheel issue ! (1 Viewer)

Ragna said:
Steve we know this is a fairly new scope but i would have thought Nikon should have a couple of lens hoods in stock.Also stock of parts (camera spares etc) should be arriving every day so to take so long to get the lens hood is rather poor.I think this is why Swarovski are so highly rated as their after sales service is said to be the best.
My experience of Swaro is limited but as you suggest. I do think Nikon have let themselves down. I have had super quick service from Zeiss, too

Leif said:
Despite what thee and me might think of Leica, I would have thought that they would fly out of the door if InFocus stocked them. I see loads of Leica kit about.
Well, like you really, we both think a lot of Leica so I wouldn't be surprised but, that said, I think if profit was that easily made, In Focus would be making it. Maybe they've fallen out or something in the past.

scampo said:
Well, like you really, we both think a lot of Leica so I wouldn't be surprised but, that said, I think if profit was that easily made, In Focus would be making it. Maybe they've fallen out or something in the past.

That's certainly what I've been told - I think that the choice is no longer with In Focus on this matter.

As for the service that Leica provide - had a problem with my Duovids and so returned them to Leica. They decided to replace rather than repair them (so shiny new bins for me) - they may not be the fastest but I've no complaints.

How I envy you living in Norfolk now that the migration is in full swing! Will you be going to see the orioles when they arive?

mike60 said:
I have also tried at least 4 pairs of 8x42 ultravids and found the focus to be not very smooth, and to have a tiny amount of 'play'.
/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, I've had pair of 8x 42 Ultravids for a couple of months; if there is any play in the focus it must be microscopic. However, the focus is not as smooth as it should be on bins costing over £800. It isn't in any way 'notchy' on mine, as others have reported, but it is just a little rough when it comes to fine-focusing. It seems from Mike's posting that this is the way they all are, and certainly my previous pair of Leicas (8x32BN) were a bit rough too. Not good enough really is it?
I bought a pair of the early 10x42 Swarovskis, and the focusing dried up, a common fault on the early models. They've just been returned to me from the factory in Austria (after five weeks) and the focusing is now remarkably smooth (ie, better than it ever was). I believe Swav are using another lubricant. Perhaps Leica has a problem that may be solved by a trip to the factory. Mine are OK now, but if the focusing gets any worse I'll be sending them off.

Sean

scampo said:
How I envy you living in Norfolk now that the migration is in full swing! Will you be going to see the orioles when they arive?

I certainly will be - they are always great to see and you often get other nice stuff at the same site. I only moved to Norfolk a couple of years ago and the main reason was so that I could get out birding more.

I was out birding with my father at the weekend and I had the oportunity to try out my fathers trinovid 8x42bn. I had mentioned the slight play in the wheel to him previously so he handed his over and i was surprised to find that the trinovids had exactly the same amount of play.

So it seems the "flaw" is a leica trait then. Anybody else noticed this?

I can't tell you how my father was gob smacked! Come to think of it I have not heard from him since.

I got my 10x42 Ultravids from Eagle Optics in March. At the time I noticed a small amount of "play" but ignored it due to the great optics and feel. Yesterday I took my old B&L Elites out for a day and I'm ready to send the Leicas back for review. I can live with a small amount of play (somebody said a millimeter, which seems about right) but this focus wheel is sticky (notchy?). Its not that it is hard to go from one range to another, it just doesn't slide smoothly. The B&N focus wheel feels like its immersed in warm butter. Anybody actually send their bins back to Leica for this problem?

Last edited:
Focus Wheel follow-up

Just tried a friend's Trinovids. He swears by Leica and convinced me to order the Ultravids to begin with. His focussing wheel is just as stiff as mine. So, the optics are great, and the overall feel of the Ultravids is excellent. I prefer the smoother feel of the focusing wheel of the B&L Elites although I like the somewhat longer focusing distance (a little over one complete turn near to far) of the Ultravids. Sigh - the quest for perfection continues. I'm using the Elites for butterflies (closer focussing) and the Leicas for birds and I'm pretty much satisfied.

