• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (149 Viewers)

Had an enjoyable visit to Upton today good to catch up with few familiar faces.

Great to see the Med Gulls...video footage to follow.

At the Moors Pool (early pm) today there were 8 Oystercatchers (5 adult and 3 juv). The 3 juv were being attended to on an island by the parents. Whilst the other 3 adults spent a fair amount of time chasing and piping away! A single Common Tern was also at the Moors.

Along the causeway there was a single Pyramidal Orchid in bloom just along from the Bee Orchids.

Jase

Attachments

• Med Gull edit resize - Upton Warren, 3rd July 2012.jpg
    Med Gull edit resize - Upton Warren, 3rd July 2012.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 65

At the Moors Pool (early pm) today there were 8 Oystercatchers (5 adult and 3 juv). The 3 juv were being attended to on an island by the parents. Whilst the other 3 adults spent a fair amount of time chasing and piping away! A single Common Tern was also at the Moors.

Along the causeway there was a single Pyramidal Orchid in bloom just along from the Bee Orchids.

Jase
]nice one Jason - not sure how we've managed to overlook a Pyramidal so far unless its just emerged.

I am after a couple of killer photos from this influx of Meds for the annual report so can you let me know if you are happy for its inclusion (same request to other togs)

Last edited:
]nice one Jason - not sure how we've managed to overlook a Pyramidal so far unless its just emerged.

I am after a couple of killer photos from this influx of Meds for the annual report so can you let me know if you are happy for its inclusion (same request to other togs)

Feel free to use any of my photos Phil. If you decide to use any let me know as I will probably have higher definition ones you could use.

I think the pyramidal was hiding next to all the red clover!

Attachments

• Pyramidal Orchid - Upton Warren, 3rd July 2012.jpg
    Pyramidal Orchid - Upton Warren, 3rd July 2012.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 75

Jase

Good news about Pyramidal Jase. Thought that was lost.

Rob

Use any of mine that you need Phil. Larger res on request.
More images on my Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/forgetfulelephant/

Rob

Maintenance work today at the FLASHES

The recent rain has caused the vegetation to grow rapidly and completely cover the path and board-walk in places, which was dangerous at times and very wet. So today the whole length was either strimmed or hand cut- (close to the hide so as not to disturb the birds). Overhanging branches were also pruned.

In the hide: Hide clamps can now be safely attached to the centre and left front and sides of the hide. (thanks to forgetfulelephant for this).

The boardwalk has been temporarily repaired, but please be careful when walking on it.
Thanks to PM, JC, DH, RC, Baz, JW, REB and me :)B

Popped in early at the Flashes this morning, got my suit soaking wet, just before a long client meeting and dodgy looks from people at the sailing pool...
Anyway, nice to have the opportunity to see 4 Med Gulls and some interesting interaction between a Common Sandpiper and Little Ringed plover, per pic - the LRP won by the way :t:

Attachments

• CSn.jpg
    CSn.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 89
  • MedGulls.jpg
    MedGulls.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 81
Birding at the Flashes.
Just in front of the hide the mud was starting to reappear and it was here that the waders were gathered. The adult avocet are a bit more tolerant now that their chicks are well grown. So at times all the activity was within 50 yards of the hide where the prime wader habitat is. Not only the waders, but also the Med gulls preferred this area, as did the growing linnet flock and most of the birds for that matter.
The water had dropped to within 2cm of the pre-flood level of 0.46. But the persistent rain is certainly slowing up the process.
Species count for the FLASHES
Teal fem, Gadwall eclipse male, Tufted 18, Coot c10 (incl 2 juvs from hen pool), Avocet 8 ads + 5 chicks, LRP 3, Green Sand 4, Common Sand 2, Lapwing 15, Oystercatcher 3 ads (migrants), curlew, Med Gulls 5 (3 ads + 2x 2nd summers), common tern 3, BHG c300, Peregrine, Buzzard 2, Swifts c10, stock dove 5, Sand martin 5, swallow 1, house martin c15, Linnet a flock of 11 plus smaller groups,
plenty of Passerines along the path by Hen pool including Blackcap, chiffchaff, sedge and reed warblers and Song thrush. Unusually 2 cormorants swam around the 2nd flash for a while.
At the Moors briefly
Oystercatcher pr plus 3 chicks that had moved on to the main shingle island, where at times they rested in the dead goose carcass, as seen by Jase K. A pair of sedge warblers were gathering bullrush seed heads to line their nest. cuckoo called from NE corner of pool
B :)John

Last edited:
Popped in early at the Flashes this morning, got my suit soaking wet, just before a long client meeting and dodgy looks from people at the sailing pool...
Anyway, nice to have the opportunity to see 4 Med Gulls and some interesting interaction between a Common Sandpiper and Little Ringed plover, per pic - the LRP won by the way :t:

Great shots mate, these 2 are really posing well for everyone.:t:

Nice one Jase - although I did spend more time trying to work out who the voices were in the background than watching the Med!

I was very crafty and edited out mine and JTB's voices from the video whilst editing the footage...so that's two voices you won't hear! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back