• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

For the last few weeks I've been having my suspicions, so tonight I've ben out in the garden for a proper listen. I'm now 99% sure I can hear a Tawny Owl calling. Does anything else have a similar call? The sound is like a who-wooeoo. The habitat is ideal, but as I'm unlikely ever to get a visual, I'm not going to be able to add it to my garden list, unless anyone has any tricks of the trade?

Bongo wait until the dead of night and it sits in your garden screeeeeeeeching rather loudly (thats what happens now and again here)

Then you can certainly add it to the list.... seen or not ;)

I had my first ever brambling yesterday and today a male sparrowhawk thought he would breakfast on one of our 50 + sparrows but something scared him and he flew onto the fence near the conservatory. Then he flew off.:t:

I had my first ever brambling yesterday and today a male sparrowhawk thought he would breakfast on one of our 50 + sparrows but something scared him and he flew onto the fence near the conservatory. Then he flew off.:t:

Super stuff.... Did you get good views of the Sparrowhawk? Stunning bird

Brambling is one I need for my garden year list, only ever had a couple visit so heres hoping

The Long Tailed Tits have started to return at last, had 7 on the feeders last night. The Goldfinches are increasing at the moment and we had a pair of Blackbirds yesterday. Still getting the usual visitors of Blue, Great and Coal Tits, Chaffinches are still in good numbers but Greenfinches have gone down.
Still getting the Nuthatch as well and Robin sometimes.

We have Tawny Owls coming in to our garden but generally it is just a dark silhouette going from tree to tree that is seen, but sometimes the calls are really close and a few of them around and about the local trees.

QUOTE=Bananafishbones;2265915]Super stuff.... Did you get good views of the Sparrowhawk? Stunning bird

It was a really good view but he only stayed a few seconds. I think he must have returned yesterday because there are loads of goldfinch feathers at the top of the lawn. I am glad I wasn't here to see it happen.
I am listening to my 50+ sparrows having their evening conference. They are really loud.:t:

Last edited:
2011 Garden species - No. 57
Blackcap

In the dim light I thought I saw a male Blackcap but could locate it afterwards so unsure, however no mistaking th female I have just seen around the patio and then feeders. This species didnt quite get onto my early 2011 garden list as the last sighting was Dec 31st 2010

Lots of Blackbirds, Dunnocks and Robins around at the moment, large flocks of Woodpigeon and Gulls passing through

Redwing sat in the tree watching the mayhem of the Blackbirds fighting for territory

Last edited:
just to inform you that i've finally had some birds on the feeders!

Nothing much just a small flock of blue and great tits but its a start at least! :t:

Still getting my regular 20 Goldfinches decimating the feeders. Had a blue tit and a coal tit visit very briefly.

A first for my garden today - a robin. Very common, I know, but always exciting to get something new :)

This morning my new pair of bino's arrived and I was treated to our resident and very large female sparrowhawk tucking into a collard dove! 5 crows- garden record sat above her, comically balancing at the top of a silver birch, eagerly awaiting any remains, but not mobbing her directly.

Several other collards, a wood pigeon and the usual finches and our resident house sparrows were happily feeding away - though it seems the nearby area still has a lot of food to offer as numbers havent really picked up yet in the garden . . which I guess is a positive thing :)

2011 Garden species - No. 57
Blackcap

Nice bird to have visiting:t:

just to inform you that i've finally had some birds on the feeders!

Nothing much just a small flock of blue and great tits but its a start at least! :t:

Thats how I started out too, so I'm sure many other species will follow.

This morning my new pair of bino's arrived and I was treated to our resident and very large female sparrowhawk tucking into a collard dove! 5 crows- garden record sat above her, comically balancing at the top of a silver birch, eagerly awaiting any remains, but not mobbing her directly.

Always good to celebrate some new equipment with a good sighting!

I had a Dunnock this evening, not seen too many of them recently. With the current cold spell and expected frost tonight, surely tomorrow is Siskin day...?

, surely tomorrow is Siskin day...?[/QUOTE]

I hope so! my nearby uni campus has got them, the nijer feeder is waiting for them in anticipation!

Yesterday and today we had some lovely visitors, a pair of sandhill cranes. And yes, they did feed from the feeders, lol. It was quite a sight to see.

This morning we had a male and female cardinal, and throughout the day a couple of morning doves and 3 common ground doves.

Attachments

• IMG_5527%20Sandhill%20Crane%20Sm.jpg
    IMG_5527%20Sandhill%20Crane%20Sm.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 39
Yesterday and today we had some lovely visitors, a pair of sandhill cranes. And yes, they did feed from the feeders, lol. It was quite a sight to see.

Awesome garden birds! A Sandhill was in the UK a couple of weeks ago causing a bit of a stir.

This morning we had a male and female cardinal, and throughout the day a couple of morning doves and 3 common ground doves.

awesome stuff Azzy..... :t:B :):t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back