• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (97 Viewers)

Besides a good variety of birds at Upton today, there were 12 different Butterflies.

The new channel at the moors is proving beneficial for the local wildlife, a steady supply of young fish for the
Terns (backwards and forwards with fish for the greedy youngsters) and an abundance of Dragonflies incl. an Emperor

Richard

Fairly quiet this evening at the flashes. The Black-tailed Godwit flew off south @8 pm, the adult Dunlin remained. Other waders: Avocet 5 ad & 6 juvs (haven't seen fourth one from brood in front), 17 Curlew, 46 Lapwing, one Snipe, five Green Sand & three Oystercatchers. Nothing unusual in gull roost (so far), two juv Shelducks and 17 Teal plus 19 Greylags over south-east. Sedge Warbler by first boardwalk plus one or two Goldcrests in larches on south side of Sailing Pool on way down.

sorry forgot, yesterday spotted a fox north end of 1st flash on grassy knoll in between frag
some pics from this evening.
2nd pic juv Avocet attacked by BHG looked like it may damaged left leg.
3 & 4 LBBG Juv looking around some old hunting ground.

Tim. Where was the fox, the grassy knoll 1st Flash outside the fox fence? The Grassy knoll is just left of the saucer. We will be putting up a diagram with all the main physical features of the Flashes in due course.B :)

Interesting 5 hours this morning, total of 55 birds with some standard ones missing too. Best bit of action Sparrowharks passing food to each other in flight, plus 3 Heron not getting on together to well.
Still not seen a Kingfisher later has anyone got a photo lately?

0P1A0161.jpg
a couple of fridays ago

Fairly quiet this evening at the flashes. The Black-tailed Godwit flew off south @8 pm, the adult Dunlin remained. Other waders: Avocet 5 ad & 6 juvs (haven't seen fourth one from brood in front), 17 Curlew, 46 Lapwing, one Snipe, five Green Sand & three Oystercatchers. Nothing unusual in gull roost (so far), two juv Shelducks and 17 Teal plus 19 Greylags over south-east. Sedge Warbler by first boardwalk plus one or two Goldcrests in larches on south side of Sailing Pool on way down.

The other day it took me an hour to find the 3rd of the older chicks. So it could be crashed out somewhere. LRP is still ok , according to your text you sent me8-P:t:

Besides a good variety of birds at Upton today, there were 12 different Butterflies.

The new channel at the moors is proving beneficial for the local wildlife, a steady supply of young fish for the
Terns (backwards and forwards with fish for the greedy youngsters) and an abundance of Dragonflies incl. an Emperor

Richard

Hi Richard, yes the 'Bittern' channel is certainly performing well, for a range of wildlife. I saw many dragonflies there today as well as little grebe feeding young and the terns.
Could I just say to everyone, the blue rope parallel to the track is there to stop anyone going down the bank. We have planted a line of scrub to replace the lost hedgerow. The channel was designed to be viewed from the East hide, primarily for Bitterns. The reason for the rope is that the bank is relatively soft and the channel is deep in places. We don't want any accidents and I am sure that the extra 5 feet you gain by going down the bank will not make that much difference to your views or photographs.B :)John

Thursday 6th August 1320-1750

MOORS POOL
1 Avocet, 3 Lapwing, 5+ Gadwall, 5+ Shoveler, c190 Mallard, 31 Tufted Duck plus many broods, 2 adult Mute Swan + 2 cygnets, 20 Greylag Geese, 71 Canada Geese, 3 Grey Heron, 2 Cormorant, 2 GC Grebe, 16 adult Little Grebe + 1 juv + 4 broods (2:1:1:1), c185 Coot, 24 Moorhen, 250 BH Gull, 5 adult Common Terns + 4 fledged juvs + 2 chicks, 1 LBB Gull, Hobby, family party of Wrens on west side of North Moors

SAILING POOL
1 GC Grebe, 2 Mute Swan, 20 Coot, 35 Mallard, 1 Moorhen, 16 Canada Geese, 1 Common Tern

