• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (137 Viewers)

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Shelduck (6)+7 chicks-----------------------Avocet (43) + 1:1 chicks. One newly hatched today.
Lapwing ( 4:3:2:1 chicks)--------------------Redshank (2)
Shoveler (2prs) + min of 13 chicks----------Oystercatcher (2) + 1 chick
LRP (4)---------------------------------------Teal (2m + f)
Gadwall (f)-----------------------------------Peregrine

MOORS:
Red Kite--------------------------------------Common Tern ( 4 sitting) +4
Oystercatcher (2) + 2 chicks----------------Snipe (1)
Redshank. Not thought to be Flashes bird. Flew off WNW.
Gadwall (2)-----------------------------------Whitethroat (2)
Kestrel----------------------------------------Sparrowhawk
Cetti's Warbler (2)

SAILING POOL*/ HEN POOL#
Cetti's Warbler *#

Des.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Shelduck (6)+7 chicks-----------------------Avocet (43) + 1:1 chicks. One newly hatched today.

MOORS:
Cetti's Warbler (2)

SAILING POOL*/ HEN POOL#
Cetti's Warbler *#

Des.

Des Was redshank still sitting

I could only assume so, it was never visible. The other Redshank was always feeding close by when I was at the Flashes, morning and evening.

Do you think the Moors Redshank was one of the pair?

Des.

Hope not would have thought both would have left together unless peregrine caught it:eek!: We will see tomorrow. I think the redsh an will be ok. Another week to go till hatching. .fingers crossed.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:

MOORS:
Cetti's Warbler (2)

SAILING POOL*/ HEN POOL#
Cetti's Warbler *#

Des.

Which brood were the two remaining Oystercatcher chicks at the Moors Pool from Des?

May closed with a monthly list of 107 species and the year list advanced to 133.

Possible additions in June include Yellow-legged Gull, Turnstone, Temminck's Stint, Red-necked Phalarope, Wood Sandpiper, Little Tern and Whinchat

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Cetti's Warbler (2)

SAILING POOL*/ HEN POOL#
Cetti's Warbler *#

Des.

This is the twelfth June record for Snipe at Upton Warren that I can find following on from records in 1989, 1992, 1994, 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2015 so perhaps not quite as unusual as may be thought.

Snipe were noted drumming in 1984 when two birds lingered until the 16th May whilst two displayed during late April in 1988. In 1994 a pair were observed "chipping" and chasing at the Flashes in early May. Perhaps something interesting is finally happening this year .....

had a few hours today, saw a grey wagtail and a slow worm, no idea what i've photographed, a spider, 3 moths and a fly.

Des tells me the spider has been done leaving the 'moths' and the fly. Second photo is of an Epiblema sp. (scutulana, cirsiana, or poss. stricticana), really need to see it in the hand. Photo 3 is not a moth but a fly, an Owl midge sp (there are 1500 of them!). Photo 4 is a Sedge Moth, a Glyphipterigidae sp. probably G.simpliciella the Cocksfoot Moth. Photo 5 is a hover fly, but not enough of it has been photographed to determine sp. most likely are the marmalade or sun flies. Happy to be corrected. JS

Des tells me the spider has been done leaving the 'moths' and the fly. Second photo is of an Epiblema sp. (scutulana, cirsiana, or poss. stricticana), really need to see it in the hand. Photo 3 is not a moth but a fly, an Owl midge sp (there are 1500 of them!). Photo 4 is a Sedge Moth, a Glyphipterigidae sp. probably G.simpliciella the Cocksfoot Moth. Photo 5 is a hover fly, but not enough of it has been photographed to determine sp. most likely are the marmalade or sun flies. Happy to be corrected. JS

Apparently, according to my source, the spider is either A cucurbitina or A opisthographa, but once again difficult to determine from the image. Neither species is uncommon in Worcestershire.

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back