• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (11 Viewers)

Thought I would ask my son to help me upload. I didn't know anything about resizing. I hope these work ok.:t:

Attachments

• P1070505.JPG
    P1070505.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 59
  • P1070529.JPG
    P1070529.JPG
    322.3 KB · Views: 54
  • P1070566-1.JPG
    P1070566-1.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 53
Well done everyone!!! 8000 replies and still going strong!!! B :)B :)

Today had the usual 3 Pheasants, a Jay but most unexpected was a singing male Reed Bunting - the first since spring.

CB

Thought I would ask my son to help me upload. I didn't know anything about resizing. I hope these work ok.:t:

Fantastic photos!

Well done everyone!!! 8000 replies and still going strong!!! B :)B :)

Today had the usual 3 Pheasants, a Jay but most unexpected was a singing male Reed Bunting - the first since spring.

CB

Hadn't noticed the 8,000 had been clocked up. Is this the longest thread on BF?

Well done with the Jay and Reed Bunting. Very nice garden birds.:t:

Juv GSW feeding from feeders by itself today.

I had to rescue a female Greenfinch from a window strike. Initially it looked as though it had a broken wing and leg, but after 20 minutes or so recuperating under the linen basket, I lifted the basket up and it flew off none-the-worse. It always worries me how many birds do this whilst I'm at work and then fall foul to the local cat population.

We had a newly fledged House Sparrow strike a window yday. Actually saw it happen as I was looking out the window at the time, there was a family group flying round the corner of the house and the last one saw reflected sky in the window and assumed it's flight path following the others was fine. Hit it at full speed and so didn't survive.

We get quite a lot here really, mostly Woodpigeons and Doves but they're more robust and don't end up dead.

Juvie Woodpeckers were fighting again yday too. If they're from the same family as I suspect they are then water and peanuts are a lot thicker than blood!

EDIT Thought I'd share this one with his tongue out.

Attachments

• WoodyBF01.jpg
    WoodyBF01.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Superb stuff from everyone.... Linnets! this thread has gone mad ;)

First of the juvenile Jackdaws just crash landed on the feeders.... this is going to be fun along with the 4 juvenile Magpies.

Best of all the juvenile Coal Tits are stashing seeds now :smoke:

I think that the Robins, Dunnock, Great Tits and Blue tits have all had second broods there are new juveniles everywhere :t:

6 Swifts, 2 Swallow (a good record for me as I only get the odd one) and 2 Greater Black Backed Gulls overhead

New garden record of Housesparrows.... 33.

Last edited:
Can't match Dave's 33 House Sparrows but we had at least 5 yesterday. We've never ever had more than two before.

Lots of our normal birds, too. Always 20+ White-winged Doves and yesterday a very welcome Mourning Dove. Always a dozen or more House Finches and a steady trickle of Carolina Chickadees at the feeders. Blue Jays visit constantly a group of 3-4 American Robins regularly checks the flowerbeds and lawn for worms. Only a single male Carolina Wren has been visiting recently but we have two Northern Cardinal families as well as a Northern Mockingbird family.

A young Downy Woodpecker drops in often, as does a young Red-bellied Woodpecker.

The squirrels have been crazily busy under, on and even in the birdfeeders.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

unfortunatly just found a dead juvenile Great Tit in the front garden, It doesnt look predated so must have hit a window even though it is a good few meters away.