FLASHES
1 Black-tailed Godwit, 1 Snipe, 1 Dunlin, 4 Green Sand, 11 Avocet, 1 adult + 1 juv LRP, 52 Lapwing, 2 juv Shelduck, 2+ Shoveler, 15 Teal, 20 Mallard, 10 Coot, 22 Moorhen, c30 BH Gull

Tim. Where was the fox, the grassy knoll 1st Flash outside the fox fence? The Grassy knoll is just left of the saucer. We will be putting up a diagram with all the main physical features of the Flashes in due course.B :)

sorry didn't know there was already a grassy knoll, the clearing I was trying describe is I believe out side the fox fence , if you look down at the 1st flash there is a clearing between the frag in line with the farm buildings. Any reason why the frag has not filled this gap?

Late news of Little Egret and male Redstart at the Flashes yesterday and 2 Greenshank at the Flashes on Tuesday morning

PS A rabbit expired right under the main Flashes hide yesterday afternoon (on the shore at the end of the "inlet" channel). Will be interesting to see if its there today; if not it probably means that a fox is inside. Also at least 3 dead BHGs and what appeared to be a dead Lapwing on the far shore near the Shelduck box island

Last edited:
Photo's from Thursday

Photo 1 Grey Heron

Photo 2-3 Kingfisher

Photo 4 Shoveler

Attachments

• Grey Heron A 2J4A0785.jpg
    Grey Heron A 2J4A0785.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Kingfisher A 2J4A0815.jpg
    Kingfisher A 2J4A0815.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 99
  • Kingfisher A 2J4A0817.jpg
    Kingfisher A 2J4A0817.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Shoveler A 2J4A0740.jpg
    Shoveler A 2J4A0740.jpg
    874.9 KB · Views: 91
sorry didn't know there was already a grassy knoll, the clearing I was trying describe is I believe out side the fox fence , if you look down at the 1st flash there is a clearing between the frag in line with the farm buildings. Any reason why the frag has not filled this gap?

Hi Tim. I thought you meant that bit. No its strange why no phragy has grown there. But occasionally duck,water rail, Snipe and green sand loaf there.

Late news of Little Egret and male Redstart at the Flashes yesterday and 2 Greenshank at the Flashes on Tuesday morning

PS A rabbit expired right under the main Flashes hide yesterday afternoon (on the shore at the end of the "inlet" channel). Will be interesting to see if its there today; if not it probably means that a fox is inside. Also at least 3 dead BHGs and what appeared to be a dead Lapwing on the far shore near the Shelduck box island

there always seems to be an increase in BHG's mortality when the roost increases. The rabbits are getting through the side of the main gate to right of hide. Hopefully too small for foxes.

Phil
The rabbit appeared to be squirming/dust bathing then keeled over and died, it did not look natural (although I`ve never seen a rabbit die!). Could it be possible that it was poisoned? and the birds.

Richard

Phil
The rabbit appeared to be squirming/dust bathing then keeled over and died, it did not look natural (although I`ve never seen a rabbit die!). Could it be possible that it was poisoned? and the birds.

Richard

I have seen them die from myxomatosis and that makes them die strangely. I watched one young rabbit walk into a the shallows and drown.

Looks like the Avocets won't be around much longer. Both family parties calling constantly this morning from c.8.30 and headed off north. So far only the family with three juvs has returned, though others may be on Moors. Two other adults also still present. LRP ad & juv still here, with six Green Sands, ad Dunlin, c.50 Lapwing, two Snipe and a Curlew. Warming up so passerines may perform soon, only Linnet & Goldfinch so far. Green Woodpecker(s) vocal, two Ravens, a Buzzard and a semi-distant hot air balloon over. Terns of various species at other Midlands sites, something to keep an eye open for.

Second Avocet family now returned to flashes - suppose they may all have been spooked by the hot-air balloon. Also six Shovelers - presumably 'our' birds - and a dozen Teal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back