• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

3 Siskin, 6 Redpoll, Pied Wagtail, Redwing, female Sparrowhawk and still got the very territorial Fieldfare that is guarding the few remaining apples from everything that lands on the lawn. It sits on a low branch then waits, when an intruder lands on the lawn he swoops down aggressivly and attacks..... often the low swoop will do the trick but a few starlings have fought back with mid air tussles persuing.

Only one winner though

Now 6 Fieldfare and the resident bird is still fighting them off

Last edited:
Been away for a while (been busy moving home) so a belated Happy New Year to all! Anyway, my new garden (which needs a lot of work) is far more bird/wildlife friendly than the last (hedges, conifers, birch, ivy etc), neighbor is even a keen birder and gardener!
As such I already having a steady influx of birds namely Blue and Great tit, robin (extremely territorial), wren, dunnock and blackbird. Not a starling in sight (amazing how you miss them), unfortunately the goldfinches are also completely absent! Neighbor reckons Finches are a rarity (but I'm convinced that is due to the bird food he puts out) but I'm determined to get them visiting. I'm only a mile or so away from my old house, which regularly saw 20 plus a day, so I know they are in the area! Had a Garden first the other day as 6 long-tailed tits feasted on the suet!!!

Well it took around a month but result! I had 3 goldfinches visit this morning, 2 on the niger and 1 on the sunflower hearts, hopefully they will return and bring reinforcements!

Attachments

• u001y.jpg
    u001y.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 27
  • u002.jpg
    u002.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 22
Garden Lifer No. 69 & 2012 Garden species No. 44
Tufted Duck

8 just flown (well, more like zoomed) past. Didnt realise they could move so fast. Probably alot of waterfowl on the move looking for unfrozen lakes.

Just now 2 large skiens of Canadas gone over 50+ in each

another skien of Canadas this time 20+

well done with the Goldies 30something .... keep looking up for the geese, you may get large numbers moving overhead

Last edited:
very busy here,3 redwing,7 blackbirds,numerous coal blue and great tits,collard doves,greenfinches,goldfinches,mistle thrush,4 fieldfare.

Well its certainly picked up in my garden with the much colder weather now. To my amazement today there were two Marsh Tits! I always knew about the one which is a return visitor and been around since before Christmas, and I couldn't believe it when there were two today, so I don't know if they've both always been around or the one's found a mate.

Other highlights today were 3 Redpolls, (previous record was 2), a Wren, lots of Blackbirds, and lots of Chaffinches, Blue and Great tits etc. Also getting regular visits from starlings now which is new as well.

Going to try keep an eye out for the Marsh Tits again tomorrow.

Oh and forgot to add there was a lone female Siskin on the Nyger yesterday too.

Last edited:
2012 Garden species No. 43
Tawny Owl

Nice. One still calling here from somewhere, probably more so than before Christmas. Still no visual though...one day!

Well it took around a month but result! I had 3 goldfinches visit this morning, 2 on the niger and 1 on the sunflower hearts, hopefully they will return and bring reinforcements!

Well done....they will definitely bring more in. Eventually you'll probably get Siskins too.

Garden Lifer No. 69 & 2012 Garden species No. 44
Tufted Duck

You nailed them then:t:

2 moorhen now+ 12 blackbirds fighting over the apples

Different visitors to have:t:

Will congrats on the Marsh Tits! I've never even seen one! :)

Only a glimpse of the garden this morning before work. From what I saw the Chaffinches and Greenfinches still taking it in turns to dominate the perches. Blue Tits are getting fiesty, at least 5 birds have become regulars so alot of scraping involed.

Robin has established the bird table as his and anything else that comes near it he swoops at, especially the poor Dunnocks.

Magpies have also taking a liking to the new fat that I've put out. We shall see what comes in tomorrow as I'm on early tomorrow, shall have the afternoon to put my feet up and see what shall swoop in then B :)

I have found a few moments to do a quick comparison to the RSPB Garden bird watches that some of us did over the last 2 years.

I did my hrs at the same time both years 08.45-09.45: and both days had a hard overnight frost so the conditions are virtually identical

In order of appearance for 2012:

Blackbird 5
Housesparrow 5
Greenfinch 16
Dunnock 1
Goldfinch 4
Woodpigeon 2
Starling 3
Jackdaw 1
Chaffinch 5
Blue tit 3
Collared Dove 2
Lesser Redpoll 11
Coal Tit 1
Magpie 2
Great tit 2
Long Tailed Tit 2

This is how it compares with last year

In order of appearance for 2011:

08.45-09.45

Greenfinch 6
Blackbird 2
Carrion Crow 2
Robin 1
Starling 15
Lesser Redpoll 21
Blue Tit 2
Chaffinch 3
Woodpigeon 4
Siskin 3
Goldfinch 2
Mealy Redpoll 1
Magpie 1
Housesparrow 4
Dunnock 1
Fieldfare 1
Wren 1
Feral Pigeon 6
Collared Dove 1

2012 Vs 2011

16 Species this year Vs 19 Species last year

65 individual birds this year Vs 77 individual birds last year

What does it tell me? probably nothing that I didnt know before ..... Greenfinch numbers are up this year and have been over the whole winter just as the Lesser Redpoll numbers have halved just as they have over the whole winter, and most of the Starlings and Feral Pigeons this year were busy pestering somebody else, But put together with the other million or two results it will paint a better overall picture.

Glad to have done my bit

Last edited:
6 Fieldfare - including the terminator.
1 Redwing, 3 Siskin, 7 Lesser Redpoll, 35 Greenfinch are this morning highlights

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back