Focus Wheel Issue et al

Whereas I'm not nearly as technical as about 95% of the forum, I do notice things as much. And on the focus wheel issue: I have two Leicas: Trinovid 10x50s and Ultravid 8x42s. Both have 'stiffer' focus wheels than Swaro EL and Nikon HG (Venturer) focus wheels I've used on my friends bins. I'll even agree with one poster who stated it felt in the order of 1 mm or so; I think that's fairly accurate. That said, I have NEVER observed this affecting my focus one bit; not even a 1mm bit. When I have the glass to my face and am focusing (fast or slow, near or far) what my finger inputs, I see, it's as simply as that. I've never had a problem with fine focusing, creep, an inability to lock into focus a bird, NOTHING. Guess what I'm saying is I DO think it must be a Leica 'thing' with having stiff focus wheels. Sure hasn't affected my birding, nor my appreciation of the Ultra's superb optics and unbelievable light weight.

Two other points. One, I simply haven't seen in any post/review as an item of note, but I notice it. Having been used to the Trinovids, I certainly applaud Leica for the Ultras fantastic weight reduction program; these are seriously light bins. But they're also seriously SMALL bins, too. I'm an average sized male (5'6", 150 pounds; maybe even smaller-than-average) and I swear, these bins are SMALL in my hands; almost to the point of being TOO small. Maybe I'm just used to my hulking 10x50 Trinovids, but when holding the Ultras, even with the new thumb rests on the bottom, I do notice my thumbs bumping into each other a lot; might be something to try out on a pair if you're ever considering the Ultras. Certainly not a biggie, but a point nonetheless.

My other point is Leica service. My first pair of Ultras (serial # in the 1555xxx range) actually had a loose armor coating; felt as if it wasn't 'glued' down properly to the magnesium casing, around the thumb rest position on the left barrel. It wasn't a noticeable bubble, but I felt it 'could' become one and at the price of these bins, I thought I'd call Leica. It didn't take Leica US 10 seconds to say, 'Send 'em back' and in 10 days, I had a perfect pair of new ones (without the loose armor). I can't say enough about how well they treated me, in this day and age of lack-of-customer service, Leica US clearly took care of one of their own.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with my Ultras; the focus wheel issue is a NON issue with me, but that may be just a comfort level with using Leica wheels for some time. The optics continue to blow me away. Bins are so subjective in how each individual perceives an image. I totally agree with all of the forum members who instruct us to 'use what works for you'... I can't add anything to that except that the 'wow' factor that I had the first day I hoisted Leica glass to my eyes. I still can remember that day! I tested Nikons, Swaros and Zeiss on the same day at my local camera shop and when I put the Leicas to my eyes, it was surreal to me. I guess that drives a lot of us too, never forgetting that first glass that moved you into the 'serious' stage of optics; I know I'll never forget mine. So, yes, I may be a Leica-phile, hardcore, but I think we never forget our first love :)

I've also posted comments about the Ultravid in (where else?) the "Zeiss Victory FL" thread. I'm not really clear what you're saying about the focus. When I tried an 8x42 Ultravid in a shop just a few days ago, I found that the focus required a millinewton of extra force just to get the focus wheel turning. Once rolling, it was easy and reasonably smooth, but the smidgen of friction to be overcome just to get the wheel turning was a nuisance. I suppose one could get used to it, but I thought the focus was unworthy of binoculars that expensive. I'm about your size, and I have small hands, and I found the Ultravid to be a good fit for my hands. My current binoculars are Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class 8x42, and the Ultravid felt very similar in my hands -- which is good. The Ultravid is heavier than the EORPC.

pruitthall said:
Whereas I'm not nearly as technical as about 95% of the forum, I do notice things as much.

I have also a Trinovid 10x50 BN and have try many Ultravids. There was never a play. The focus wheel is big enough to let 2 fingers work together with perfect controll. I always felt Leica Focus is the optimum. Swaro is too slow, Nikon HG too fast and Zeiss copied Leica.

The Ultravid I tried had a tiny, tiny bit of play, but I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't first read about it here. I could not fault the Ultravid on this issue. Really, I may yet buy the Ultravid, but I want to see the new Zeiss Victory FL first.

Not having seen this thread I went to test out Leica 8x42's. They definitely had play in the wheel. I did think that they had a sharper/clearer view than the swaro's I tried though.

It's interesting seeing my own comment from almost a year ago. My memory has made the "play" into a big deal, and I wouldn't know that I ever felt differently if my own words hadn't been thrown back at me. BTW, I wound up buying the Zeiss FL. I do wonder how I'd feel about the Leica's focus now.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back