• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

A Brown Creeper came into our yard this morning and was creeping down our huge Sycamore Tree. It did not come to the bird feeders, but it was 2014 bird # 28 for our yard.

For years the wold turkeys have been visiting under our neighbors feeders. Today for the first time ever some discovered our feeder in the bushes. There were 4 in total.

Attachments

• 2014 03 18 17 33 32.jpg
    2014 03 18 17 33 32.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 59
Thanks a nice shot of the Robin there Jeff.

Mild weather and plenty of bird activity coaxed me outside today. The Nuthatches were living up to their name, gathering seeds and burying them as fast as they could before the GT's and Pheasants ate them all:

View attachment 487915
Thanks, Mark.
Yours of the Nuthatch is absolutely brilliant.
I'm using a Canon SX50 these days. Great except that the viewfinder is abysmal and, like all bridge cameras, there is shutter lag. So it is difficult to photograph any bird in flight that is smaller than a ... Pelican.

Thanks, Mark.
Yours of the Nuthatch is absolutely brilliant.
I'm using a Canon SX50 these days. Great except that the viewfinder is abysmal and, like all bridge cameras, there is shutter lag. So it is difficult to photograph any bird in flight that is smaller than a ... Pelican.

Thanks Jeff. The SX50 is a good camera but if if you want birds in flight then a DSLR is the best option (IMO anyway). Saying that, I've seen some outstanding shots of perched birds taken with compact and bridge cameras. I know what you mean about the shutter lag, it's hard enough getting results without that, I don't have the reactions I had when I was younger!

c8 Siskins today were very vocal, plus a Lesser Redpoll and a pair of GSWs.

A good variety there Bongo, Siskins are a bird I might expect to see regularly, I've only ever seen the occasional one passing through. Never seen a Redpoll in my garden |=(|

The courtship season seems well underway here now. Whereas previously our resident male Pheasant would come and go on his own, he regularly turns up with his harem of up to 6 females now. Those birds can certainly eat! Here's a shot I took of the male jumping over the wall a couple of days ago:

13349509585_a09a20f846_c.jpg

Yesterday, I was busy reading Donna Tartt's novel The Goldfinch, when I looked up to view the garden, and here's what was on my feeder:

Attachments

• IMG_0492b.jpg
    IMG_0492b.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 51
Back home now.

Raining hard this morning, but didn't expect to see a Mallard sat on the neighbours roof, first time I have seen a duck perched on a roof |:S|

2 LTTs, Coal Tits, Great Tits and Blue Tits all very busy and a few Rooks.

I observed eighteen (18) bird species yesterday at our yard feeders.
Best bird was a Purple Finch. This species only very rarely comes to our yard!

* Yard bird # 29 for this year.
* This was also a year bird (# 91) on my Missouri List.

Thanks Jeff. The SX50 is a good camera but if if you want birds in flight then a DSLR is the best option (IMO anyway). Saying that, I've seen some outstanding shots of perched birds taken with compact and bridge cameras. I know what you mean about the shutter lag, it's hard enough getting results without that, I don't have the reactions I had when I was younger!
View attachment 488763

That's certainly true. I use the SX50 for most stuff, mainly because I don't want to lug around a scope. I normally use Sony 220 with 75-300mm as well, for in-flight shots, but I can't always be bothered to carry two cameras as well as binocs.

Not much new in our yards, except a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird has moved in. Other every-day birds now are:
Downy Woodpeckers
Carolina Wrens (photo)
Carolina Chickadees
American Robins
Tufted Titmice
Blue Jays
Northern Mockingbirds
Northern Cardinals
Chipping Sparrows
Yellow-rumped Warblers
Orange-crowned Warblers
House Sparrows