• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (124 Viewers)

Very quiet today.
Flashes
Avocet 10 ads and 7 chicks, LRP 6 ads No chicks have survived.
Oystercatcher, lapwing 11, curlew 2,
Moors
2nd hand info
Green sand, Oystercatcher 1 new chick seen, GCG both chicks.
common tern are reported to have abandoned nesting.
3 mink (fem and 2 cubs) female seen to kill 2 almost fully grown mallard in just a couple of seconds. :-C

Unfortunately this pattern will be repeated on reserves and non-reserves alike all over the country, this will be one of the worst breeding season for resident and migrant species for decades, the worst sort of weather at the worst time. I have hardly seen a hirundine for days, just the odd couple of Swifts - bad news all round. In addition, birding has been severely curtailed, this is reflected in the lack of postings on forums such as this, this is the same page 4 days on, 4 postings with very little to report but bad news........

The weekend should perk things up at least in the Midlands:t:

Laurie -

Unfortunately this pattern will be repeated on reserves and non-reserves alike all over the country, this will be one of the worst breeding season for resident and migrant species for decades, the worst sort of weather at the worst time. I have hardly seen a hirundine for days, just the odd couple of Swifts - bad news all round. In addition, birding has been severely curtailed, this is reflected in the lack of postings on forums such as this, this is the same page 4 days on, 4 postings with very little to report but bad news........

The weekend should perk things up at least in the Midlands:t:

Laurie -

Am off down Upton now Laurie so hopefully will be posting something a bit more positive later :news:

Saturday 23rd June

A notable SW breeze seemed to keep most passerines down this morning:

MOORS POOL
61 Mallard, 8 Tufted Duck, 4 Moorhen, 56 Coot, 76 Canada Geese, 2 Mute Swans + 3 cygnets, 5 GC Grebe + 2 chicks, 2 Little Grebe, 2 Common Tern, 1 Grey Heron, 2 Cormorant, Sparrowhawk, 2 LBB Gull, 3 Oystercatchers + 3 chicks on Broadmeadow island (the fledged family appear to have moved on), fox very active on the East Island. There was an appreciable increase in wildfowl numbers (presumably with the early broods now fledged) plus several new broods of Mallard and Coot.

SAILING POOL
1 Common Tern, 1 GC Grebe (plenty of sailing activity so I imagine any chicks would be tucked into a corner), 1 Mallard, 10 Canada Geese

FLASHES
5 LRP (no chicks), 10 Avocet + 7 chicks, 10 lapwing, 2 Oystercatcher, 1 Curlerw, 2 Common Tern (probably 4 across the reserve), 1 LBB Gull, Kestrel, 2 Moorhen, 4 Coot, 4 Canada Geese, 11 Tufted Duck, 22 Mallard, 1 Teal (male)

Last edited:
Coming into the last week of June, the monthly list is on a respectable 90 species, despite the poor weather and lack of passage.

Birds still to be encountered include Little Egret, Common Sandpiper, Yellow Wagtail, Coal Tit, Mistle Thrush and Willow Warbler. House Sparrow remains a huge gap in the reserve's year list.

Hello everyone - and good luck for tonight's big match!
Does anybody know a website that shows some facts about how this "spring" compares to other years?
Something along the line of "wettest April in 100 years", "3rd coldest May in 50 years", "2nd least sun periods in June in xx years" or similar?
I start to wish winter was here again - at least one had a few reliable hours of birding every weekend...:eek!:

Coming into the last week of June, the monthly list is on a respectable 90 species, despite the poor weather and lack of passage.

Birds still to be encountered include Little Egret, Common Sandpiper, Yellow Wagtail, Coal Tit, Mistle Thrush and Willow Warbler. House Sparrow remains a huge gap in the reserve's year list.

I had a coal tit on the 8th, feeding amongst greenfinches and bullfinches until the great spotted woodpecker arrived.

