• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (6 Viewers)

Hi folks have anyone noticed the lack of green finches in there gardens? or is it just mine. I haven't had any in for a while now which i find strange. Ive always had good numbers coming in especially this time of year when they start bringing the youngsters to the feeders. cheers col

Hi Col

I AM NEAR BUXTON

WE HAVE HAD LESS GREENFINCHES ON THE WHOLE BUT SOME DAYS THERE ARE A LOT AND OTHER DAYS ONLY ONE OR TWO.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Hi folks have anyone noticed the lack of green finches in there gardens? or is it just mine. I haven't had any in for a while now which i find strange. Ive always had good numbers coming in especially this time of year when they start bringing the youngsters to the feeders. cheers col

Hi

No greenfinches for me but plenty of bluetits/great tits and goldfinches. Keep meaning to ask if there is anything i can do to attract greenfinches?

Have peanuts, sunflower hearts, nyger and fat filled coconut shells.

Ohh, on another note, saw a Barn Owl on way home from work this morning!

Hi Will

I Put The Same As You Out Plus Suet Pellets But They Are Not Really Going For Them Any More Than Anything Else. I Do Put Some Sunflower Hearts On A Mesh Tray And They Like To Come On That.

Hi Col

I AM NEAR BUXTON

WE HAVE HAD LESS GREENFINCHES ON THE WHOLE BUT SOME DAYS THERE ARE A LOT AND OTHER DAYS ONLY ONE OR TWO.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Hi buddy just find it strange i have been feeding the birds for over 10 years now and the lack of Green finches as been a concern this year i have done a bit of reading about the disease trichomonosis and the affects this disease as had on the Greenfinch population (http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/health/sickbirds/greenfinches.aspx) The only other thing his that there is still ample food out there for them this year so there is no need for them to visit garden feeders just yet . Just hope it's the latter cheers col

Have a great holiday michael :t:

cheers Dave, will do.

Had a fair few green and goldfinches in today, just appeared out of the blue. Heard goldcrest in the garden again, speaking of which I had a tit flock flying through some trees which included 6 goldcrest whils taking my daughter to school.

I bet I will miss something good in the garden while i'm away!

Not much excitement in our yards, except a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher the other day - only the second we've seen in our yards in 6 years.

Shouldn't be long before things improve, though, judging by what I'm seeing on the college campus. As fall has started now, winter residents have begun arriving there: So far this week I’ve seen Lincoln’s Sparrows, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Yellow-rumped Warbler and Pine Warblers. An American Kestrel has turned up, too, and I’m hoping he’s going to stay. I've seen three Common Yellowthroats and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, presumably all just migrating through.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Hey Col,

We're only in our first year of bird feeding here so have nothing to compare this year's numbers against unfortunately. However, you may find it as some consolation that the greenfinches that visit our feeders are all looking healthy so far. Fingers crossed.

Edit: Pressed the wrong button.

This morning I had an unbelievable sight when I opened the window blinds - there were four collared doves sitting in our tiny cherry tree, with another two perched on the telephone wires above the opposite hedgerow.

:t:

Last edited:
Three Magpies on my lawn to-day, they are extremly large birds the closer they get to you. I've even seen these birds go into the hen shed and eat the eggs, they peck into the shell and eat the yolk and leave the shell.

good day for me today, popped out this morning and looked down onto the river, to find a heron not 30 feet away, so i spent a good 5 minutes looking almost straight down onto it, and consequently being able to see down into the water where it was fishing also.

then as i approached the door to the flat we had a flyover by a jay and 2 goldfinches.

leighton moss for us tomorrow, hopefully come back with pics of the bearded tits. not that that hope has done us any good on any of the previous visits.

Last edited:
My Husband Was Decorating At Home Yesterday And He Saw The Nuthatches Hidng Seed Or Nuts All Over The Place In The Garden Area Where My Feeders Are Situated. I Have To Wait Until Sunday To See Anything Worthwhile.

My Husband Was Decorating At Home Yesterday And He Saw The Nuthatches Hidng Seed Or Nuts All Over The Place In The Garden Area Where My Feeders Are Situated. I Have To Wait Until Sunday To See Anything Worthwhile.

I have the largest ever sunflower growing in the patio borders, very kindly planted by the Coal tits, also many many other sunflowers peeking out all over the place... now with the Nuthatches doing the same and the Squirrels planting acorns my garden should soon look like Kew Gardens ;)

Had a steady flow of birds so far today - Blue, Coal, Great Tits, Sparrows, Collared Doves, Goldfinch, Robin, Dunnocks, Starlings.

Overhead a flock of around 30 Pigeons have been flying about a while and a few Herring Gulls too. Also had a LTT fly over, nice to know they are in the area but I don't think we have had them in the garden since last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back