• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (88 Viewers)

In addition
Little egret 2. Shoveler 26. Pochard 21. Shelduck.
Cormorant 30+.
Curlew 9. . Coot 55.
Starling 350 circled at 4.15pm but I left then . They looked like they were going to roost
John :t:

Also 40 Coot, 5 GC Grebe, Little Egret, Pochard(drake), Tufted Duck(fem) and 2 Grey Wagtail at Sailing Pool; Treecreeper & Goldcrest in tit flock along the Salwarpe plus 2 Jays.

There were 3 Little Egret viewable at the north end of the Moors Pool from the Jacobs Hide - this may have included the one seen earlier at the Sailing Pool.

Redwings were everywhere, particularly along the path to the Flashes hides, the path to the Jacobs Hide and along the Salwarpe.

The only Fieldfare I saw were in the trees between Sagebury Farm and the sewage works at the Flashes.

From the Flashes early morning Andy P reports:

Little Owl again on the dilapidated barn, Jack Snipe on the far shore right of the oak tree

Today's highlights:

MOORS/ N MOORS*
Whooper Swan (4)-----------------Pochard (21)
Shoveler (22)-------------------------Teal (20) (2)*
Gadwall (pr)--------------------------Tufted Duck (25)
Snipe (5)------------------------------Lapwing (13)
Curlew (3)-----------------------------Cormorant (20)
G C Grebe (1) (1)*-------------------Little Grebe (6)
Water Rail (1)-------------------------Cetti's Warbler (2)
Coal Tit *------------------------------Chiffchaff (1) in bushes near the metal gate to east hide.
Mute Swan (3)

FLASHES- disturbed due to the presence of contractors:
Curlew (11)----------------------------Snipe (1)
Lapwing (c250) over.

SAILING POOL:
Pochard (5)----------------------------Little Egret (5) roosting.
B H Gull--------------------------------Greylag Goose (58)
Wood Pigeon (c800) over (JS)--------Little Grebe (1)
G C Grebe (3)

Des.

Last edited:
From the Moors Pool this morning Andy P reports:

4 Whooper Swans, 25 Pochard, female Wigeon, 32 Lapwing, 8 Snipe, Curlew, Kingfisher

From the Moors Pool this morning Andy P reports:

4 Whooper Swans, 25 Pochard, female Wigeon, 32 Lapwing, 8 Snipe, Curlew, Kingfisher
On this grotty grey cold day the only extra to Andy's list was a male Blackcap just outside the North Moors hide.
At the Flashes Redwings seemed to be everywhere but few Fieldfare.:t:

On this grotty grey cold day the only extra to Andy's list was a male Blackcap just outside the North Moors hide.
At the Flashes Redwings seemed to be everywhere but few Fieldfare.:t:
At lunchtime there were 2 or 3 Fieldfare and a female Blackcap feeding in apple tree near secret garden.

Reports yesterday from the reserve from Tim and Paul R:

MOORS POOL
4 Whooper Swans, Little Egret, 22 Pochard, Little Grebe, 266 Lapwing, 4 Snipe, 2 Water Rail from the causeway, 70 Redwing, 12 Fieldfare, Tawny Owl noted over the east track and flying from Lifestyles towards the North Moors

FLASHES
2 Curlew, Peregrine, large numbers of Wood Pigeon again, many Lapwing, decent sized Redwing flock

SAILING POOL
1 Little Egret, 1 Grey Heron, 55 Greylag Geese, 4 Great Crested Grebe

just some pics from yesterday.
1 & 2 New fencing going in.south of the main hide and north. looks a big job not just putting new fence but removing old one.
3.Sailing pool busy always best to check every bird just in case.
4 Top corner of the Moors causeway very busy Chaffinch, Blackcap, .Redwings and Tits .
5 birds behavior never gets boring.
Highlight seeing the Tawny Owl fly though the trees by Lifestyles so happy forgot to notice what time ,thanks to Paul C for spotting it in the first place :t:

Attachments

• IMG_7529 (2).JPG
    IMG_7529 (2).JPG
    727.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7530.JPG
    IMG_7530.JPG
    858.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7532 (2).JPG
    IMG_7532 (2).JPG
    559.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7536 (2).JPG
    IMG_7536 (2).JPG
    481.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7539 (2).JPG
    IMG_7539 (2).JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 54
another couple of evening hours spent at the Moors all the main birds still there as this mornings reports. Did have Buzzard ,Peregrine and Kestrel plus a small brown raptor being chased low over the water by a crow,the bird was fast and very agile finishing in the top of a tree on the education res. Paul C reckoned Merlin but not 100% ,Steve only saw the bird heading to the tree a distance away . The bird was brown 1/2 to 1/3 smaller than the crow.After doing some homework I can only go with either Merlin or a juv sparrowhawk. Didn't notice if other bird watchers were still in the other hides and if they did see it then please report.

another couple of evening hours spent at the Moors all the main birds still there as this mornings reports. Did have Buzzard ,Peregrine and Kestrel plus a small brown raptor being chased low over the water by a crow,the bird was fast and very agile finishing in the top of a tree on the education res. Paul C reckoned Merlin but not 100% ,Steve only saw the bird heading to the tree a distance away . The bird was brown 1/2 to 1/3 smaller than the crow.After doing some homework I can only go with either Merlin or a juv sparrowhawk. Didn't notice if other bird watchers were still in the other hides and if they did see it then please report.

Hi Tim
Have you an approx. time on the sighting as I did have Sparrowhawk hunting the area on my way to the concrete hide after I left you at the north moors and seeing Paul C. at the car park.
Cheers Glenn

Hi Tim
Have you an approx. time on the sighting as I did have Sparrowhawk hunting the area on my way to the concrete hide after I left you at the north moors and seeing Paul C. at the car park.
Cheers Glenn
Hi Glenn I don't have a time but it was at least an hour after Paul got in the east hide. happy with a sparrowhawk in the area obviously it being chased by the crow it wasn't in a normal flying pattern, just wished I had seen more merlin so I could make a better ID. Tim

4 Whooper Swans and 24 Pochard at the Moors Pool as per Andy A.

Later Green Sandpiper and 23 Snipe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back