• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

oh cruel cruel fate:-C

The first time that I decide to carry my heavy 720mm camera with me the blasted batteries go flat just as I am about to snap a pair of exquisitly beautiful Stonechats about 10 feet away from me :C

I admit I.ve never seen a stonechat before and couldn't identify it positively on the spot so all the way home,( between loud curses ,;) I recited black cap,white cheek,white rump, salmon pink chest,grey back, black tips to tail, small short black robin like beak over and over :-O

I think I'll take a quick drive back to see if they are still there :t:

oh cruel cruel fate:-C

The first time that I decide to carry my heavy 720mm camera with me the blasted batteries go flat just as I am about to snap a pair of exquisitly beautiful Stonechats about 10 feet away from me :C

I admit I.ve never seen a stonechat before and couldn't identify it positively on the spot so all the way home,( between loud curses ,;) I recited black cap,white cheek,white rump, salmon pink chest,grey back, black tips to tail, small short black robin like beak over and over :-O

I think I'll take a quick drive back to see if they are still there :t:

lol..... well remembered Eb :smoke:

Smart bird so get back

Heres a couple I did earlier :t:

Attachments

• IMG_7085-1.JPG
    IMG_7085-1.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4898.jpg
    IMG_4898.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 52
Where are my birds?

It's quite a while since I posted to this site although I have been reading posts.
I have a problem - nearly all my garden birds have disappeared! Last winter I had a whole variety of birds and lots of them. This year there are hardly any at all. Today I have seen three Goldfinches, a Dunnock, a Robin and two Collared Doves. No finches at all and no Blue Tits or Great Tits. I have a whole variety of feeders out (same as last year) but to no avail.
I feel that the greenfinches may have succumed to the virus that seems to be affecting them nationally (though I clean and sterilise my feeders), but where the chaffinches and various tits have gone I do not know. Of course, it may simply be that there is still lots of natural food about, but others on this site seem to be getting plenty of visitors. A friend in the next village has the same problem.
Perhaps living in the countryside means that the birds take longer to come to gardens, but I have not had this problem before.
I have just bought a second expensive flash gun for my outside studio and have nothing to photograph!
I'll let you know if it changes over the next few weeks.

wow I love those captures bfb. Your images have really come on this past year. They look really professional. Great composition ...oh and the stonechats look gorgeous too don't they!

Sadly though I stood in a muddy country lane in the rain for an hour I didn't see the stonechats again but I did see a large group of 6+ Bullfinches .I really must get organised with straps for my bins and camera. i had to thrust the bins between my legs for shooting and every few minutes jump up and balance precariously on the grass bank before I got run down by tractors, milk tankers and 4x4's :eek!:
bullfinch1.jpg

bullfinch2.jpg

It's quite a while since I posted to this site although I have been reading posts.
I have a problem - nearly all my garden birds have disappeared! Last winter I had a whole variety of birds and lots of them. This year there are hardly any at all. Today I have seen three Goldfinches, a Dunnock, a Robin and two Collared Doves. No finches at all and no Blue Tits or Great Tits. I have a whole variety of feeders out (same as last year) but to no avail.
I feel that the greenfinches may have succumed to the virus that seems to be affecting them nationally (though I clean and sterilise my feeders), but where the chaffinches and various tits have gone I do not know. Of course, it may simply be that there is still lots of natural food about, but others on this site seem to be getting plenty of visitors. A friend in the next village has the same problem.
Perhaps living in the countryside means that the birds take longer to come to gardens, but I have not had this problem before.
I have just bought a second expensive flash gun for my outside studio and have nothing to photograph!
I'll let you know if it changes over the next few weeks.

pretty sure it is the weather,last year we had a harsh winter especially at this period of time,there is still lots of natural food about but as the weather turns colder and the natural food disappears i am sure your birds will return.

I have a problem - nearly all my garden birds have disappeared! Last winter I had a whole variety of birds and lots of them. This year there are hardly any at all.

pretty sure it is the weather,last year we had a harsh winter especially at this period of time,there is still lots of natural food about but as the weather turns colder and the natural food disappears i am sure your birds will return.

I agree with Roger. The recent mild weather is certainly to blame for the lack of garden birds.

CB

wow I love those captures bfb. Your images have really come on this past year. They look really professional. Great composition ...oh and the stonechats look gorgeous too don't they!

Sadly though I stood in a muddy country lane in the rain for an hour I didn't see the stonechats again but I did see a large group of 6+ Bullfinches .I really must get organised with straps for my bins and camera. i had to thrust the bins between my legs for shooting and every few minutes jump up and balance precariously on the grass bank before I got run down by tractors, milk tankers and 4x4's :eek!:
bullfinch1.jpg

bullfinch2.jpg

Cheers eb
Well done with the party of Bullfinch, it certainly made the second visit more than worthwhile

Some great pics on recently and good reports for some people. Sadly I have nothing to declare. Feeders are getting topped up but I am seeing nothing of the birds. I also live in a very rural area so birds are a bit scarcer than usual at the minute.

Welcome Old Fogey.

yes its the same here spinneygal.

We are still getting a mini flock of sparrows and the occasional C dove , woodpigeon and chaffinch.
The usual GT, CT, BT and chaffinch are there throughout the day but a rare treat yesterday 6x long-tailed tits at once ! not seen them for a few weeks.
sadly i think that our sparrowhawk took the last of our goldfinches last week.:-C

Its so balmy here in the SW that we are still getting butterflies, horseflies,loads of midges etc so I suspect there are plenty of insects about at the moment.
To think that this time last year we were snow-bound here !:eek!:

Thats bad news about the turtledoves Bongo...Can't say that I have ever seen one down this way.

Last edited:
Our feeders are remarkably quiet, particularly given that we're in a drought and that cold weather has arrived. We're getting only N Mockingbirds, Carolina Chickadees, Northern Cardinals, Downy Woodpeckers, Red-bellied Woodpecker, White-winged Doves, Orange-crowned Warblers, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Carolina Wren and House Sparrows.

Have seen Cedar Waxwings at work, though, and my wife saw some at home. Luckily, too, the area near where I work is producing incredible numbers of birds, many of which normally do not reach our area. So what I miss at home I see at/around work

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Plenty of activity this morning with 3 robins, 4 chaffinches, 25 goldfinches,18 house sparrows,7greenfinches,7collared doves, winter is here folks !!

A few good species this morning:
male GS Woodpecker
2 Lesser Redpoll
2 Common Gull
Sparrowhawk overflying fairly high up but close enough to send everything scattering

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back