• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (3 Viewers)

Help yourself to a vol-au-vent Phil and crack open that party seven of Watney's red barrel, then you can set up the scanner!

Mike

As Hen Harriers are very uncommon in my part of the World, I had to submit the record to the local recorder.
That gave me a chance to put something new on here!;)
A bit scribbly and sketchy, but for a record submission I wanted to give a feel of raw experience, rather than contrived artistry.
Hope you all have a great weekend!B :)

PS Looks like I got to the :king:party too late. Everyone's gone home! :-C

Attachments

• Rintail Hen Harrier. Northwick. 13.10.10.jpg
    Rintail Hen Harrier. Northwick. 13.10.10.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 61
Welcome back Phil and congratulations on having the excuse to do some new work! The harriers are a pleasure to see.

I was sketching feeder birds at a hawk watch the other day when one of the official counters asked me what I was up to. It turns out that he kept a daily journal of what he saw and then made sketches from photos afterwards. But he was obviously interested in working from life. I immediately thought of your work in this vein and directed him this way. I hope he's managed to find your thread. This is such a great way to combine written and drawn observations.

superb page of harriers, the se owl looks thoroughly p*ssed off - as they usually do!

This one did. 'Cause it got rudely awakened by the Harrier!

Before I got ill, and everything went ploppy, this was some sketches that started it off.

2 days of a Glossy Ibis from Spain in a ditch in an industrial estate in England? Nice!
Madame Untitled took many photos. But still not enough! At five feet range, who could resist! B :)

The DVD is amazin'! Lots of material to work from until dead.

Here are my sketches I did with a swollen face. I particularly like the "sketchy" aspect. Paintings to follow.....:cat:

Attachments

• Gout Glossy sketches 20.9.10.jpg
    Gout Glossy sketches 20.9.10.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Gout Glossy sketches sleep 20.9.10.jpg
    Gout Glossy sketches sleep 20.9.10.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 38
Oh! And here is one of Mme.U's captures...

Now I just have to flood this thread with the goods!....B :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 50
Welcome back, Phil.
Just zoomed into the ibis - an example of expertly done field sketches. This is the standard I aspire to - superb stuff, oozes with life and movement.

Must dash, I'll be back to look at the HH soon.

Russ

Just finished reading up on this thread -- took awhile, but I'm glad I did! I'm in love with those sketch pages crammed full of ID notes, killer stuff.

As promised I've taken another long, hard look at the HH. You are the unopposed master of this style of art. Both very pleasing on the eye and highly descriptive - what an antidote to loads of glossy photos (yawn!) At one time photos of raptors would have anybody drooling, but nowadays, whilst still very nice, with everybody and their dad doing it they don't compare with such highly observed studies like this.

Russ

Ps - you aint copied it from a photo have you! (ouch!)

Lapland Longspur Studies

Been a while since I actually did anything. Hope this'll make up for it.
An invasion of Lapland Buntings into Britain eventually filtered down to us.
3 or 4 appeared on the coast nearby. And have been in residence for over a week now.
We paid them a visit, and here are the results.
Only ever seen one Lap before, and that was years ago. Never had the chance to spend hours with them before! Fantastic. Views down to a few feet. Even got down on my belly at one stage and crawled towards one of the birds. Magical being face to face with this Tundra Wanderer!:king:
Managed to crawl through a cowpat too. Nice green stained belly!;)

Thanks for all your comments. Hope you like the studies...:cat:

Attachments

• Laps Studies 24.10.10 100dpi.jpg
    Laps Studies 24.10.10 100dpi.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 57
completely wonderful classic only Phil could do it drawings...makes me want to get down on the ground too, cow pats or no:-O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back