• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (148 Viewers)

Some time back up thread there was a discussion regarding the possibility of a solar farm between the A38 and M5 just north of Upton Warren village, accommodating nearly 34,000 solar panels. Just as an update, having been refused planning permission by both Wychavon and Bromsgrove District Councils (the site identified spans the two administrative areas), a subsequent appeal by the developer (Green Switch) to the Secretary of State for Communities has now also been rejected with the Planning Inspectorate supporting the original decision.
It appears that the Farmer who owns the fields both sudes of the A38 adjacent to the Moors is always doing something other than farming on most of them. I just hope one day he might offer the Trust an option to buy them.:t:

Sailing pool Car park

Margaret and Phil have told me that the swimming club have now got a session on Wednesdays 7pm -9pm. The car parks this Wednesday wete absolutely rammed and even the approach road was strewn with haphazard parking. We have no say on the matter and I hope this fad will drop off. So if you are planning to visit the Flashes on a Wednesday evening be aware. The same applies to Saturday mornings. They swim from 7am - 9am so car park starts filling from 6.30 am.
Tomorrow I plan to be at Flashes by 5.45 and will open the car park up. I will close the gate behind me so if you are planning to go birding in the morning get there early don't leave car outside you might cause problems.B :)

2014-2015 Biennial Report

I have now got 5 reports left. Plus the 13 pre-ordered (see list)
If your name is not on the list and you want one ring text or PM me
B :)John
John Ridley
John Lay
Alan Giles
Phil Owen
Phil and Margaret
Paul Anthony
Geoff Williams
Graham Laboucherie
Dave Walker
Andy Dann
Francis Peplow
Tony Howell
Paul Lapworth
Martin Gaceous Clay

Last edited:
Happy to spot the Ruff (still there at 17.00) well spotted Mr Thomson, when I saw it was right of the old shelduck box at the waters edge look against the reeds (thanks keith) quite a petty female but best seen with a scope.The bird not Keith

The morning started and pretty much finished with a walk to the East hide spotting many long tailed tits along the way. Plenty of cetti's briefly popping up and then disappearing, but there was one little fellow that caught my attention and kept me totally absorbed for 25 minutes. Preening himself having recently fledged from its nest, he went from scruffy damp mess to, almost fluffy recognisable bird, yes a blue tit. I know, not the rarest of birds but a magic moment to watch nevertheless.
Never made it to the hide!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/piedflycatcher/

Attachments

• 6P2A6629.jpg
    6P2A6629.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 6P2A6754.jpg
    6P2A6754.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 6P2A6805.jpg
    6P2A6805.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Diversity on the moors this afternoon!

No, not the dancers thankfully! Not so good on dragonfly and damselfly ID but I think these two are Broad Bodied Chaser and Common Blue? The roe buck was with a doe on the North Moors as was the Mistle Thrush that came to check us out, the duckling is there simply for an "Ahhh" moment - hope it works!!!

Attachments

• Forum 1.jpg
    Forum 1.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Forum 2.jpg
    Forum 2.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Forum 3.jpg
    Forum 3.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Forum 4.jpg
    Forum 4.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Forum 5.jpg
    Forum 5.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 60
No, not the dancers thankfully! Not so good on dragonfly and damselfly ID but I think these two are Broad Bodied Chaser and Common Blue? The roe buck was with a doe on the North Moors as was the Mistle Thrush that came to check us out, the duckling is there simply for an "Ahhh" moment - hope it works!!!

Your Common Blue is an Azure Damselfly.

Des.

Large caterpillar

Muntjac junior heard this munching on the reed and tracked it down through the sound - seen on the Moors on Monday evening, not sure if it's of any interest?

Attachments

• Unknown 1.jpg
    Unknown 1.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 99
An early start 5.30 am at the Flashes with Dave J at Moors Later joined by Chris T, Gert, Spike , Dave J, Rob G , Glenn H and Paul R.
The heavy overnight/early morning rain gave us more optimism of a goody.
As it turned out there was a scattering of migrants.
But as always the breeding species take priority. Three negatives at the Flashes were the loss if 2 of the 3 oystercatcher chicks and the long sitting Avocet on the Right hand island had finally abandoned and lastly the sitting lapwing in front had lost 3 of its 4 eggs. The male carried out broken shells - possibly trampled or coot predation.
All 10 lapwing chicks were ok as was the only avocet chick now 2 weeks old. The redshank continues to incubate. There are now record numbers of adult Avocet 43*. The Shoveler brood is still holding up with 18 chicks still in tow. The shelduck are acting as if there is going to be an imminent show of young. Today 5 adults flew around the southern farm building. The all landed on the small building roof. As Shelduck have nested there before I get the feeling they are nesting in the farmyard.
Apart from this there were migrants as follows :-

Flashes : Little egret. ruff female. Ringed plover. Pochard 2 males. Hobby. swift c100.

Moors : Pochard same as flashes. Common Sand. cormorant 5 Intriguingly a SNIPE continues to appear.

Breeding Survey Flashes. Reed warbler 10. Reed bunting 8 sedge w. chiffchaff 2.

Also seen at Flashes. Shoveler 2prs. Gadwall 5. Shelduck 5. Tufted 45. Lapwing 14. LRP 4. common tern. peregrine kestrel, kingfisher. Raven . Whitethroat.

Last edited:
I have now got 5 reports left. Plus the 12 pre-ordered (see list)
If your name is not on the list and you want one ring text
or PM me £6
B :)John
John Ridley
John Lay
Alan Giles
Phil Owen
Phil and Margaret
Paul Anthony
Janette
Dave Walker
Andy Dann
Francis Peplow
Tony Howell
Paul Lapworth

Last edited:
An early start 5.30 am at the Flashes with Dave J at Moors Later joined by Chris T, Gert, Spike , Dave J, Rob G , Glenn H and Paul R.
The heavy overnight/early morning rain gave us more optimism of a goody.
As it turned out there was a scattering of migrants.
But as always the breeding species take priority. Three negatives at the Flashes were the loss if 2 of the 3 oystercatcher chicks and the long sitting Avocet on the Right hand island had finally abandoned and lastly the sitting lapwing in front had lost 3 of its 4 eggs. The male carried out broken shells - possibly trampled or coot predation.
All 10 lapwing chicks were ok as was the only avocet chick now 2 weeks old. The redshank continues to incubate. There are now record numbers of adult Avocet 43*. The Shoveler brood is still holding up with 18 chicks still in tow. The shelduck are acting as if there is going to be an imminent show of young. Today 5 adults flew around the southern farm building. The all landed on the small building roof. As Shelduck have nested there before I get the feeling they are nesting in the farmyard.
Apart from this there were migrants as follows :-

Flashes : Little egret. ruff female. Ringed plover. Pochard 2 males. Hobby. swift c100.

Moors : Pochard same as flashes. Common Sand. cormorant 5

Breeding Survey Flashes. Reed warbler 10. Reed bunting 8 sedge w. chiffchaff 2.

Also seen at Flashes. Shoveler 2prs. Gadwall 5. Shelduck 5. Tufted 45. Lapwing 14. LRP 4. common tern. peregrine kestrel, kingfisher. Raven . Whitethroat.

7 Shelduck chicks at Flashes this morning. Female Ruff still here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back