• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (125 Viewers)

Wednesday morning's Black-tailed Godwit at the Moors which joined the other Black-tailed at the Flashes.

Attachments

• P1100823 (584x640).jpg
    P1100823 (584x640).jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 79
2 Black-tailed Godwit still at the Flashes. Sewage meadow has the original brood of 4 Lapwing chicks plus a new brood of 1+ further to the left. John has a brood of 4 Lapwing chicks at the Moors on the Broadmeadow :t::t::t:

Herewith a photo of the 1s Med Gull which seemed to like eating snails. JS

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Med Gull (2s)----------------------Black t Godwit (joined the Flashes Godwit in the afternoon)
Hobby (2)-------------------------Common Tern (8) occupying all boxes except one.
Shelduck (1)----------------------Oystercatcher (3) + chick
G C Grebe (2) + chick------------Cormorant (1)
Swift ( c150)----------------------Shoveler (m)
Tufted Duck (c40)-----------------Kestrel
Whitethroat (2)--------------------Herring Gull feeding on B H Gull chicks
Lapwing (2)------------------------Skylark (1)
Cetti's Warbler (2)

FLASHES:
Med Gull (1s)----------------------Avocet (28) + broods of 4:3:3:3:2:2:2:2
Oystercatcher (2)-----------------Lapwing (8) + 4 chicks in front of sewage works and another 4 birds sitting.
LRP (5) inc sitting bird-------------Shelduck (5) + 8 chicks
Gadwall (5m)----------------------Shoveler (m)
Tufted Duck (22)------------------Cetti's Warbler (1)
Black-t-Godwit (2)

NORTH MOORS:
Shoveler (2m)---------------------Whitethroat

ED RES/SAILING POOL:
Cetti's Warbler

Des.

Attachments

• Ist Summer Med Gull.jpg
    Ist Summer Med Gull.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 96
A semi survey of the (singing) breeding warblers at Moors.
reed warbler: NM = 7, Moors = 9, Flashes = 6,
Sedge warbler: NM = 2, Moors = 5, Flashes = 1.
Cettis Warbler: NM = 1, Moors = 2, Flashes = 1
Blackcap: NM = 2, Moors = 3, Flashes = 2,
Whitethroat: Flashes = 2
Chiffchaff: NM = 2, Moors = 2, Flashes =1

Birding on the reserve today

Moors: GCG 2 + chick, Little grebe 2, shelduck, tufted 42, Lapwing pr + 4 chicks ( 3 + days old), Oystercatcher 4 + chick, Snipe seen Bob O, Med Gull 2nd s, BHG no more than 80 pairs ( there were 127 sitting late April), Common Tern 8, uzzard 6, kestrel male, kingfisher, swift 30,

North Moors: Shoveler 2 males, tufted 6, coot 1 brood,

Flashes:Shoveler pr, shelduck 6 + 8 chicks, gadwall male, tufted 24, Avocet 28 + 23 chicks ( broods), Lapwing 11, 2 broods of 1 and 4 and 3 still sitting, LRP 5, Oystercatcher 2, black tailed godwit 2, stock dove 6, green woodp,

Friday 22nd May 0900-1245

Moors: GCG 2 + chick, Little grebe 2, shelduck, tufted 42, Lapwing pr + 4 chicks ( 3 + days old), Oystercatcher 4 + chick, Snipe seen Bob O, Med Gull 2nd s, BHG no more than 80 pairs ( there were 127 sitting late April), Common Tern 8, uzzard 6, kestrel male, kingfisher, swift 30,

North Moors: Shoveler 2 males, tufted 6, coot 1 brood,

Flashes:Shoveler pr, shelduck 6 + 8 chicks, gadwall male, tufted 24, Avocet 28 + 23 chicks ( broods), Lapwing 11, 2 broods of 1 and 4 and 3 still sitting, LRP 5, Oystercatcher 2, black tailed godwit 2, stock dove 6, green woodp,

A promising day with a muggy, warmer feel and overcast skies on southerly winds at the end of May again spectacularly failed to deliver any form of passage, although it was very encouraging to see all the emerging chicks. Counts higher or additional to John as follows:

MOORS POOL
1 Mute Swan, 9 Canada Geese, 4 Shoveler (2 pairs), 53 Tufted Duck, 31 Coot, 4 Little Grebe, 10 Common Tern, 2 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull

SAILING POOL
2 GC Grebe, 4 Tufted Duck, 7 Coot, 15 Canada Geese, Cetti's Warbler, 2 Common Tern (presumably part of the 10 at the Moors Pool)

FLASHES

3 Gadwall (all males), 3 Shoveler (2 males + female), 13 Coot, 2 Mute Swan (later on the Sailing Pool), 4 Canada Geese, Raven, Jay, 2 Buzzard, 2 LBB Gull

See you all on Sunday for the Red-necked Phal brought in by the morning rain 8-P

Last edited:

This was one more chick than I managed - I suspect the discrepancy was on the far shore. How many chicks did you have in how many broods?

