• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Midlands/Warwickshire local patches. (1 Viewer)

the fishermen... they occasionally get up into the 'Conservation Area', presumably when there are certain wind directions affecting fish or casting etc.

I don't think the fisherman who wandered in front of the hide at 11am this morning was affected by the wind direction.

I think he just completely ignored the conservation area and strolled along the entire shoreline from one side to the other in order to save himself a five minute walk via the road. Sadly, every hobby has its morons. :C

Back on the subject of birds, boy was Draycote quiet (even before some halfwit set everything in Tofts Shallows to flight). Did any real birders get down there and find anything I missed?

I had a nice little brown bird today, i think it's a wren, think i'm getting the hang of this photo lark, more to follow (i've got hundreds like this, get ready!), just need a little photoshop work to get them to my usual high standard. This one only took a few minutes to touch up, the rest should be quicker as i've recorded an action in photoshop now.

Attachments

• Wren.jpg
    Wren.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 66
This one is a little different, you'll appreciate this one. Yep, yet another kingfisher shot :)

Attachments

• Kingfisher.jpg
    Kingfisher.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 65
Nice post Blackbird I guess judging (no pun intended) by the posts we are few in number. Every birder should know this but I will post the Birdwatchers Code Of Conduct below and then see how many apply to the “Pecgate” saga.

1. Welfare of birds must come first. Whether your particular interest is photography, ringing, sound recording, scientific study or just birdwatching, remember that the welfare of the bird must always come first.

2. Habitat protection. Its habitat is vital to a bird and therefore we must ensure that our activities do not cause damage.

3. Keep disturbance to a minimum. Birds' tolerance of disturbance varies between species and seasons. Therefore, it is safer to keep all disturbance to a minimum. No birds should be disturbed from the nest in case opportunities for predators to take eggs or young are increased. In very cold weather disturbance to birds may cause them to use vital energy at a time when food is difficult to find. Wildfowlers already impose bans during cold weather: birdwatchers should exercise similar discretion.

4. Rare breeding birds. If you discover a rare bird breeding and feel that protection is necessary, inform the appropriate RSPB Regional Office, or the Species Protection Department at the Lodge. Otherwise it is best in almost all circumstances to keep the record strictly secret in order to avoid disturbance by other birdwatchers and attacks by egg-collectors. Never visit known sites of rare breeding birds unless they are adequately protected. Even presence may give away the site to others and cause so many other visitors that the birds may fail to breed successfully. Disturbance at or near the nest of species listed on the First Schedule of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 is a criminal offence.

5. Rare migrants. Rare migrants or vagrants must not be harassed. If you discover one, consider the circumstances carefully before telling anyone. Will an influx of birdwatchers disturb the bird or others in the area? Will the habitat be damaged? Will problems be caused with the landowner?

6. The Law. The bird protection laws, as now embodied in the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, are the result of hard campaigning by previous generations of birdwatchers. As birdwatchers we must abide by them at all times and not allow them to fall into disrepute.

7. Respect the rights of landowners. The wishes of landowners and occupiers of land must be respected. Do not enter land without permission. Comply with permit schemes. If you are leading a group, do give advance notice of the visit, even if a formal permit scheme is not in operation. Always obey the Country Code.

8. Respect the rights of other people. Have proper consideration for other birdwatchers. Try not to disrupt their activities or scare the birds they are watching. There are many other people who also use the countryside. Do not interfere with their activities and, if it seems that what they are doing is causing unnecessary disturbance to birds, do try to take a balanced view. Flushing gulls when walking a dog on a beach may do little harm, while the same dog might be a serious disturbance at a tern colony. When pointing this out to a non-birdwatcher be courteous, but firm. The non-birdwatchers' goodwill towards birds must not be destroyed by the attitudes of birdwatchers.

9. Keeping records. Much of today's knowledge about birds is the result of meticulous record keeping by our predecessors. Make sure you help to add to tomorrow's knowledge by sending records to your county bird recorder.

10. Birdwatching abroad. Behave abroad as you would at home. This code should be firmly adhered to when abroad (whatever the local laws). Well-behaved birdwatchers can be important ambassadors for bird protection.

Regards

John

Pec Gate

Nice post Blackbird I guess judging (no pun intended) by the posts we are few in number. Every birder should know this but I will post the Birdwatchers Code Of Conduct below and then see how many apply to the “Pecgate” saga.

1. Welfare of birds must come first. Whether your particular interest is photography, ringing, sound recording, scientific study or just birdwatching, remember that the welfare of the bird must always come first.

2. Habitat protection. Its habitat is vital to a bird and therefore we must ensure that our activities do not cause damage.

3. Keep disturbance to a minimum. Birds' tolerance of disturbance varies between species and seasons. Therefore, it is safer to keep all disturbance to a minimum. No birds should be disturbed from the nest in case opportunities for predators to take eggs or young are increased. In very cold weather disturbance to birds may cause them to use vital energy at a time when food is difficult to find. Wildfowlers already impose bans during cold weather: birdwatchers should exercise similar discretion.

4. Rare breeding birds. If you discover a rare bird breeding and feel that protection is necessary, inform the appropriate RSPB Regional Office, or the Species Protection Department at the Lodge. Otherwise it is best in almost all circumstances to keep the record strictly secret in order to avoid disturbance by other birdwatchers and attacks by egg-collectors. Never visit known sites of rare breeding birds unless they are adequately protected. Even presence may give away the site to others and cause so many other visitors that the birds may fail to breed successfully. Disturbance at or near the nest of species listed on the First Schedule of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 is a criminal offence.

5. Rare migrants. Rare migrants or vagrants must not be harassed. If you discover one, consider the circumstances carefully before telling anyone. Will an influx of birdwatchers disturb the bird or others in the area? Will the habitat be damaged? Will problems be caused with the landowner?

