• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (7 Viewers)

garden birds

been getting a few new birds this winter to my feeder this includes a tree creeper a goldfinch a sparrowhawk and a blackap (male).

usually i have abot 10 max. greenfinches,7 chafffinches,many woodpigeons,robins, blackbirds,an male great spotted woodpecker,c.3 coal tits,great tits, blue tits,long tailed tits and about 5 nuthatches also a few wrens.
At the moment the birds are finnishing the feeder at an very quick rate. i have to fill them up every few days!

Today in our yard we had:

Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
European Starling
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Today in our yard we had:

Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
European Starling
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Larry I am always envious of how your fare with the Woodpeckers. It seems to be American yards in general. I presume your Woodpeckers are more tolerant of being around humans.

The three (3) woodpeckers I mentioned above are regular, daily visitors to our yard/feeders. Occasionally we have Hairy Woodpecker, infrequently a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and one time we had a Red-headed Woodpecker in the yard. I believe it must have been blown in by a strong east wind!

The seventh woodpecker expected in Missouri is the Pileated. We have never had that one in our yard, but they prefer heavily wooded areas and we live in a modest residential area. That being the case we would not expect one of these to show up in our yard.

The only other woodpecker I have seen in Missouri was a Lewis's Woodpecker. That one was accidental for Missouri. It was in an area south of where we live in Saint Joseph, Missouri. (a couple of hours driving time to get to where it was)

I recorded one in our garden the other evening. I couldn't believe its repetoire of song. In the 5 minutes I recorded I don't believe I heard the same 'song' twice.! Some of them sounded distinctly like other birds calls and envionment sounds that had been learnt.

Video picture was appalling unfortunately, taken against a murky grey sky in low light but there was no mistaking the bird .
Hope ours comes back

I recorded one in our garden the other evening. I couldn't believe its repetoire of song. In the 5 minutes I recorded I don't believe I heard the same 'song' twice.

Same here. It carried on for about an hour, but it was too cold for me to get up and get a visual!

Other highlights so far this morning, whilst waiting for a plumber: Pair of Bullfinches, 3 LTTs, 5 Redpoll and 4 Siskin.

EDIT Now 6 LTTs, GSW and the male Sprawk paid a visit.

Last edited:
been getting a few new birds this winter to my feeder this includes a tree creeper a goldfinch a sparrowhawk and a blackap (male).

usually i have abot 10 max. greenfinches,7 chafffinches,many woodpigeons,robins, blackbirds,an male great spotted woodpecker,c.3 coal tits,great tits, blue tits,long tailed tits and about 5 nuthatches also a few wrens.
At the moment the birds are finnishing the feeder at an very quick rate. i have to fill them up every few days!

Nice assortment you have in the garden, keep up the good work and welcome to the thread :t:

Welcome to the thread Cameron, keep popping in with updates :t:

Woken at 6 this morning by a Song Thrush.

I recorded one in our garden the other evening. I couldn't believe its repetoire of song. In the 5 minutes I recorded I don't believe I heard the same 'song' twice.! Some of them sounded distinctly like other birds calls and envionment sounds that had been learnt.

I had a bird singing at my work place just prior to this recent cold snap. The song is very warming on a winters morning and gives me hope spring will soon be here.

CB

Welcome to the thread. Some good birds there. One local birders near me had five Blackcaps in his garden earlier this week.

CB

Well this has been a good week! With only limited time to check my feeders i don't see everything tho, had Chaffinch and goldfinches on Monday and Tuesday in the 30 minutes i get in the morning to check, Also had big numbers of starlings with up to 15+ at once, normally only get around 7 ish at one time, more sparrows aswell. Had around 12 at one time. Normally have around 6 ish. Also had up to 5-6 blackbirds!!!! Normally ( like month ego) we never saw any, maybe 1 on the odd. Now we get regular at least 2-3. Also had my 2 resident collars doves, had more blue and great tits lately aswell. And had Mr Magpie vist Wednesday evening. Still waiting for first LTT and greenfinches.

To conclude. There's been way more birds than normal, must be the fold pushing them around...Better keep well stocked up of seed! And fat balls.

Once a sharp-shinned hawk(juv) took a rock dove earlier today had a flood of birds in yard.
Artic blast has temp currently at 23f (-4c) supposed to drop to 14f (-10c) late tonight.
At about 4:00p cst had...
17 northern cardinals
23 amer. goldfinch
2 house finch
2 carolina chicadees
2 tufted titmouse
4 mourning doves
1 carolina wren
3 amer. robin
2 downy woodpeckers
1 hairy woodpecker (female)
12+ dark eyed junco's
12+ white throated sparrows
3 eurasion tree sparrows
1+ english house sparrows
6+ starlings
5 (-1) rockdoves*....have an asterisk by it.
1 "ppss" (probable pre-sharp shinned) yellow rumped warbler in crown of burr oak.
number of interesting indeterminates in creek bed needing confirmation while toasty warm indoors on a day off.

Brilliant list B B. I bet the 17 cardinals is a wonderful sight you may not appreciate it but I would love tree sparrow in my garden come to think of it I haven't seen one this year anywhere yet. Enjoy that coffee!

Last edited:
Our garden has been coming to life over the past couple of weeks. We've had up to 20 Goldfinches, 5 Chaffinches, 3 Greenfinch, Blue, Great and Coal Tits, Starlings and House Sparrows. I put out some fruit a few days ago but it wasn't being touched until 35 Redwing and a single Fieldfare descended yesterday. Also up to 5 Blackbirds including a female missing a foot although she seems ok otherwise. Everything was put into panic mode yesterday when a Sparrowhawk appeared overhead.

Brilliant list B B. I bet the 17 cardinals is a wonderful sight you may not appreciate it but I would love tree sparrow in my garden come to think of it I haven't seen one this year anywhere yet. Enjoy that coffee!

Always thought ETS were very common birds your way BFB,hope not anything problematic.We have small local pop. folks enjoy for most part.Voted different, but once pres. GHW.Bush came into town in early ninties to "tick" ETS here. (W's dad). He's a birder,had seen over your way in past but never here.

Being able to take pic below thrill of a lifetime,dont know if it will ever happen again here.Common redpoll from our canadian neighbors to the north together with eurasian tree sparrow,descended from those intoduced in 1870's after being brought over from UK. Was very special to see,get a meager snapshot of in backyard here.(a couple weeks ago)

Cheers,
Bill

Attachments

• K5__8649.jpg
    K5__8649.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 38
I have been birding just over a year, never seen a redwing in Britain in the year of birding. Then flock 10 just pops up in the garden!!! What a surprise.

This cold weather is pushing them all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back