• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (6 Viewers)

Garden Species No 54 for 2010:
Siskin female

at last.... first visit since April 1st 2009

A bit miffed as it flew in with the Redpolls (18) and was on the nyger when a Squirrel bounded in and disturbed everything, so will keep an eye out for its return.

Blackcap, Wren, 3 Redwing, Fieldfare, 14 Greenfinch, 11 Goldfinch, 5 male chaffinch here also

Rain over night has thawed some of the snow, but is sleeting now

Last edited:
A heron just landed in my garden! It took off again straight away, so I can't prove it with a pic - but my heart is racing!! It must be really hungry. Is there anything I can put out for herons? I have a small wildlife pond with no fish, but that's still frozen over - maybe it was investigating that.

A heron just landed in my garden! It took off again straight away, so I can't prove it with a pic - but my heart is racing!! It must be really hungry. Is there anything I can put out for herons? I have a small wildlife pond with no fish, but that's still frozen over - maybe it was investigating that.

A tin of tuna? ;)

I have a rather large Redpoll at the moment, very light towards its rear. I guess its a Common Redpoll (mealy), but is this a seperate species to all the Lessers that I get?

I am going to stick my neck out and say that I am 100% certain that have got a Mealy Redpoll in the garden. This is the first time I have seen it since I originally posted about it and it stands out like a sore thumb.

I will try to get an image before I take the family our to the pictures

This is a life bird, a garden life bird and species No 55 for 2010

Seacroft you must be amazed this morning with your Kite, and jpscloud well done with the Grey Heron

5 Redwings, Mistle Thrush and Song Thrush presently in the garden

christmas day i had a fieldfare in the garden and then boxing day a grey heron appeared at the side of the stream a superb sight on both occasions!

christmas day i had a fieldfare in the garden and then boxing day a grey heron appeared at the side of the stream a superb sight on both occasions!

I guess the extended bad weather has produced some unexpected and welcome garden visitors. Nice sightings Roger.

We had a surprising visitor this morning . A Pheasant ! Can't think how he got in as we have a 8 foot hedge and wire mesh fence at the bottom of the garden. I can only think he sneaked in through the tiny hole I made for the cats so they can get out the garden. He's probably trapped now.:-O

Attachments

• pheasant.jpg
    pheasant.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 48
10c here, wet and windy and not a trace of snow. Still have the blackcap, pied wagtail, thrush, all of which came with the snow and seem to like it here. We had a pheasant last year, he used to come flying onto the clematis and then swoop down for a couple of hours every day and then fly off the way he arrived. My garden is small and he looked enormous in it.:t:

Cheers BananaFishBones, I was completely gobsmacked at the heron but suspect I'll not see a Red Kite!!

I've just been out and invested in a bird table (uncovered, for a tenner, which I plan to make a cover for). I've put some shredded suet and peanuts and sunflower hearts on it, and the blue tits are looking at it already!

Great stuff, Dave! I've been scanning the Goldfinch in our yards, hoping to spot a Pine Siskin mixed in with them. But no luck yet, so my yard list seems fated to stay where it is for another year. Stil, I've seen 260 species in Texas this year, which isn't bad.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Were there three of them?

CB

No just the pair. Were back in this morning but the thaw here seems to have thinned out the Bramblings (scratch that, at least 6 just now but probs more). The trees look so boring without any snow or frost on them! :-O

Red Kite would be a dream bird even for a very high fly over here!

Last edited:
I am going to stick my neck out and say that I am 100% certain that have got a Mealy Redpoll in the garden. This is the first time I have seen it since I originally posted about it and it stands out like a sore thumb.

I will try to get an image before I take the family our to the pictures

This is a life bird, a garden life bird and species No 55 for 2010

Good luck in getting the photo Dave, still not had any visit my feeders! I did have one bird the other day, which I thought was a Redpoll, but no bins at the time. Moorhens are still visiting everyday, Coal Tits in and out, and good numbers of all the regular visitors, also had 3 Leseer Black Backed Gulls over, and a WREN! Actually back in my garden, it was mousing around the bottom of my patio door and then in and out of the fence slats. Hopefully there are a few more around, having not had any for a while now.

Great start to the day with a first ever song thrush in the garden, then there were two nuthatches in the same fat mix tray at the same time, later in the afternoon we had a blackbird on the fat mix feeder - we've had blackbirds below the feeders before, but this is the first time actually on a feeder.

I only managed a hurried snap of the nuthatches, you'll have to imagine the blackbird.

two nuthatch.jpg

Then I tried putting apples in the hedgerow opposite the house - instant success with blue tits investigating within a minute. Blue tits feeding on apple (YouTube)

Well i was woken at 4am by the sound of running water. It was the cistern in my bathroom filling up and music to my ears after four days of a frozen main. Goldfinches,Blackbirds,Starlings,Blue and Great Tits plus a Robin on my feeders this morning and a Mistle Thrush feeding on the berries in the tree in my mothers front garden this afternoon. I feel so much better not worrying about burst pipes etc so I can now enjoy my garden birds and of course all of yours.:t::t: The last couple of days can be viewed here. http://rambleswithacamera.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Well Bongo I thought I had it good with 21 Redpoll....30+ birds is simply brilliant. Good news with the running water Andrew, the thaw came in the nick of time. Some other good stuff coming through this thread at the moment with Pheasants, Nuthatches and all the Thrushes. TBH we all seem to be getting new birds coming in.... great reading as always.

I am particularly pleased with the Siskin this morning, but she didnt return after being disturbed by the squirrel. Regarding the Mealy I will endevour to get the image if it shows again this week.

New years day starts a new year list, I will post the complete garden list on day one!

Just a note: forum administrator and damn good photographer IanF has 27 Bramblings in his North East garden.... incredible!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back