• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (135 Viewers)

Osprey left the Flashes at 18.30 tonight,21 curlew,5 snipe,3 pied wagtails,lapwings,dunlin,1 common sand,5 green sand,800+ BHG,3 LBBG,gadwall,Kestral still hunting at 19.30.
few record shots from Gladys
1 Curlew
2 osprey
3 Find the Osprey
4 Duck doing an impression of a otter:-O

just a note one of the large windows is still tied open

Attachments

• curlew.jpg
    curlew.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 82
  • osprey.jpg
    osprey.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 102
  • flock of seagulls.jpg
    flock of seagulls.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 108
  • duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I saw a friend tonight who told me that he photographed the caterpillar of an Elephant Hawk Moth at the end of last week at the Moors. He said it was about 6 inches long and only identified it when he got home to check his books. I have little knowledge of moths myself so do not know if this record is worthy of note?

Elephant Hawk Moth has been recorded a number of times at Upton, but is a good find nonetheless.

Des.

Which reminds me - I found this Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar crawling across the causeway to the east side of the North Moors on 1 September at about 5pm. Only a tiddler - it was about 4 inches long.
John

Attachments

• Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar.jpg
    Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 72
Osprey left the Flashes at 18.30 tonight,21 curlew,5 snipe,3 pied wagtails,lapwings,dunlin,1 common sand,5 green sand,800+ BHG,3 LBBG,gadwall,Kestral still hunting at 19.30.
1 Curlew
2 osprey
3 Find the Osprey

Lovely photos Gladys! Particularly like the B.H.Gulls en masse. Very atmospheric shot. Keep them coming!

Angie

1 Curlew
2 osprey
3 Find the Osprey

and on the subject of birdie mimics...I watched the BHGulls diving for food. Think they've been watching that Osprey! :-O

Attachments

• _MG_2867.jpg
    _MG_2867.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 75
Half way through September now and the month's list has crept up to 93. We are stll missing any terns (Common, Arctic, Black, Sandwich), Little Egret, Garganey, Whinchat, Wheatear, Spotted Fly, Skylark, Yellowhammer, Red Kite, Marsh Harrier, Common and YL Gulls and a variety of waders (LRP, Ringed Plover, Little Stint, Wood Sand, Curlew Sand, Ruff, Blackwit etc).

Hi Phil,

I was speaking to Bob Hart yesterday morning, who told me that he and others, while waiting for the Osprey to appear, had seen a Spotted Flycatcher in one of the trees by the Sailing Pool last Friday.

Andy.

Which reminds me - I found this Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar crawling across the causeway to the east side of the North Moors on 1 September at about 5pm. Only a tiddler - it was about 4 inches long.
John

Here are the pictures, one looks like an Elephant Hawk Moth (as seen by jjs), but the other I'm not sure.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 91
Hi Phil,

I was speaking to Bob Hart yesterday morning, who told me that he and others, while waiting for the Osprey to appear, had seen a Spotted Flycatcher in one of the trees by the Sailing Pool last Friday.

Andy.

Cheers Andy - we miss Arthur's reports of how they fare in Upton Warren village

sad news i`m affraid guys n gals otter found dead on the main road near the moors big male apparently the chap from the barn conversion took it away to be stuffed i belive. thanks to the lady who told myself and raptor paul about this.

Yes with link to image

Anyone seen the Osprey today

The osprey behaved quite differently today. Was seen fishing unsuccessfully on the sailing pool before 10am then was hassled by gulls and moved in Tardebigge direction. Came back again mobbed by gulls about 11am and again went off towards Tardebigge without fishing. Wasn't at the flashes over the next 2 hours. I wonder if it will be hassled into moving south soon.

Anyway got a picture in flight today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_birder/7999785419/in/photostream

sad news i`m affraid guys n gals otter found dead on the main road near the moors big male apparently the chap from the barn conversion took it away to be stuffed i belive. thanks to the lady who told myself and raptor paul about this.
The lady was me!! So sad to see...it was a beautiful big male with a dark coat. (the otter, not the chap from the barn conversions..lol!).
I have never seen a wild otter up close...stunning creature. Strange as I set out today I wished I would see an otter and I did. Would have preferred a live one though. Damn traffic. They should put traffic calming in along there.
Came home via Grimley. Not a lot about, but the Little Egrets were there along with the usual avian crowd. No sign of the GWE though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back