I agree with you BFB there are lots of 2nd broods being fed. We have at least 30 sparrows. We have a new addition, a GSW but it only comes early in the morning and flies away before I get a good look at it.
We also have a beautiful wood pigeon that is very good at hoovering.:t:

My son and my husband took some more photos over the last few weeks and now I can do it I am putting a couple on. The tailess sparrow has been with us for ages. I thought his tail would have regrown.:t:

Attachments

• P1070461.JPG
    P1070461.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 40
  • P1070209.JPG
    P1070209.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 43
  • P1070218.JPG
    P1070218.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 38
  • P1070222.JPG
    P1070222.JPG
    319.5 KB · Views: 47
I agree with you BFB there are lots of 2nd broods being fed. We have at least 30 sparrows. We have a new addition, a GSW but it only comes early in the morning and flies away before I get a good look at it.
We also have a beautiful wood pigeon that is very good at hoovering.:t:

My son and my husband took some more photos over the last few weeks and now I can do it I am putting a couple on. The tailess sparrow has been with us for ages. I thought his tail would have regrown.:t:

lovely pictures :t: who's been a busybee then ;)

Beautiful pics everyone! I have yet to take a decent pic of anything that isn't a flower. Lots of goldfinches, a growing number of collared doves, the sparrow colony, the woodpigeons and spotted the bullfinch again on saturday... he takes my breath away with his colour! Less of the blackbirds now, no tits that I've seen but the swift numbers are up to maybe a dozen now.

Beautiful pics everyone! I have yet to take a decent pic of anything that isn't a flower. Lots of goldfinches, a growing number of collared doves, the sparrow colony, the woodpigeons and spotted the bullfinch again on saturday... he takes my breath away with his colour! Less of the blackbirds now, no tits that I've seen but the swift numbers are up to maybe a dozen now.

hi jps, intresting with your Swift numbers.... I am getting more here too, there seems to be some interaction aswell, Is it a bit early for fledglings? or am I seeing some late courtship? whichever... super birds to watch

Did have a Sparrowhawk in the garden earlier on but it was off when it saw me look out of the window.

Busybee very well done with the pics, its nice to able to show off your birds isnt it :t:

PS

Talking of showing off ones pics please allow me....lol

I took these on a fairly local patch a few weekends ago, I hope you like

(very sorry its non garden related but I couldnt resist) :king:

Attachments

• AWESOME-1.jpg
    AWESOME-1.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 172847.jpg
    172847.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 50
Less of the blackbirds now, no tits that I've seen but the swift numbers are up to maybe a dozen now.

hi jps, intresting with your Swift numbers.... I am getting more here too, there seems to be some interaction aswell, Is it a bit early for fledglings? or am I seeing some late courtship? whichever... super birds to watch

Numbers have increased at my local colony also. Several pairs have fledged young in the last few days.

CB

Hadn't noticed the 8,000 had been clocked up. Is this the longest thread on BF?

Had a quick search and due to the way I searched i'm not certain but looks like its a top ten thread.

I think the largest thread is Word Association with over 88,000 replies followed by Yorkshire Birding with over 15,000 replies.

CB

Thanks for all your comments folks. These little grden birds do mean a lot and provide a great source of entertainment for me. I do miss taking my own photos though. BFB, yours are spectacular.:t:

It is difficult for me to type now so I tend to just read and enjoy all your posts. I am using the on-screen keyboard as I can still use the mouse.

We had 6 doves down last night and a juvenile starling this morning. We have about 20 chaffinches, 8 siskins Glesgabird,I think we must have yours, and 6 to 8 goldfinches. They have all bought the families, as have all the other regulars.:t:

Thanks for all your comments folks. These little grden birds do mean a lot and provide a great source of entertainment for me. I do miss taking my own photos though. BFB, yours are spectacular.:t:

It is difficult for me to type now so I tend to just read and enjoy all your posts. I am using the on-screen keyboard as I can still use the mouse.

We had 6 doves down last night and a juvenile starling this morning. We have about 20 chaffinches, 8 siskins Glesgabird,I think we must have yours, and 6 to 8 goldfinches. They have all bought the families, as have all the other regulars.:t:

i am really pleased for you busybee, that garden birds provide a great source of entertainment and will, continue to do so for many years to come,i am sorry to hear you cannot take photos,please keep uploading the photos that your husband and son take, as they are fantastic to look at and hope you keep contributing as you have been to this superb thread.:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back