• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Hi everyone, have been checking in every now and then, but never had any time to post. I have just had a cracking record for my garden, 2 Common Tern were rained down and calling away right over my roof!

The feeders have been madhouses today. I've got a flock of House Sparrows, and families of Northern Cardinals, Mourning Doves, European Starlings, and House Finches, and a Hairy/Downy Woodpecker (I can never tell which), Blue Jay, Red-Bellied Woodpecker, and two Carolina Chickadees. And it's only 2 pm!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob.72

Tall guy with glasses dressed in black?

good luck with it CB.

Yep. I had just been to work!

CB

didn't realise you was the johnny cash of birding CB :-O or as the bob dylan song goes "the man in the long black coat" :-O

Wasn't wearing a black coat and thankfully i look nothing like Johnny Cash either :-O

CB

The feeders have been madhouses today. I've got a flock of House Sparrows, and families of Northern Cardinals, Mourning Doves, European Starlings, and House Finches, and a Hairy/Downy Woodpecker (I can never tell which), Blue Jay, Red-Bellied Woodpecker, and two Carolina Chickadees. And it's only 2 pm!

welcome aboard:t:
for your hairy or Downy woodpecker can you add a pic and I am sure the US contributor to this thread will point you in the right direction

Thanks, Bongofury. I will watch for the changes. This is my latest baby, courtesy of hubby.:t:

Attachments

• P1070669.JPG
    P1070669.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 41

Nice selection, altho I could do without the House Sparrows and European Starlings!

Our yards have many of the same birds at present, plus White-winged Doves, Carolina Wrens and American Robins. We also had a Common Grackle yesterday - that's okay as long as he doesn't start bringing his friends.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Welcome aboard

CB

Hi everybody sorry I havn't kept you updated on my garden (loads of House Sparrows still) but I have been dipping in and reading your posts.:t::t:

nothing to report,but a few more pics.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 31
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 127.jpg
    127.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 29
officialy the noisiest youngsters ever....currently in my garden and creating an unbelievable amount of noise begging to the parents are 2 juvenile Carrion Crows.

2011 Garden species - No. 53
Tawny Owl

1am this morning somewhere in the close at the front of the house, then flew to the back garden where it made a bit of a racket while sat in one of the trees.

I have heard Tawnys calling to each other at work only a short distance from my house so maybe this is just on the very edge of their territory or a youngster trying out a new patch for size

Alot of BH Gulls over today with a few LBB Gulls

Highlight though is this fella who perched (with one leg) in the feeder tree for a few minutes, of course it flew off when the camera came out so only got this one image.

Recently fledged Housesparrows (2nd or 3rd brood), 2 newly Fledged Robins and Dunnocks and lots of everything else including too many Feral Pigeons

This evening I have alot of Swifts, probably 30+ swooping down very low taking flying insects from the garden.... off the top of the trees and down to a few feet from the lawn incredible speed and agility.... sat on the patio as it goes on all around me, simply superb!

Attachments

• sprawk1.jpg
    sprawk1.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
We've been getting occasional visits by gangs of young starlings who are noisy and argumentative to say the least! Luckily they don't all turn up at once -

2011-07-11 starlings x50.jpg

I get a different total each time I count but I'm sure there's well over a hundred starlings on that pylon. That shot is taken from our back garden - it's an impressive sight and sound when they all fly overhead together (though they mostly split into two groups when flying).

Our robins seem to have gone awol again but apart from that all the regulars are visiting - including occasional juvenile greenfinches, which is nice to see.

both our starlings and jackdaws had disappeared for a couple of weeks but returned in numbers yesterday.

we had a return visit from the hummingbird hawkmoth too yesterday teatime but despite some thing like scene from benny hill i failed to get a pic again

Nice updates BFB and a cracking shot of a One-Legged Sparrowhawk:t:

Cheers Bongo, A few Sparrowhawks have been checking in and out recently so I guess a few more visits are on the cards.

A few days ago a female drifted low overhead with a small bird in her talons, thankfully not from my garden... ;)

I tried to do a juvenile count earlier but found it very difficult with all the movement back and too, but here is my best guess:
Robin 2 changing into adult moult, 2 newly fledge and very still all marmalde feathered
Dunnock 2 and with 2 more recently fledged
Greenfinch 10 from an older brood but with at least 5 very boldly streaked and looking like a recent brood (with the adult birds I counted 22 Greenfinch)
Goldfinch 2
Blue tits at least 8
Great Tits 4
Coal Tits 2
Chaffinch 5
Carrion Crows 2... noisy sods
Woodpigeon 3
Housesparrows loads with 2 that look like they arrived today
Blackbirds 4
Magpie 2 first brood and a very recent second brood... again looke very recently fledged

Still waiting for a Collared Dove juvenile

No Starlings today and a few Jackdaws in and out

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back