• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (1 Viewer)

Spring is in the air......

Blue tits carrying food off to the nest
Remains of a newly hatched Blackbird shell in the garden
Housesparrows mating again

It's been an awesome two days of bird watching in the garden here. The birds have all suddenly gotten alot more busier, it's funny how they all seem to return the same time as each other, different species.

The flock of Starlings is increasing, all going for the homemade lard fatballs, taking some and flying off, the same with the Blue and Coal Tits.

But amazingly, a female Great Spotted Woodpecker started feeding off of it yesterday! Third time a Woodpecker has ever been in the garden and I have been waiting soooo long for one to come and grab the fat. I was soooo thrilled!:t: I was worried the noisy Starlings would put them off, but this female actually scared the Starlings away. She opened her wings in an act of aggression to the Starlings when they tried swoping her off the fat, and it worked, they left her to it lol. She was also collecting as much fat as she could and flew off with it.

She also returned on the other fat feeder this evening, and boy did she cram as much fat as she could in her beak. I'm over the moon! lol :eat:8-P

Also the feeders showing more activity from Goldfinches (6 yesterday, most amount in a while), Greenfinches and Chaffinches. Blackbirds still finding nesting matirial, no signs of Dunnocks or Great Tits for about 2 weeks so expecting them to come back anytime soon.

Jays still frequently visiting for Monkey Nuts, no Magpies around which is odd, and the male Robin continues to sing at any chance he gets!

Wondering what tomorrow will bring! :king:

just a few pics from past week taken through patio window

Attachments

• 122.jpg
    122.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 128.jpg
    128.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 127.jpg
    127.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 33
  • 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 133.jpg
    133.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 29
Great news about the woodpecker Dan, still waiting for one here, would really like to have a visitor :t:

Put up a water feeder in the last 15 minutes, see if it attracts any takers.

Got to say though, my garden has been really really quiet the last couple of weeks. Apart from starlings and some pigeons (wood and feral) there's hardly any activity, apart from the pair of robins and pair of dunnocks.

Starting to wonder if they've all found a better food source elsewhere :-C

Hopefully fledglings will start a recovery to the numbers B :)

just a few more pics from last week

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 28
2 house sparrow fledglings this morning, one of whom is still grasping the concept of feeding. Constantly trying to fly onto the same feeder as the parent to be fed there, instead of waiting for the feed to come to him like his sibling :king:

Watching a young sparrow's first(?) encounter with water yesterday was funny/cute. A very cautious approach involved hopping around the bird bath a couple of times (on the garden table), up onto the edge, dip head in/out and be frightened by the splash, fly a few feet away and come back in to land on the table. Repeat.

Some house sparrow pics from today.

2011-05-15 sparrow group.jpg
Family?

2011-05-15 sparrow juveniles 1.jpg
Juveniles seem to find the trays under the feeders a big help at first.

2011-05-15 sparrow scruff.jpg
Scruff on the right.

Everything in the garden wants sunflower hearts.
I am looking at a female siskin dropping them and a male blackbird standing underneath hoovering.
A greenfinch sat on the nygers for 15 minutes yesterday, great!
Sparrows are on everything including hearts and clinging on to the peanuts imitating bluetits.
A pair of great tits carry chunks from the suet block for their family which I haven't seen yet.
2 male siskins feed ion the nygers and fight with the goldfinches.
Everybody is drinking and the doves go swimming.
The chaffinches are reallly noisy.
There is so much activity but not 1 baby yet. I hope we see some soon.:t:

Woodpigeons, collared doves, starlings, one or two great and blue tits, a nuthatch and at least twelvety house sparrows so far this morning.

Bto-gbw

Its great to read about all those UK garden sightings.
Please remember the BTO Garden Birdwatch Scheme which surveys garden bird activity.
Anyone can join it has a seperate membership from the normal BTO membership.
If you are not already a member please consider
Details are on the BTO website BTo_Org
Thanks for reading

Some cute pics posted, I really must post some.

I have found a huge increase in the Sparrow numbers these last couple of weeks. I think we have a breeding pair of GSW they take it in turns to visit the feeders, going mad for suet pellets. The Nuthatches are also visiting more.

When the cat goes out there is a Robin and at least one Blackbird going mad with alarm calls so maybe they are nesting as well, fingers crossed.

I am really pleased with my Redpolls they are there most of the day and such lovely colours.

Lots of Chaffinches, not as many Greenfinches and Goldfinches though. Nearly forgot the tit family. 2 LTT's coming several Blue tits, Great Tits and Coal Tits, not seen any youngsters yet.

Loads of sparrows here too since I got home, probably about a dozen or so in total.

Goldfinches have made an appearance, and a single coal tit has been visiting constantly since I got in about an hour ago, which is brilliant, they always make me smile.

Has anyone had a Blue Tit nestbox with eggs that just don't want to hatch? There are at least 8 eggs now and incubation started on Friday 29th April, making today day 18, with no chicks yet. I'm starting to fear the worst:-C

Lots of birds ferrying food back and forth, makes great early morning viewing! I decided to put up a nyjer feeder a few weeks ago (to go with my 2 sunflower heart feeders), 2 goldfinch on it now. I'm also getting a pair of Jackdaws in, which is new for me and highly entertaining. The agility of this bird is fantastic especially when it feeds from the fatball feeder, they also help keep the growing army of wood pigeons and juvenile woodies at bay!

Attachments

• starlings034.jpg
    starlings034.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 42

Users who are viewing this thread

Back