• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (9 Viewers)

40 for me although most were ground feeding on spilt Nyger

Spilt nyjer brought my highest ever count of 17 Goldfinches, but also a lot of unwanted plants in the spring!

Also 4 Coal Tits visiting here, but that is the norm.

I have been leaving mixed seed out in the evening and it has been missing in the morning. A Police Academy style stake-out yesterday evening revealed the culprit: One very huge badger. Glad to see at least one is back visiting again. He (presumably because of the sheer size) also doesn't seem to mind having a torch shone towards him whilst he's feeding, so its great to get such good views.

Spilt nyjer brought my highest ever count of 17 Goldfinches, but also a lot of unwanted plants in the spring!

Also 4 Coal Tits visiting here, but that is the norm.

I have been leaving mixed seed out in the evening and it has been missing in the morning. A Police Academy style stake-out yesterday evening revealed the culprit: One very huge badger. Glad to see at least one is back visiting again. He (presumably because of the sheer size) also doesn't seem to mind having a torch shone towards him whilst he's feeding, so its great to get such good views.

Pervert,who else do you shine your torch on :-O

Today we had the following visit our feeders -

Collared Dove 3
Coal Tit 1
Great Tit 1
Blue Tit 2
Jackdaw 9
Starlings 30+
House Sparow 20
Goldfinch 15
Dunnock 2

The Coal Tit turned up for the first time yesterday. A mate of mine has had a flock of 12 arriving in his garden. Has anyone else had unusually high numbers for their garden?

This is intresting - http://northlancsringinggroup.blogspot.com/2011/11/coal-tit-winter.html

Surely one of the longest lived Coal Tits. Worth checking with the BTO to see what the record is for a ringed bird.

CB

Unfortunately one is an unusually high number here and a rare sighting too. Interesting info at that link - I wonder how many living relatives a 7yo coal tit might have?

Assuming all the bird nests successfully twice each year and each brood has two young go onto breed, after five years it could have approximately 750 relations (if i've done my maths correctly)

CB

am selling some new large bird feeders with 4 perches if anyone is interested before they go on ebay?

£3.49, p+p will be around £1.80 per item but will be cut for more than one purchase

cheers :t:

Just built a bird table to go with my feeders. I'd just finished it and looked outside to see the usual Goldfinches, a robin, a great tit (just recently started coming) and a coal tit (new!). It's like they knew what was coming.

Attachments

• IMAG2127-1.jpg
    IMAG2127-1.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
If you get into wildlife gardening you'll find you're supposed to keep your garden untidy over autumn/winter. Though laziness is not the only reason I took it up ;)

The sparrowhawk that keeps visiting was here almost all day yesterday, keeping all the little birds away. He just sat looking at my husband who eventually went into the garden to try to shoo him off. The cheeky bird just circled round and landed back on the fence. He disguises himself in our clematis montana and pounces. I haven't seen him catch anything though. I want the little birds back so I hope he gets fed up soon. :t:

Decided to watch the front garden today, no feeders there but a nice rowen attracted many blackbirds, I think a max of six, gobbling berries and fighting, including 1 continental bird, a female blackcap, looks as if she will winter, rather than running the gauntlet of southern mistnets and limesticks. A wren also.

House sparrows, starlings again in the tree, rooks,greenfinch,chaffinch, tits, pied wag and goldcrest, wood pigs and a collared dove overhead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back