• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings (1 Viewer)

Interesting looking (if cold) north-easterlies forecast for a few days time, which might give some fresh impetus to the influx. Here in the south, the flurry of early records has pretty much died out and so we're stuck with waiting for birds to filter down from further north, as normal.

Plausible

...still early in the season here mind, mid December influxes not rare. So hopefully them Russian birds will get moving too.

You probs have not seen the special weather forecast just on the last Autumnwatch but evidently the weather is still very mild over Moscow and that area of Russia, temperatures are even warmer than here if I remember right. However next week some artic winds are going to start coming down and the temp. there is going to drop accordingly so that will most likely be the catalyst for the Russian birds to make their move.

A good number of Waxwings have been colour ringed in Orkney recently.

Orkney Waxwings have a unique combination of three colour rings on one leg and a metal ring and a yellow colour ring on the other. Yellow signifies from Orkney - I believe for birds trapped in Aberdeen the colour of choice is white.

One of our birds was seen in Norwich on the 16th.

An Orkney Waxwing was caught by us today (along with 47 others) in central Aberdeen. It was M/Y (R) YBG (L) and ringed on Orkney 31/10/10.

Can birders/photographers please keep checking Waxwing flocks for colour ringed birds - Grampian Ringing Group have now cooulr ringed over 250, in addition to 100 or more from Orkney.

LC

However next week some artic winds are going to start coming down and the temp. there is going to drop accordingly so that will most likely be the catalyst for the Russian birds to make their move.

It is due to hit us mid-week - snow from Monday, minus eight by Wednesday.

Interesting looking (if cold) north-easterlies forecast for a few days time, which might give some fresh impetus to the influx. Here in the south, the flurry of early records has pretty much died out and so we're stuck with waiting for birds to filter down from further north, as normal.

Since the birds arived there has been lots of sutable weather to bring more accross to us bit this just hasnt happened. It will be interesting to see if there are more that might head out across the sea in this direction if the temperture drops and pushes them before it as Jaf suggest's. Fingers crossed but i will be at the wrong end of the country by then!!

Had a flock of around 40 descend on our Rowan tree today, we are in the Southside of Glasgow.

We also have had a pair of Fieldfares that visit this time of year for each of this last 4 years. This year it's just the one bird though.

These birds descended on to our local patch yesterday (pictures taken earlier today) initially 20+ now 46 birds in flock.

Attachments

• Waxwings 1_forum.jpg
    Waxwings 1_forum.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 92
  • Waxwings 2_forum.jpg
    Waxwings 2_forum.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Waxwings 4_forum.jpg
    Waxwings 4_forum.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Waxwings 3_forum.jpg
    Waxwings 3_forum.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 85
Given the number of waxwings in the UK and their photogenic appeal, how many photos will be uploaded to Birguides before winter is out? Currently 1937 photos, my guess is that will double.

Checked some time ago that before this winters selection there were 1896 photos on there, over 600 added in the 7 weeks or so since, could have underestimated.

Finally saw 10 today in Petersfield...after missing the ones on my doorstep...! Still very much absent from the central/western south coast counties (as usual!)

I'm delighted to say Alcester has finally got a share! They're every bit as beautiful as I'd expected.

Finally saw 10 today in Petersfield...after missing the ones on my doorstep...! Still very much absent from the central/western south coast counties (as usual!)

Typical - the ones on my doorstep turned up again today!!! :-O So after seeing them and the WT Eagle not a bad day ;)

350 to 400++ again at Park Farm, Folkestone in Kent, feeding on several White Beam Berries now nearing the end of supplies, good watching all the same...

Why do they continue on to the Hebrides??? There are loads there today and very few on the east coast. They must have come from Scandinavia, once they hit Britain there are loads of berries. Why carry on to the edge of the civilised world???

No ringing on the sabbath in the Western Isles!!
They like the day off.
Either that, or they are migrating from the lowerslopes of the Himalays to Scandinavia.

Regards

Malky

It is now the 23rd of April, it is 25 degrees outside and we still have Waxwings in Yorkshire :eek!: they must be planning to move north soon, surely??

I wonder if there will be any form of breeding attempt this year given the numbers still in the country??

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back