• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

well firstly they go to places in groups, in order to share body heat,
this is when we get records of 60 wrens in one nest box.

small birds will find a nice hole and all cram in together, starlings take over whole structures,
larger birds fit in where they can that has a bit of shelter, though again usually in communal roosts.

Just recovering from man flu, yuck.

Yesterday a gang of eight to ten long tailed tits turned up - first LTTs in maybe two months. Going to put out a tray of dripping/chopped peanut based food and sit at the window by the heater - hoping to see the LTTs again.

House sparrows have been hilarious recently - I'm starting to think they play games!

Last edited:
Snow brings Parakeets back

Big snow here again in West Kent. Was hoping for an influx of redpolls and siskins but no go on that front:-C

Goldfinches swarming about the feeders like oversized wasps - surely a deterrent to the more exotic smaller finches.

3 Bramblings still consorting with the commoner finches.

Pied wagtail has returned with the snow.

I was going to report that the parakeets have not been seen here for nearly a week when 2 came down just now. Hopefully a cute picture on here later.

Incidentally the cheap sunflower hearts I posted on earlier (£34 for 22.36 Kg, inc p&p, from www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk - use phone as their online ordering system didn't work too well for me) are going down a treat to all and sundry.

So far this morning…

3 Mourning Doves (Haven’t seen more than one in weeks)
20+ house sparrows
2 male cardinals and 2 female cardinals
3 Blue Jays
1 Slate-Colored Junco

Yesterday I had 1 new winter bird a White-throated Sparrow, which was mixed in with a group of house sparrows. I also saw him/her today, but it did not come to the feeder.

I’m slowly seeing winter species and numbers rises, so that’s a good thing!

I also had around 15 birds of some sort in my tree tops, but they did not come down to eat. I’m expecting their either starlings or grackles!
Happy birding and later tonight I’m hoping to post some pictures!

*(Edit) Forgot to mention that I had a little Carolina Wren hoping around my patio yesterday! I was totally surprised to see it.

Last edited:
Pictures from today: First one taken during a blizzard. Second one: I'd resurrected my Droll Yankee so-called robin feeder on the washing line as back-up for the Winter for the smaller birds, when who should turn up and use it in preference to any other feeder?

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 65
  • parakeets.jpg
    parakeets.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
So far this morning…

3 Mourning Doves (Haven’t seen more than one in weeks)
20+ house sparrows
2 male cardinals and 2 female cardinals
3 Blue Jays
1 Slate-Colored Junco

Yesterday I had 1 new winter bird a White-throated Sparrow, which was mixed in with a group of house sparrows. I also saw him/her today, but it did not come to the feeder.

I’m slowly seeing winter species and numbers rises, so that’s a good thing!

I also had around 15 birds of some sort in my tree tops, but they did not come down to eat. I’m expecting their either starlings or grackles!
Happy birding and later tonight I’m hoping to post some pictures!

I just saw a WT Sparrow too yesterday & today! Always fun to see a new little cutie show up! :t:

I also saw for the first time EVER(that I realized) a Pine Siskin among the Goldfinches! :bounce: So happy since it is a new lifer for me!! When I saw it at first it looked so much like a Goldfinch from the back & same tiny size, that I thought it was some sort of a mixture of GF & House Finch due to the striped front. Looked it up & was completely thrilled to see what it really was! o:)

well firstly they go to places in groups, in order to share body heat,
this is when we get records of 60 wrens in one nest box.

:eek!: thats some number, wouldnt like to be in the crush to get out.

Big snow here again in West Kent. Was hoping for an influx of redpolls and siskins but no go on that front:-C

I was going to report that the parakeets have not been seen here for nearly a week when 2 came down just now.

Maybe traveling down to Northamptonshire Sunday depending how quickly north the snow moves over the next few days, I hope I get a clear window of opportunity to drive down to see the family

Yesterday I had 1 new winter bird a White-throated Sparrow, which was mixed in with a group of house sparrows.