Update on Avocet broods

Brood A - 4 young hatched from the left hand side of the peninsular. Still have 4 young, currently located on the foreshore to the left of the hide
Brood B - 4 young hatched from the left hand of the first Flash island. Reduced to 3 young, now relocated to the "saucer" (ringed bird "64" appears to be the father)
Brood C - 3 young hatched from the first Flash island. Still have 3 young, currently located on the foreshore to the far left of the hide and often very difficult to see all the young
Brood D - 2 young hatched from one of the small islands in the saucer. Still have 2 young, currently ranging between the right hand side of the peninsular to the left hand end of the delta
Brood E - 3 young hatched from the right hand of the pair of second Flash islands. Still have 3 young, ranging between the right hand side of the delta and the secondary fox fence
Brood F - 4 young hatched from the right hand of the pair of second Flash islands. Now reduced to 3 young, currently on the "beach" in front of the third Flash
Brood G - 3 young hatched from one of the islands in the "saucer". Now reduced to 2 young, currently located on the far shore near the sewage work beach
Brood H - 1 young more recently hatched from island just right of the peninsular. Moved to the end of the peninsular but now lost
Brood I - 2 young hatched from one of the islands in the saucer. Moved to the grassy knoll and now onto the far shore on the sewage work beach, still with 2 young (often mixing with Brood G)
Brood J - 2 young on the far shore in line with the depth marker, now reduced to 1 chick

In summary, to date 10 broods have hatched 28 young with 23 still surviving. At least one and potentially two birds remain sitting.

Update from Flashes. 5.30 start.. My first cuckoo of year by Hen pool. Otherwise as yesterday. 2 blackwits..only the brood of 4 lapwing in meadow remain...all other young shelduck and avos ok. The single chick has moved to the spit in front of hide... Cool SW wind...

Update from Flashes. 5.30 start.. My first cuckoo of year by Hen pool. Otherwise as yesterday. 2 blackwits..only the brood of 4 lapwing in meadow remain...all other young shelduck and avos ok. The single chick has moved to the spit in front of hide... Cool SW wind...

In tomorrow's rain we trust! ;)

Sad about the single Lapwing chick but success rate even historically has been very poor of hatched youngsters making it to fledging

John - can you just confirm the position with opening times for the Sailing Centre car park currently. I note that the travellers are back, in a field adjacent to Junction 5. Plenty of green open space at the chateau they could park up in 3:)

The survival rates for the chicks of waders that have bred at Upton Warren are as follows as per the BTO website; unfortunately they are not all quoted on a like-for-like basis:

Avocet - 0.410 (first 12 months)
Little Ringed Plover - no data available
Oystercatcher - 0.390 (0-5 years)
Lapwing - 0.595 (first 12 months)
Redshank - 0.430 (first 12 months)

I suspect that Avocet have the best rate at Upton Warren by some margin; if I have a spare hour or so later I will try crunching the numbers.

Moors: no migration...a snipe again appeared on the shorine of the east bank..breeding totals lapwing at least 2 chicks in snipe island/south island area. 4 ads. Oystercatcher 4 ads +1 chick. GCG +1 chick. Common tern 5 sitting on 4 of the 5 rafts. Med gull

John - can you just confirm the position with opening times for the Sailing Centre car park currently. I note that the travellers are back, in a field adjacent to Junction 5. Plenty of green open space at the chateau they could park up in 3:)

As far as I am aware Phil the Cafe opens at 10am.

Dave J reports from the Flashes:

30 Avocets with 23 young, 2 Black-tailed Godwits, 2 Med Gulls (2s and 1s), 8 Shelduck young, Cuckoo and 2 Lapwing broods (4:1).

I will clarify with him whereabouts the Lapwing broods are located

Last edited:
Dave J reports from the Flashes:

30 Avocets (23 young), 2 Black-tailed Godwits, 2 Med Gulls (2s and 1s), 8 Shelduck young and 2 Lapwing broods (4:1).

I will clarify with him whereabouts the Lapwing broods are located

The 4 are the first brood to emerge from the sewage meadow whilst the 1 is from the bird on the foreshore to the right of the hide (Dave reports it still appears to be sitting so hopefully more to come)

Spotted Sand in Herefordshire today so westerlies may bring something in ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back