• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (137 Viewers)

Of interest re the LRP chicks last night was the parents tenacity in protecting them against the Black Headed Gulls and an Avocet. In turn the Gulls and Avocets saw off Lesser BB Gulls and a Heron so there are advantages in all 3 breeding together..

Also of note was one roosting Curlew last night and a Black Headed Gull chick swallowing an entire Mole!

I will be there again on Sunday night during the next round of Football hysteria..8-P

Bet you cant wait for an Ingurland vs Fatherland semi-final 8-P

1 Green Sand on Moors and 2 Green Sand on the flashes this morning only noticed 1 LRP Chick on the Flashes this morning no Cuckoo's seen or heard today as yet(left about 2.45pm)

Last edited:
Thought I would add a couple of photographs from this morning, would like some help with the first one it was taken just as you turn of the road and go through the gate to the east hide.

The second one is of the Green Sandpiper in front of the East hide on the moors

The third is of the Oystercatcher and the Green Sandpiper on the mors

The fourth is of the new Lochness Monster (just joking) the great crested grebe and chicks on the sailing pool

The fifth one is of the Red Fox on the island in front of the east hide on the moors just safter this was taken we watched as the fox waded through the water and went behind the shrubbery on the end of the next island

Attachments

• 00 (16).JPG
    00 (16).JPG
    82 KB · Views: 123
  • 00 (60).JPG
    00 (60).JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 00 (116).JPG
    00 (116).JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 00 (185).JPG
    00 (185).JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 00 (67).JPG
    00 (67).JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Thought I would add a couple of photographs from this morning, would like some help with the first one it was taken just as you turn of the road and go through the gate to the east hide.

The fourth is of the new Lochness Monster (just joking) the great crested grebe and chicks on the sailing pool

The fifth one is of the Red Fox on the island in front of the east hide on the moors just safter this was taken we watched as the fox waded through the water and went behind the shrubbery on the end of the next island

Good pics Adrian. Chiffchaff for the 1st one maybe?

Rob

Hi Adrian,

Your first pic is of a Chiffchaff. Thanks for posting the photos - worrying about the fox..

Great shots Adrian, i too had an encounter of the fox lurcing behind the sand martin box on sunday.

More nursery stories

Seen today

The Moors:

3 cygnets, white duck and 4 ducklings, regulation mallard duck with 6 tiny ducklings took them recklessly close to a heron but then called them away, the oystercatchers with 2 nearly mature young, the oystercatcher pair with the 2 young chicks saw off a heron but don't seem as active in feeding as the other pair, and the 2 very stripy grebes are now too large to hitch a lift.

On the path by the transmitter field:

About 15 long-tailed tits in an apparent flock. More than one brood?

The Flashes:

7 Avocet and 1 LRP chick. There was also a just fledged sedge warbler in the bush just below the left-hand window.

Peter

Many thanks all for the ID of the first photograph and your kind comments must say how well the reserve is looking hope to return shortly and join the WWT again many thanks everyone

Kind Regards

BCB

More nursery stories

Seen today
There was also a just fledged sedge warbler in the bush just below the left-hand window.

Peter

Hi Peter - and here's the parent which I saw doing just that last night! - the fledgling was out of sight :t:

Attachments

• sedge.jpg
    sedge.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 89
Today's highlights:

FLASHES/SAILING POOL
Avocet (9+7juvs)------------------------LRP (5+1 chick)
Green Sand (3)--------------------------Curlew (1)
Lapwing (1)------------------------------Shelduck (2)
Teal (m+f)-------------------------------Tufted Duck (13)
Whitethroat (2)--------------------------Common Tern (2)
G C Grebe (4+2juvs)

MOORS:
Oystercatcher ( 4+ 2juvs+3chicks)----Lapwing (1)
Cormorant (1)---------------------------Water Rail (calling)
Sedge Warbler (3)-----------------------Whitethroat (2)

OF INTEREST:
4-Spotted Chaser (min of 3) egg laying at N Moors dragonfly pool.

Des.

A few pics from today at the Moors.

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB4425 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB4425 - Version 2.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 79
  • _ROB4407 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB4407 - Version 2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 83
  • _ROB4351 - Version 3.jpg
    _ROB4351 - Version 3.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 86
  • _ROB4252 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB4252 - Version 2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 83
  • _ROB4206 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB4206 - Version 2.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 88
Today's highlights:

FLASHES/SAILING POOL
Avocet (9+7juvs)------------------------LRP (5+1 chick)
Green Sand (3)--------------------------Curlew (1)
Lapwing (1)------------------------------Shelduck (2)
Teal (m+f)-------------------------------Tufted Duck (13)
Whitethroat (2)--------------------------Common Tern (2)
G C Grebe (4+2juvs)

MOORS:
Oystercatcher ( 4+ 2juvs+3chicks)----Lapwing (1)
Cormorant (1)---------------------------Water Rail (calling)
Sedge Warbler (3)-----------------------Whitethroat (2)

OF INTEREST:
4-Spotted Chaser (min of 3) egg laying at N Moors dragonfly pool.

Des.

Des: where were the sedge warblers, There is no doubt that numbers have crashed. On my last few visits, I have been looking specifically for sedge warblers on territory.
Re the 4 spotted chaser is that the far 'seasonal pool' you refer to. It has become a good area for dragons and their allies, normally it would have dried out by now. I wonder if the work carried out there by our Tuesday work parties have meant that it stays wet all the time, or is it always going to be just an ephemeral wetland.
Yesterday at the Flashes I now think the dragon was an Emperor (not southern hawker)
B :)John

Last edited:
Any help with the ID of the first two photos would be appreciated. First one taken from the East Hide, second taken on the seat on the North Moors walk. Thanks.

Last edited:
A shot from yesterday showing what the Flashes looks like at 0.45. The diagram is copied from our 1999 management manual: It shows the ideal scenario for the water levels at the Flashes throughout the year. These levels still ring true today, last years drought however was out of our hands and water can only be let out. The only input is from the sky
The GCG was taken last week.

Attachments

• FL water levels.jpg
    FL water levels.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 66
  • FL 0.45 Central (2).JPG
    FL 0.45 Central (2).JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 79
  • GCG and chicks (2).jpg
    GCG and chicks (2).jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited: