• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Attachments

• IMG_5115 (1).jpg
    IMG_5115 (1).jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5116 (1).jpg
    IMG_5116 (1).jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 31
Sorry should have made it clear. Click on Link above. Then click on Google Link. Then scroll down the Book to pages 79 and 80. You can view most of the book on this link. But just to make it easier herewith the relevant bits

Again:

Attachments

• IMG_5115.jpg
    IMG_5115.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5116.jpg
    IMG_5116.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 38
I think one of the problems here is that we not used to seeing nominate Garden Warbler in such an advanced first winter form. I will try the photos in the ID pages and if any of the world birders fancy forming an opinion.

Late flypast of Cormorant over the Moors at dusk, flight of 22 E>W followed by 4 (total 26): checked to see if any Cormorant on Moor pool but they had all left.

Also 700+ BH Gulls S>N over the Moors at dusk presumably heading for Bartley.

Checked BWP re Garden Warbler food: says same as Blackcap, insects followed by berries. Specifically mentions the berries of Euonymus (Spindle).
A couple of weeks ago I had 40 cormorant in V formation come over the North Moors hide from the NE late in the evening headed off SW.:t:

Having had a look at the new N. Moors hide I approve of the way the cut vegetation has been piled up. That's what I meant about egg-laying and shelter piles for grass snakes.

Also like the setting of the hide.

Having had a look at the new N. Moors hide I approve of the way the cut vegetation has been piled up. That's what I meant about egg-laying and shelter piles for grass snakes.

Also like the setting of the hide.

As you don't visit the reserve so much these days Alan, for your information that's what we have been doing in many areas around the reserve over the years.
John belseyB :)

Whooper Swan still at the Moors Pool. Trev J reports three Hawfinch over the North Moors - am just trying to establish if this the same or different to Gavin's sighting

Contract work at FLASHES

Now that the work at rejuvenating the Flashes has now been completed , I thought it would be interesting to show how some of the main features have changed.

The plan to drop the water level a little more next spring meant that the likelihood of it drying out would be increased.
Mitigation for this was to deepen some areas, dredge and desilt others.
Some of the spoil was utilised in increasing the size of many islands and creating others. Spits were also increased and silt was pumped into the 1st flash. At present some of the work cannot be seen as it is below the water line. This includes channel deepening and dredging between the two main second Flash islands. The 'gulley (old drainage ditch in front of the meadow) had completely silted up, so it was dredged along its whole length the spoil was piled up where the old shelduck islands were. This has now formed into a large 'mud' island just off shore from the reed bed on NE shore of 1st Flash.
Many of the islands have been covered in shingle. As an experiment 1 island has been covered with a liner and topped by heavy coir matting.

The Map shows the work
key:
new or improved islands
deep digging
dredging and desilting
silt pumped into this area

Photo's
1 1st Flash and grassy knoll north before
2. after work in area of 1 in background the new mud island
3. The 2 main 2nd Flash islands before work
4. after work

I'll try and get a few more photo's of the other features.

Attachments

• 1Aa1 Flashes after contract wrk Nov 2017 20171110_141321.jpg
    1Aa1 Flashes after contract wrk Nov 2017 20171110_141321.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 1. 1ST Fl is grassy K fLDSCF0419.jpg
    1. 1ST Fl is grassy K fLDSCF0419.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 2. 1ST fl iS GRASSY K DSCF0586.jpg
    2. 1ST fl iS GRASSY K DSCF0586.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 3. 2 main 2nd Fl Islands b4 wrk DSCF6151.jpg
    3. 2 main 2nd Fl Islands b4 wrk DSCF6151.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 4. main 2nd flas Is DSCF0550.jpg
    4. main 2nd flas Is DSCF0550.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
There is an anonymous report on BirdTrack of 10 Black-tailed Godwit yesterday at the Moors Pool; does anyone know anything more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back