• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (11 Viewers)

Came out of the house yesterday morning to find a dead White-winged Dove on our front porch. That's the second one in a month. Damned cats!

Took advantage of the first dry day since Tuesday to drive down to Brazoria National Wildlife Refuge. The refuge had been unusually dry for months but now had plenty of water. While we had a picnic lunch in a shelter, we were able to watch a Barn Swallow coming to its nest in the roof of the shelter. Later, in a roadside pond, we spotted a Black-necked Stilt guarding a chick.

More photos on my blog.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• barn.JPG
    barn.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 40
  • baby-bns.JPG
    baby-bns.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 38
Hows the moth trapping going, ?

My pair of bullfinches flew out from the bottom of the garden this evening with a juvenile in tow!

Not shabby at all mate! 50 or so specie's Id'ed bloody minefield for sure!

The one I like The Drinker B :) plenty i have no clue about hehe good fun all the same and me daughter loves it!:t:

Birds are a little scarce at the moment, Missus rang me at work to say theres a racing pigeon on the front lawn.
He did not hang around though rested and moved on it seemed:t:

karpman

Not shabby at all mate! 50 or so specie's Id'ed bloody minefield for sure!

The one I like The Drinker B :) plenty i have no clue about hehe good fun all the same and me daughter loves it!:t:

karpman

Going well then, plenty of fun to be had, one thing i would do get is a moth trap, along with all the other things im dreaming of lol.

Bird wise, fairly quiet, couple of robins and dunnocks, heard bullfinches again today, oh and c50 Rooks over yesterday evening. Tawny Owl heard again last night.

Another for the garden year list then Karps ;)

hehe indeed having it for sure! If it's good enough for Dave then it's plenty good enough for me!B :)

Cracking photos jeff must catch up on your blog!

Ill send ya message about moth traps micheal instead of spamming here!:t::-O

Karpman

Lots to catch up on here as usual! Some great photos and some good garden spots.

Unfortunately there is a Hedgehog in the road just near our house, hoping it's not our garden visitor, had to distract the little one from spotting as we left home this morning. :-C

On a brighter note there are lots of young House Sparrows about again now, obviously a fertile bunch round here as they seem to be breeding very successfully. :t: The Blue Tit and Goldfinch youngsters are still regular visitors, in fact there is a Blue Tit on the feeder pretty much constantly. The Robin with the shabby feathers is regular too and you can see the feathers tidying up by the day.

Collared Doves, Starlings, Dunnocks and Magpies are the other visitors this week. No sign of any Blackbirds, Great Tits or Woodpigeons at the moment.

A gorgeous little wren has appeared in my garden. Not seen one for years, so delighted its feeding here. Can never get over how tiny they are!

A gorgeous little wren has appeared in my garden. Not seen one for years, so delighted its feeding here. Can never get over how tiny they are!

not had a Wren for ages..... well a month or two. Yes great to have around the garden....... Welcome to this thread. Let us know how it goes on :t:

Came out of the house yesterday morning to find a dead White-winged Dove on our front porch. That's the second one in a month. Damned cats!

Jeff

if its any consolation Jeff at least the cat didn't bring the dove into the house and deposit it on your bare chest whilst you slept :eek!:

Which is what my cat tends to do with live mice and voles !;)

I love the picture of the barn swallow. What a gorgeous looking bird :t:

Hi and welcome :t:

Very fortunate to see a wren . I have only seen one in our garden this year so far. When you see them really closeup their feathers have a fabulous shimmer and richness that isn't apparent at 15 feet plus .

Predicted rain has just arrived as have 9 Greenfich. Have had a pair of Chaffinch for a few days now, looks like their numbers will steadily rise again.

Juveniles still doing well....
Greenfinch 6 regularly, 2 Dunnock, 2 Robin, 2 Great tit (sometimes 3), 3 Blue tits( sometimes 4 or 5), 3 Magpies (still loud and boisturous), only the odd Goldfinch juve now. The Starling and Jackdaw juves are in large numbers when they visit and the 2 Carrion crow juvs are fun to watch.

My Fav is the Woodpigeon juvenile... very cool looking bird, much slimmer than the adults with very buffed pastel colours, and it is still sticking up for itself when terrorised by the magpies.

The housesparrows are very hard to differentiate from the females now

Thank you for your welcomes. He/she certainly seems busy feeding at the moment and doesn't seem at all shy of me if I'm sat out in the garden.

if its any consolation Jeff at least the cat didn't bring the dove into the house and deposit it on your bare chest whilst you slept :eek!: Which is what my cat tends to do with live mice and voles !;)

That would be a nice way to wake up! Luckily, our cats don't do it. My dog in Libya, though, used to bring baby birds in and put them on my pillow so they'd be the first thing I'd see when I opened my eyes.

That might have been a window crash since it was on your porch. Were there any marks on a window?

There weren't any marks on the nearest windows and the body disappeared soon after I saw it. So I'm pretty sure it was cats.

Jeff

Rain steady so most of the birds have taken cover..... except the Woodpigeons who like sitting out in it. The juvenile is preening in the rain (yes I said preening) and then uses its wing to cover its head like an umbrella..... cute fella this juvenile Woody.

Thank you for your welcomes. He/she certainly seems busy feeding at the moment and doesn't seem at all shy of me if I'm sat out in the garden.
Welcome onto the thread, well done with the wren, a bird now absent from my garden for unknown reasons.

Rain steady so most of the birds have taken cover..... except the Woodpigeons who like sitting out in it. The juvenile is preening in the rain (yes I said preening) and then uses its wing to cover its head like an umbrella..... cute fella this juvenile Woody.

Hi dave, i've not even seen any results of the 2 pairs of wood pigeon that have nested here, maybe they failed, or maybe they are just being so secrative,, looks like rain here, but not arrived yet, hoping for a good shower to water the garden and get the bugs going, and of course to save me watering the plants lol.

Grey Heron Over the house earlier, currently got a gold finch feeding away on nyger seed, 3 or 4 dunnocks mousing around too, otherwise quiet,

Have done another edit of my dunnock pics i posted the other day, think this one looks better.
elements005.jpg

energize welcome to the thread, gorgeous little birds aren't they!

Dave i've seen Collared Doves behaving like that in the rain, almost like they are taking a shower - lifting their wings up!

Michael a beautiful shot of the Dunnock.

There are 12 Swifts going loopy above the house at the moment, just love watching them!

Male House Sparrow this morning (its like buses!) and a rare male Greenfinch this evening. Well worth the purchase of another bag of sunflower hearts yesterday!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back