• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (118 Viewers)

Work party tomorrow at Flashes

Tuesday 27th November .
To assist the fencing contractor we will be working at the FLASHES.
We will be removing blackthorn along the new fencing line.. this will increase the area within the sanctuary of the FOX fence. .please meet at Sailing pool car park from 8.45 ..If any later please meet us at the FLASHES Avocet hide.
Bring thick gardening gloves and boots wellies won't be needed.:t:
JohnB :)

The new arrivals seem to have shaken the Whoopers up with only one left now at the Moors Pool - 2 (presumably the newbies) departed east over Lifestyles and with a further 3 (presumably from the long-staying party) flying north over the causeway as per Andy A.

Intriguing report via Gert of a Marsh or Willow Tit at junction of the causeway and east track at the Moors Pool.

Gert was unable to locate it himself; perhaps one for the work party tomorrow. Think this is the third report in such a vein this year .....

Andy P reports more fully from the Flashes:

Black-tailed Godwit until 0805, 12 Curlew, Snipe, c550 Lapwing, 63 Canada Geese, 10 Teal, 16 Linnet, 8 Meadow Pipit, 2 Buzzard, Fieldfare, c30 Redwing, Cetti's Warbler.

The new arrivals seem to have shaken the Whoopers up with only one left now at the Moors Pool - 2 (presumably the newbies) departed east over Lifestyles and with a further 3 (presumably from the long-staying party) flying north over the causeway as per Andy A.

Of the 4 Whoopers one has spent a lot of time away from the other 3. I wonder if is the longer staying bird from ladt winter. :t:

Intriguing report via Gert of a Marsh or Willow Tit at junction of the causeway and east track at the Moors Pool.

Gert was unable to locate it himself; perhaps one for the work party tomorrow. Think this is the third report in such a vein this year .....

Gert mentioned this to me at the flashes so I staked out north moors feeders from about 1415... and located a tit high in the canopy which I figured might have been said bird (not a good view)...but when it dropped on the feeders it was a coal tit...also had treecreeper on nearby tree. No sign of Tawny Owl by 1700. Redpoll also reported near Henbrook hide at flashes

Today's work party at FLASHES

Thanks to all 14 of the crew today..A real effort and well appreciated by the FOX fence contractor.

In cold and later very wet conditions we certainly made a light work of cutting back the blackthorn thickets on either side of the main hide. This will grow back but the contractor needs access to dig trenches to bury the fencing deep into the ground.
The brash was burned along with years of old posts and broken pallets etc that had been burried under years of vegetational growth.
Old fencing and sleeper were moved from along the new fence line. Many of these sleepers were covered in lichen so a small habitat bank was made out of them in front of the main hide.
The hide steps were cleared of moss and dirt.
The cuckoo hide's noisey door (bangs in the wind)has now been dampened.
Thanks to Bobby P for bread pudding and walnut cake.

The crew.
Andy A. Bob O. Bobby P. Charles. Dave H . Graham L. Ian B. Jim B. Julie W. Keith M. Kim W. Steve S Tony B and me.
To view photos of today check my Twitter site.
Also I now have two pairs of gloves found after ladt weeks and this week's party. Give me a text if they are yours...I think last week's belong to one of these Bob R. Ian Joh. Roger S or Terry W..:t: john

Last edited:
Thanks to all 14 of the crew today..A real effort and well appreciated by the FOX fence contractor.

In cold and later very wet conditions we certainly made a light work of cutting back the blackthorn thickets on either side of the main hide. This will grow back but the contractor needs access to dig trenches to bury the fencing deep into the ground.
The brash was burned along with years of old posts and broken pallets that had been burried under years of vegetational growth.
Old fencing and sleeper were moved from along the new fence line. Many of these sleepers were covered in lichen so a small habitat bank was made out of them in GRONT of the main hide.

I won't tell you what gront means in urban slang.8-P

Des

Birding today

Moors first thing foggy and cold this evening wet and windy.
Whooper Swan 4. Mute swan 2.
Cormorant 8. Canada geese 8 (very few during day).
GCG. Little grebe 5
Shoveler 16. Teal 21. Gadwall fem. Mallard 60.
Pochard 20 (5 fems). Tufted 40.
Coot 45. Water rail . Grey heron 3. No little egret.
Snipe 2. Lapwing 250 over. Curlew 2.
C60 winter thrushes West side am.
Cetti's w singing. Starling c20 roosted

FLASHES: Teal 79 feeding in the now wet meadow. Greylag c55. Snipe. Lapwing 200+.

From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

Green Sandpiper, Snipe, 12 Curlew, c500 Lapwing, 44 Teal, 64 Mallard, 202 Canada Geese, c200 BH Gulls, 3 LBB Gulls, Herring Gull

Work Party

Great to see and assist [in a small way] in the progress of the new fox fence. Great mornings work and conversation. Additional thanks to Bobby P for the most excellent bread pudding and cake. Julie's turn for cake next week. Cheers.

Today's highlights:

MOORS/NORTH MOORS*:
Whooper Swan (4)---------------Pochard (25)
Teal (46)----------------------------Shoveler (22)
Gadwall (1)-------------------------Little Egret (2)
Mute Swan (2)----------------------Cormorant (23)
Little Grebe (5)---------------------Snipe (10)
Cetti's Warbler (2)------------------Kingfisher
Fieldfare (c30)----------------------Yellow-legged Gull (ad)
L B B Gull (20)----------------------Herring Gull (5)
Kestrel-------------------------------Coal Tit* (2) at feeding station.

FLASHES/SAILING POOL*
Curlew (13)--------------------------Snipe (3)
Lapwing (c500)----------------------B H Gull (c200)
Grey Wagtail-------------------------Little Egret* (6) roosting tonight.
L B B Gull (41)

Des.

Also a ringed LBB Gull as per Andy Pitt - blue leg ring with orange text DPD. Bird originates from a scheme in the south of the county but don't recall it being previously recorded at Upton.

Last edited:
From the Flashes this morning Andy P reported:

4 Shelduck new in; also Little Egret, Green Sandpiper, 5 Curlew, 4 Snipe, c500 Lapwing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back