• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

A mixed bag this PM:
Buzzard over, 3 Swallows through the garden... as low as I have seen them around here and a female Sparrowhawk.

Other than that lots of Greenfinch and the usuals

Last edited:
Busy day here, at least 10 collared doves and 12 starlings in the garden at same time, 2 male and 1 female bullfinches,goldfinches, greenfinches, juvenile blackbirds, sparrows and starlings.chaffinches 1 turtle dove last time saw 2 was Friday, sunflower hearts going down pretty fast,great to watch though.

Having a wonderful morning on the porch. My garden fish pond had it's first ever hammerkop come inspect, four green (red billed) wood hoopoe had a cackling sing along on one tree, lovely purple and green white bellied sunbirds found my flowers, and I caught sight of an African fish eagle soaring above. All of that in addition to my normal cast of mocking cliff chats, familiar chats, fiscal flycatchers, weavers, cape glossy starlings, and hornbills. I don't want to go to work. :-(

Having a wonderful morning on the porch. My garden fish pond had it's first ever hammerkop come inspect, four green (red billed) wood hoopoe had a cackling sing along on one tree, lovely purple and green white bellied sunbirds found my flowers, and I caught sight of an African fish eagle soaring above. All of that in addition to my normal cast of mocking cliff chats, familiar chats, fiscal flycatchers, weavers, cape glossy starlings, and hornbills. I don't want to go to work. :-(

welcome Vilasy to the garden thread... :t: Good to have a SA connection

How about some photos from your South African garden ;) - this would also be a first for this thread and they sound like they may brighten things up as were having some miserable weather so could do with chering up :king:

at last ...... first juvenile Blackbird.

Simple things make me happy...lol

But seriously, the Magpies have all but decimated the Blackbird nests this spring so I wasnt expecting any from this clutch of eggs.

1st Greenfinch of the year for me today and a garden record breaking 24 Jackdaw.....

jeepers !:eek!: I thought we were unlucky having 12+ of the greedy wotsits.:C

They swarm our two lilac trees squawking at the top of their lungs sending all the little birds scattering, then they try to hang on the suet feeders .

its comical to watch but they hog all the feeders and keep the other birds away.
I spent all morning banging the back door or shooting the lock quickly like a pistol shot. They'd fly off for about 3 minutes then they'd creep back again Gave up in the end.:C

welcome Vilasy to the garden thread... :t: Good to have a SA connection

How about some photos from your South African garden ;) - this would also be a first for this thread and they sound like they may brighten things up as were having some miserable weather so could do with chering up :king:

Thanks for thhe welcome!
Will try to post some, though I'm having an awful time uploading - reduced to usi my iPad and phone, and they both don't like to post photos, for some reason.

It's sure sunny here. And -4 at night! That said, most of my garden is indigenous aloes, to attract the local birds, which all flower in winter. It is amazing to me every year - in the summer, they have enough food in thhe bush to eat, but come winter, they all flock to my garden. Nice compensation for the cold.

Some photos. a cape weaver, a female white breasted sunbird (wish I got her male, he is exquisite) and my pathetic attempt at capturing the mob of african swifts that I was so enchanted by this morning.

If you want more garden pictures, I managed to put pictures of the garden and house up at http://vilasy.livejournal.com/pics/catalog/16109 - we've almost finished building it, it is very DIY.

Attachments

• DSC_0061.jpg
    DSC_0061.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0052.jpg
    DSC_0052.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 41
New yard bird yesterday when a Yellow-crowned Night Heron flew over.

Our backyard is getting lots of visits from fledglings now - House Sparrows, White-winged Doves, Carolina Chickadees, Northern Cardinals, Northern Mockingbirds and Blue Jays (photo). It's fun watching them all through our living-room windows.

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC01281.JPG
    DSC01281.JPG
    378.8 KB · Views: 34
Some photos. a cape weaver, a female white breasted sunbird (wish I got her male, he is exquisite) and my pathetic attempt at capturing the mob of african swifts that I was so enchanted by this morning.

If you want more garden pictures, I managed to put pictures of the garden and house up at http://vilasy.livejournal.com/pics/catalog/16109 - we've almost finished building it, it is very DIY.

Love the Violet Backed Starling image - I have been swotting up on your species ready for a visit to Cape Town in 2013 :t:

Lovely house - pity about the naff views out of every door and window ;););)

Love the Violet Backed Starling image - I have been swotting up on your species ready for a visit to Cape Town in 2013 :t:

Lovely house - pity about the naff views out of every door and window ;););)

Yeah, sucks about the view, hey? The compensation is a roughly 150 pounds a month rent. That said, I'm sure my salary is a full tenth of yours. If that.

The cape has lovely birds - I don't know them as well as I do those here, but half the time when I find a cool bird in my book, I sigh and say, "oh, right. Cape town."

If you have a layover in joburg, come hang at my bird hide - er, porch. I can almost guarantee a violet backed starling if you come in October or November. I don't care how common some of our birds are, they're flipping stunning. Even if you see them five times a day.

Last edited:
Which image for the comp?

A bit of help please folks .....

Which image should I enter into this months photo comp - Animals

The Jaguar was a once in a lifetime shot and very very lucky to be able to get any sort of shot with such a secretive species.

The Sloth is just the pose of a lifetime capture.

Which one stands more of a chance of getting votes? - the detail in the sloth wins, the pose in the sloth wins..... but the Jaguar is very very special and very rare.

Thoughts from fellow garden watchers (and votes ;)) will be appreciated before I enter one of the images

Cheers
Dave

Attachments

• 1808-005.JPG
    1808-005.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 554-002.JPG
    554-002.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 36

Users who are viewing this thread

Back