• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (23 Viewers)

Tuesday work party

A great turn out today with 17 of us including a new oldy. Graham Laboucarde Graham I bet I have spelled it wrong)8-P from the Sunday crew. I'm in the east hide at moment so will update later when I get home

Thanks to Roger, Dave and Peter for the good cake turn out:eat:.
We were curtailed today by the weather so an early start and we managed to complete the planned work.
Thanks to Bob O, Bob P, Bob R, Charles, Dave H, Graham L, Janet H, Jim B, John C, Keith M, Peter E, Roger , Ray C, Sam, Terry W, Tony B and me.B :)

Work was in the Lagoon removing willows within the Marsh. The targeted area was the the western side arm (Lagoon spit). This area is a mixture of juncus reed mace and phragmites. It is where yellow wag last bred on the reserve in 1996. Here also snipe in a normal year will roost during the day. However over the last few years the willows have shaded and dried out the area around them. They are also used by corvids and sparrowhawks to perch in and pounce on wetland species. The area is now good for cetti's warblers and a bird there today. The brash was taken to the southern border and piled up behind the stock fence, where it will be soon overgrown with bramble.

Today we also cleared old brash and bramble from the soon to be replaced stock fence line. Pollarded Willows with 4 years of growth were pruned today in the same area that other brash was piled.

Pics
1. Pic of Lagoon spit in summer (2014) showing how the leaf cover can 'enclose' the area.
2. After today's work
3. The Lagoon 'spit' as viewed from the southern side, after clearing
4. The pollarded willows after the 4 year old growth had been pruned.

Next week we will be planting 130 hedging plants - hawthorn, spindle, wayfaring bush and guelder rose

Attachments

• 1.Lagoon spit willows on west side DSCF2992.jpg
    1.Lagoon spit willows on west side DSCF2992.jpg
    665.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 2. lagoon spit after willows removedDSCF2975.jpg
    2. lagoon spit after willows removedDSCF2975.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 3. spit  20160126_103111.jpg
    3. spit 20160126_103111.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 120
  • 4. 20160126_105748.jpg
    4. 20160126_105748.jpg
    600.2 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Birding at the Moors

Before work I did a duck count and after work all were still present. We also had a 'controlled' snipe flush. Unfortunately our initial concerns of a poor snipe year were confirmed.
Many 100's. of gulls moved south throughout the afternoon.
Thus he's and starlings were in good numbers on the other side of the A38 with a few more on the reserve than of late.
Species count MOORS :
Little egret. GCG. little grebe 3. cormorant 35. Greylag 2. Shoveler 10. Shelduck 3. teal 65. Pochard 21 (14 males and 7 females ). tufted 25. coot 245. water rail 3. Snipe 6. Jack snipe 2. Curlew 12. lapwing 55. BHG 800. LBBG 120. herring gull 20. . kestrel. Buzzard. Collared dove 2. stock dove. kingfisher. Jay ( new for my #Patchwatch ). . Mistle thrush 4. song thrush 3. redwing 10 on reserve plus 60+ on back of west A38 fields. Fieldfare 30. starling 80. Cetti's 2. redpoll. goldfinch 25.

Before work I did a duck count and after work all were still present. We also had a 'controlled' snipe flush. Unfortunately our initial concerns of a poor snipe year were confirmed.
Many 100's. of gulls moved south throughout the afternoon.
Thus he's and starlings were in good numbers on the other side of the A38 with a few more on the reserve than of late.
Species count MOORS :
Little egret. GCG. little grebe 3. cormorant 35. Greylag 2. Shoveler 10. Shelduck 3. teal 65. Pochard 21 (14 males and 7 females ). tufted 25. coot 245. water rail 3. Snipe 6. Jack snipe 2. Curlew 12. lapwing 55. BHG 800. LBBG 120. herring gull 20. . kestrel. Buzzard. Collared dove 2. stock dove. kingfisher. Jay ( new for my #Patchwatch ). . Mistle thrush 4. song thrush 3. redwing 10 on reserve plus 60+ on back of west A38 fields. Fieldfare 30. starling 80. Cetti's 2. redpoll. goldfinch 25.

So based on the last count from the Flashes there may be less than 20 snipe (both species combined) across the reserve?

Flashes 1245-1715
Greylag (20)
Shelduck (1...additional to the 2 on moors)
Teal (40)
Lapwing (450 in roost)
Curlew (13 in roost)
BH Gull (275 in roost)
Stock Dove (3)
Fieldfare/Redwing (50/30)

...but no Barn Owl :C

Just noticed your Curlew count Andy - an extra bird must have joined the wintering flock of twelve.

Down and Out in Upton Warren

Popped down to the Flashes for an hour this afternoon. On the upside a merlin was down there on a post at the back of the Flashes for a few minutes but on the downside when I got to the hide it was inhabited by a tramp...

The extra bird did jion the flock, it didn't stand alone as I've seen one do before. Let's hope it stays.

The curlew seemed very fragmented...only 4 at moors on Monday morning...and at the flashes roost they arrived in several small groups over a period of 25-30 mins, every time you looked there was 1 or 2 more...but final count was definitely 13 ...but back to 12 today I see

The curlew seemed very fragmented...only 4 at moors on Monday morning...and at the flashes roost they arrived in several small groups over a period of 25-30 mins, every time you looked there was 1 or 2 more...but final count was definitely 13 ...but back to 12 today I see

No! Up to 14! More later.

Des.

Popped down to the Flashes for an hour this afternoon. On the upside a merlin was down there on a post at the back of the Flashes for a few minutes but on the downside when I got to the hide it was inhabited by a tramp...

How is that possible - Prescott is in Cornwall at the moment 8-P

Merlin is new for the year - #84 I believe.

Was it a male or female Mike?

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Little Egret (4)------------------Snipe (2)
Teal (30)------------------------Pochard (16)
Shoveler (2)--------------------Tufted Duck (22)
Little Grebe (3)-----------------G C Grebe (1)
Kingfisher-----------------------Cetti's Warbler (2)
Grey Wagtail--------------------Coal Tit (2)
Rook (6)------------------------Raven (2)
Mistle Thrush-------------------Fieldfare (c70)
Redwing (c30)------------------Cormorant (35)
Goldcrest-----------------------Peregrine

FLASHES/SAILING POOL*:
Curlew (14)---------------------Lapwing (c550)
B H Gull (c300)-----------------Teal (20)
Kingfisher*----------------------Greylag Goose (33)*
Tufted Duck (12)*--------------G C Grebe (3)*

Des.

It wasn't me!

Morning by the way and as evidence in my defence against the slur that the tramp was my fair self I present this morning's Biking Birder blog. I am still in Cornwall, just.

http://bikingbirder2016.blogspot.co.uk/

Have a wonderful day everyone :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back