• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (19 Viewers)

Tuesday Work Party at The Moors

As John was otherwise engaged here is a brief account of the work done: the shoreline of the promontory was strimmed in readiness for snipe, the lush vegetation on the Pool Island was cleared, and there was some selective cropping of willows near the East Track.

The new boat generously donated by Charles was subjected to sea trials.

The party comprised Paul, Bob P, Charles, Gerry, Keith, Ray, Roger, Terry, Tony and - very belatedly - me.

Tony's cake was exquisite.

Peter

John B

Thanks for your hospitality tonight at Upton it was a pleasure to meet you and visit your reserve. Some places I've been to the locals won't talk to you let alone tell you where the birds are - Upton is totally the opposite, friendly helpful people.

Steve

Good to meet you too Steve and thanks for your nice words.
The whole BAIRDS Chapter has totally changed my impression that the twitching scene was full of selfish birders and togs. Not one person has been nothing but NICE . Although it was hard work it has been a total pleasure to meet so many people that have had a good experience at our Reserve. The Bairds experience was probably as memorable as the Least sand episode 28 years ago.
:t:B :) John

Contract work today

Neil the Contractor will be starting work on reeds from 9am . He will be entering the Flashes from the sewage works and work along the far shore. The chances are the bird might stay.
However tomorrow the work is in front of the hide and starts very early.
:t:

Moors work party

Tuesday Work Party at The Moors

As John was otherwise engaged here is a brief account of the work done: the shoreline of the promontory was strimmed in readiness for snipe, the lush vegetation on the Pool Island was cleared, and there was some selective cropping of willows near the East Track.

The new boat generously donated by Charles was subjected to sea trials.

The party comprised Paul, Bob P, Charles, Gerry, Keith, Ray, Roger, Terry, Tony and - very belatedly - me.

Tony's cake was exquisite.

Peter

Well done to everyone who took part yesterday. Pleased to hear that the work party was as enjoyable as ever.B :)B :)

John B

Thanks for your hospitality tonight at Upton it was a pleasure to meet you and visit your reserve. Some places I've been to the locals won't talk to you let alone tell you where the birds are - Upton is totally the opposite, friendly helpful people.

Steve

Steve`s gorgeous photo attached to above, deserves a caption, how about:-

"It`s no good you trying to tip-toe past, -I can see you"

Richard

Bairds - any tips?

I'm hoping to go and see this very soon (available on & off daily from tomorrow 'til sunday) and I'm quite keen to get some snaps especially.

I notice there is talk of works taking place various days and at various locations on site as well as reports of full hides etc.

All things considered are there any days or times of day to be tried or avoided? I've not been to this site before so any other helpful tips would be appreciated, as well as a heads up if a long walk is involved (in case I'm pushed for time!).

Thanks! :t:

Hi James

Probably best to wait for Des's report later on the day's birding to see how it reacted to contractors on site. Today the work was on the far shore but tomorrow it switches to the near shore which may force it to leave the site; even if it is present tomorrow it is likely to be feeding some distance from the hide due to the work. However there are no works planned from Friday through to Monday. Hide is approx 8 minutes from the car park.

Last edited:
Hi James

Probably best to wait for Des's report later on the day's birding to see how it reacted to contractors on site. Today the work was on the far shore but tomorrow it switches to the near shore which may force it to leave the site; even if it is present tomorrow it is likely to be feeding some distance from the hide due to the work. However there are no works planned from Friday through to Monday. Hide is approx 8 minutes from the car park.

If the Baird's is anything like the various juvenile Curlew Sandpipers seen at Midd Lakes recently it won't take any notice of the work providing the contractor is careful. We have had people strimming within 20 feet of them and the latest birds continue feeding as birders walk within 10 feet of them, as they are juveniles and probably never seen a human they don't realise the danger, when in large flocks they react differently.
After flying circa 4000 miles it needs to feed up well before continuing it's journey.

Tomorrow Neil (the contractor will be working from 7.30am -4pm. He will be working between the hide and the area where the Bairds is feeding. Hopefully it will go over to the gulley along the meadow next to sewage works.
The next phase of work will be next Wed/Thursday. details when I get them. :t:

Tomorrow Neil (the contractor will be working from 7.30am -4pm. He will be working between the hide and the area where the Bairds is feeding. Hopefully it will go over to the gulley along the meadow next to sewage works.
The next phase of work will be next Wed/Thursday. details when I get them. :t:

The Trust's website indicates there is work occurring at the Flashes on Tuesday?

John B

Steve

Brilliant image...........

keep away from Bittell then...lol

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
BAIRD'S SANDPIPER-still present this evening and the first bird to return to feed after a brief disturbance this morning. In fact, it was the only bird present for about 10 minutes until the Ruff and then Avocets returned. The Lapwing stayed away for some time and duck numbers didn't recover fully during the day.

There were more visitors today e.g from Cheshire and Manchester.

Ruff----------------------Avocet (2)
Curlew (18)--------------Snipe (3)
Teal (38)-----------------Shoveler (50)
Gadwall (1)---------------Peregrine
Kestrel (2)----------------Water Rail
Common Gull (juv)-------L B B Gull (65)
Herring Gull (2)-----------Blackcap (m+f)
Chiffchaff (4)

SAILING POOL:
Cetti's Warbler-----------Grey Wagtail

MOORS:
I didn't go to the Moors but a Little Egret was reported.

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back