Chris

Sumday 24th June

Bit of a mixed morning - more breeding set-backs but also some wader movement (presumably up the River Severn driven by south-westerly winds)

MOORS POOL
10 Oystercatcher (9 adults + 1 fledged youngester) but only 2 chicks on Broad Meadow, 2 Cormorant, 4 GC Grebe but only 1 chick noted, 6 Tufted Duck, 80 Canada Geese, 38 BH Gull, 2 Common Tern, 2 LBB Gull, 2 Mute Swans + 3 cygnets, 3 Moorhen, 41 Mallard, 63 Coot, 1 Little Grebe, Cuckoo.
Counted 23 Bee Orchids along the causeway with Phil Mumby

SAILING POOL
1 Coot, 4 GC Grebe (no sign of any chicks), 1 Common Tern, 10 Canada Geese, 31 Mallard

FLASHES
9 Avocet but only 6 chicks seen, Redshank (earlier at the Moors as per Dave J), 11 Lapwing, 4 Oystercatcher (presumably part of the Moors contingent), 4 LRP (right hand nest abandoned), 1 Teal (drake), 18 Tufted Duck, 29 Mallard, 2 Canada Geese, 215 BH Gull, 2 Common Tern, 6 Coot, 3 Moorhen, LBB Gull through, 3+ fledged Goldfinch, fledged Whitethroat along the path. Last night's Curlew roost reached 10.
Water level 0.46

I will look up the stats for Oystercatcher peak counts later.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris - was that the Moors Pool feeding station?

Yes Phil, i saw it from the bittern hide,

Highlights today include: Redshank, over 10 lapwing and multiple buzzards all round the reserve,
also had a water vole on the path up to the flashes from the sailing pool.

Chris

Last edited:
Bee Orchids

Spent an enjoyable hour this morning looking at the bee orchids growing on the Moors Pool causeway. As previously mentioned, Phil Andrews and I counted 23, with the possibility of a few more being in deeper cover.

They're really doing well, and I urge anyone who visits regularly to take their eyes from the skies for 5 minutes and have a look. Whilst not the rarest of orchids, they're certainly one of Britain's most exotic looking flowers, and a great addition to the reserve.

They've spread and more than doubled their numbers in this spot over the last couple of years, and hopefully with the right conditions (being left alone and not picked!) they'll provide us with even better shows in years to come.

I've attached some pics from this morning. They'll be gone in a month, so make the most of them now!

Phil

http://philmumby.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• e_D2X0015.jpg
    e_D2X0015.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 70
  • e_D2X0036.jpg
    e_D2X0036.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 64
  • e_D2X0050.jpg
    e_D2X0050.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Spent a lot of my time around the north moors this afternoon.
The seasonal pool was alive with at least 2 species of blue damsels and a 4 spotted chaser. The water was alive with minute animals(hydra?) just below the surface, as well as lots of water boatmen, pondskaters and whirligig beetles. There were also several large nymphs below the surface, it appears that this pool is starting to evolve into a thriving little wetland. Hopefully it will become a permanent fixture. The removal of the large willows from in and around it has certainly had an impact. (I will post some photos later)
Birds seen/heard: Water rail, reed warbler (several), sedge warbler 1 of the 3 or 4 on the Moors, whitethroat feeding young, treecreeper around seasonal pool, goldcrest pr - yew plantation. Blackcap 3, chiffchaff 2 singing plus family party.
Moors Pool The family of 3 mink were playing in the sluice area (taking the P), Oystercatcher at least 11 poss 13 ads/juvs plus 3x 8 day old chick, GCG 6 ads plus 2 chicks (1 of the chicks was spending most of its time alone in front of the east hide). Little grebe (Broadmeadow pool), Tufted 7, coot 70 ads Plus 5 broods, Kestrel hunting over NE coppiced area, on and off for half an hour or more. Swift c30, sand martin c20, house martin c20,
The sun certainly made it feel like summer and the passerines were making the most of it, with a lot of singing and feeding.

At the Flashes
A nice bit of passage for a change
2 green sand and a redshank were feeding in the Channel to the left of the hide.
6 oystercatchers rested in the 'delta'. 11 lapwing fed on the east field and 2 curlew came in at 7pm.
The avocet colony consisted of 9 adults and 7chicks (the brood of 3 have split up , making it difficult to count them). Also 4 LRP, male teal, 13 tufted, 4 common tern, 6 stock dove.

oystercatcher's today were in 4 groups (4: 4: 3: 5)
our family of 4 (2 ad + 2 juv), +4 ads, + 2ads and a juv, and the pair with 3 small chicks,
Thus min 11 ad/juvs + 3 chicks to max of 13 ad/juvs + 3chicks

B :)John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back