Well done, it puts a smile on your face when you get new visitors, its the simple things in life that make the day seem brighter

I just saw a WT Sparrow too yesterday & today! Always fun to see a new little cutie show up! :t:

I also saw for the first time EVER(that I realized) a Pine Siskin among the Goldfinches! :bounce: So happy since it is a new lifer for me!! When I saw it at first it looked so much like a Goldfinch from the back & same tiny size, that I thought it was some sort of a mixture of GF & House Finch due to the striped front. Looked it up & was completely thrilled to see what it really was! o:)

Brilliant...... a cracking feeling, I hope it sticks around. :t:

Just got home to see the sillouette of the Grey Heron flying low over the house and Garden, I think I disturbed it as I pulled into the close, it must have been in next doors garden again.

I really want to get a decent picture of the Blackcap in daylight, but for now I will have to make do with the poor dusky image that I will down load later. Its a cracking bird, first time I have been able to really watch one out in the open for prolonged periods.

The Redpolls this morning were just superb. No squabbling, all were on the 2 feeders at one point feeding happily (while the Goldfinch sat looking on wondering when its going to be their turn), only when disturbed by a marauding Magpie did they all sit in the tree Preening.....

I think they rank along side the Siskin as the ultimate garden beauties... only my opinion of course. Now when is a Siskin going to show up.... :smoke:

A few images of the unusual species that have visited over the last week or so :t: rubbish quality but I am always concious this time of year not to disturb feeding birds, so all taken from the warmth of the house at long distances.

Attachments

• IMG_2460.JPG
    IMG_2460.JPG
    379.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2437.jpg
    IMG_2437.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 53
A few images of the unusual species that have visited over the last week or so :t: rubbish quality but I am always concious this time of year not to disturb feeding birds, so all taken from the warmth of the house at long distances.

Great bird pics to share Dave..esp for me during the week.:t::t:

Last edited:
Pine Siskins

The Redpolls this morning were just superb. No squabbling, all were on the 2 feeders at one point feeding happily (while the Goldfinch sat looking on wondering when its going to be their turn), only when disturbed by a marauding Magpie did they all sit in the tree Preening.....

I think they rank along side the Siskin as the ultimate garden beauties... only my opinion of course. Now when is a Siskin going to show up.... :smoke:

Agreed garden beauties, although my favourites are the bramblings.

Re earlier discussion on pine siskins by US friends, I remember seeing these in a friend's garden in Concorde, Ca. As I remember it, they are larger, but less colourful than our Eurasian species. About goldfinch (US or Eurasian) size. I must admit to be more thrilled with the western bluebirds floating about like starlings.

Minus 13, heavy snow.

Topped up all my feeders, White-backed Woodpecker with the Great and Middle Spots at the forest feeders, Black Woodpecker just beyond. Two Yellowhammers joining the TreeSparrows in Vilnius garden.

But ....many years in the waiting, finally it happened...

One Willow Tit started feeding from the hand, nipping down to take a peanut, then off. After few minutes, it was like he had been doing it all his life - back and fro, perching on my thumb to peck the peanuts. Then onto my shoulder, even pecking my cheek on one occasion! :t:

Super.

And now it is farewell to them for a while - several 25 kg feeder in place, off I go for winter hols.

I noticed two large birds fly past my pine trees in the back of the yard this morning! I sprang to the basement sliding door and was looking to see where they landed. No luck, I missed them. I was scanning the backyard trees when I noticed an odd looking fat branch and it was moving ... I could not make out if it was a large owl or a hawk, but thankfully it moved!! I pushed my little 250mm to the max and got a couple shots of it. It's always a little worrisome when you have a BOP in your backyard, but it's the circle of life! Luckily I had some great backyard police!! 4-5 blue jays and a bossy male cardinal circling around it and squawking.

Pic 1 (Notice missile like blur off to the left of the hawks head) That would be one of the Blue Jays messing with it. (Sorry forgot camera was set on BW)

Edit: I believe this to be a Cooper's Hawk

Attachments

• Misc-011-web.jpg
    Misc-011-web.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Misc-015-Web.jpg
    Misc-015-Web.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Congrats on the new lifer! I had a small group of gold finches and a couple house finches showing up for a while. Then when fall came around they left. I'm hoping to have some revisit this winter! I'm from Illinois, so it's awesome to hear that you had that type of bird at your feeder! Gives me hope!!
Congrats!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back