• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (20 Viewers)

No a 2nd, think the last one may have been 8-10 years ago, I seem to recall seeing my 1st RNP at my old abode, some 45 years ago….and they’ve spread a bit since then.🤣

No a 2nd, think the last one may have been 8-10 years ago, I seem to recall seeing my 1st RNP at my old abode, some 45 years ago….and they’ve spread a bit since then.🤣
Ah, in my ignorance of things UK (after all it’s approaching 20 years since I left the Sceptred Isle :unsure: )
I assumed Alex Parakeet was a tickable Cat C like RrParakeet but it’s still E, wonder how long before they become self sustaining in UK (as in Belgium for example).
Big increase in Siskin at the feeders here after snowfall yesterday, about 30 with a similar number of Goldfinch.

Ah, in my ignorance of things UK (after all it’s approaching 20 years since I left the Sceptred Isle :unsure: )
I assumed Alex Parakeet was a tickable Cat C like RrParakeet but it’s still E, wonder how long before they become self sustaining in UK (as in Belgium for example).
Big increase in Siskin at the feeders here after snowfall yesterday, about 30 with a similar number of Goldfinch.

Snowfall is wished for here, but methinks we’re gonna be disappointed.😩 Hadn’t realised just how big AP is with a “conk” that makes Hawfinch look like an insectiverous feeder.🤣
Anyway, can’t grumble with no ticks of late, having finally caught up with our local Waxwings after 6 dips…just a bit special.

Attachments

• DSC04905.jpeg    Wxwng.16..jpeg
    DSC04905.jpeg Wxwng.16..jpeg
    564.4 KB · Views: 9
For once the nyger seed is being eaten rapidly. The change of location of the feeder seems to have worked wonders.

5 Siskins on it today along with 4 Goldfinch. Earlier in the week we had a Stock Dove, GSW and the Nuthatches are visiting very regularly.

Last edited:
For once the nyger seed is being big eaten rapidly. The change of location of the feeder seems to have worked wonders.

5 Siskins on it today along with 4 Goldfinch. Earlier in the week we had a Stock Dove, GSW and the Nuthatches are visiting very regularly.
I've noticed a pattern regarding local Siskins......they just don't appear in my garden on the various feeders during the main winter months. But they do drop in ( as in the last week or so ) to feed , and exhibit courting behaviour including singing before departing to breed. This must be quite near, though I've not found out exactly where, despite casually scanning stands of suitable habitat and chatting to other birdwatchers in our village
And then they turn up in my and neighbour gardens with newly fledged young, usually in June, the rascals.
Aren't birds just frustratingly wonderful.

Lots of activity this morning, currently looking at 2 Bramblings and a Siskin, with plenty of the usual suspects too 👍

Male Sparrowhawk visited yesterday too.

For some reason I can’t upload videos anymore 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I had a gathering of Cedar Waxwings at my makeshift water feature this weekend! (I’m In Oklahoma City) Looks like they are plotting something nefarious. And now they are back! Currently watching about 15 or 20 take turns getting a drink. Such striking birds!

Attachments

• 356878F9-079E-4383-B30F-70B217980196.jpeg
    356878F9-079E-4383-B30F-70B217980196.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • E3D4B62E-CEC1-4B1B-AF19-937189206329.jpeg
    E3D4B62E-CEC1-4B1B-AF19-937189206329.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
It really has been a busy day at the feeders today and it's a right miserable dreich one too! The Starlings have dropped by in tens, usually just a few. A Blackbird landed, another shot by, followed very swiftly by a Sparrowhawk?? Nope, a very angry Mistle Thrush. There's been four / five Siskin, a dozen or so Goldfinches, both House & Tree Sparrows, raising young yet? They seem very busy at the feeders! A Dunnock dropped by earlier, haven't seen one for a while. A solo Greenfinch male to the best of my knowledge, both male & female GSW and a plethora of Chaffinches. I've taken a multitude of photos, which is nice, especially since it's P'ing doon!
PS. and a Coal Tit!

20240325- Siskin pair on the feeder.jpg 20240325 - Tree Sparrow dangling and watching.jpg

20240325 - Starling on a stick.jpg 20240325 - Papa pecker at the nuts.jpg
20240325 - Oi.jpg 20240325 - Greenfinch male on a feeder.jpg
20240325 - Great Tit in the rain.jpg 20240325 - Goldfinch stare.jpg
20240325 - Dunnock.jpg 20240325 - Busy Blue Tit.jpg20240325 - Chaffinch male in the rain.jpg 20240325 - Chaffinch female in the rain.jpg
20240325 - House & Tree Sparrow at the feeders.jpg
20240325 - Mama pecker with lunch plans.jpg

Attachments

• 20240325 - Dunnock and friends.jpg
    20240325 - Dunnock and friends.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back