6. The Law. The bird protection laws, as now embodied in the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, are the result of hard campaigning by previous generations of birdwatchers. As birdwatchers we must abide by them at all times and not allow them to fall into disrepute.

7. Respect the rights of landowners. The wishes of landowners and occupiers of land must be respected. Do not enter land without permission. Comply with permit schemes. If you are leading a group, do give advance notice of the visit, even if a formal permit scheme is not in operation. Always obey the Country Code.

8. Respect the rights of other people. Have proper consideration for other birdwatchers. Try not to disrupt their activities or scare the birds they are watching. There are many other people who also use the countryside. Do not interfere with their activities and, if it seems that what they are doing is causing unnecessary disturbance to birds, do try to take a balanced view. Flushing gulls when walking a dog on a beach may do little harm, while the same dog might be a serious disturbance at a tern colony. When pointing this out to a non-birdwatcher be courteous, but firm. The non-birdwatchers' goodwill towards birds must not be destroyed by the attitudes of birdwatchers.

9. Keeping records. Much of today's knowledge about birds is the result of meticulous record keeping by our predecessors. Make sure you help to add to tomorrow's knowledge by sending records to your county bird recorder.

10. Birdwatching abroad. Behave abroad as you would at home. This code should be firmly adhered to when abroad (whatever the local laws). Well-behaved birdwatchers can be important ambassadors for bird protection.

Regards

John

Well done John. Thats what it' s all about. A well crafted reply to the first few pathetic responses. How about a new forum for birders where we can exchange news. Of course it will be password protected. I'm suprised there aren't more responses. They must all like 'Strictly'.

Well done John. Thats what it' s all about. A well crafted reply to the first few pathetic responses. How about a new forum for birders where we can exchange news. Of course it will be password protected. I'm suprised there aren't more responses. They must all like 'Strictly'.

Can't see any problem with starting a "real" Warwickshire Birders on Yahoo groups, the person who sets it up would be able to moderate the members and no hiding behind different names (no offence Blackbird) Look forward to you setting it up.
You can also choose members to be moderators too.

Regards

John

Can't see any problem with starting a "real" Warwickshire Birders on Yahoo groups, the person who sets it up would be able to moderate the members and no hiding behind different names (no offence Blackbird) Look forward to you setting it up.
You can also choose members to be moderators too.

Regards

John

No one posts on the Warwickshire birding yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/warwickbirds/

or the West Midlands one

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/WMBC-WestMidlands/

No-one reports any sightings to Steve Seal's Warwickshire Birding Blog

http://warwickshirebirding.blogspot.com/

PS. I agree, bird welfare should always come first. I'm in that camp :)

Look forward to the 'real' group being created, hope you do better that the rest of us have for getting news.

Why not start a Txt Alert between all Warks birders? We did something similar bk in the 80's (Home phones) for local stuff especially Seeswood (when there used to be a few birders watching!!) I'm not saying put ur No's on the forum but there are ways & means!! might be a tog but still put me hrs in bashing the local patches (well when im not housebound!!) Hopefully bk out & about after nxt wk? (If my neck will take the weight of me bins??)

Dave

Last edited:
The Blackbird

Thanks for the comments

'And while I' m at it can someone from the lens brigade tell me what compels you to litter forums like this with scores of photos that really are so below average. I for one have no interest in looking at all these waders when they all look the same.'

It's an open forum & yes some photos are better than others but everyone should feel free to post whatever photos (However bad) or sightings (However common) that they like!! Yes to the unexperianced eye Quote 'waders when they all look the same.'
They're quite different & there is a lot of young/old newcomers new to birdwatching/photography etc who visit the forums!! I actually spent time with an old boy (at least 50+ ;) ) who didn't know the difference between a Dunlin/Ruff/Pec Sand for that matter!! We all start somewhere !! I just enjoy being out in the field meeting/teaching & yes still learning from some of my elders JJ,Dog etc

Make sure you help to add to tomorrow's knowledge by sending records to your county bird recorder.

No disrespect but i will never pass stuff to the county recorder (why should I ?) I dont see him sending out his sightings 'EVER' even when he has County megas? (Aquatic wblr, Corncrake to name but a few!) but still asks for records & descriptions of some bits & bobs like Honey Buzzard,Caspian Gull etc & can reject as he feels without anyone questioning a fly thru Aquatic he gets locally!!! whilst im still on me rant (i also have it that the same person used a rope thru a meadow to try & put a supposed Corncrake up?? according to the farmer whos land it was on!!) (Correct me if im wrong if anyone knows different!)

Last edited:
I would also like to agree with not discouraging people to post photos, its a free world. Just make sure the photos are obtained in a decent manner!
I like seeing bird photos of any standard and mine are probably the worst!

Just remember if you put in hard work to find birds, would you be annoyed if you released the news and another birder or tog flushed it because they ignored 'the rules' or a fisherperson, runner, kid, dog walker etc flushed it because they copied somone else who was supposed to follow 'the rules'

Lets get back on to bird sightings, this is starting to sound like that fish id issue from a while ago!!

Last edited:
No disrespect but i will never pass stuff to the county recorder (why should I ?) I dont see him sending out his sightings 'EVER' even when he has County megas? (Aquatic wblr, Corncrake to name but a few!) but still asks for records & descriptions of some bits & bobs like Honey Buzzard,Caspian Gull etc & can reject as he feels without anyone questioning a fly thru Aquatic he gets locally!!! whilst im still on me rant (i also have it that the same person used a rope thru a meadow to try & put a supposed Corncrake up?? according to the farmer whos land it was on!!) (Correct me if im wrong if anyone knows different!)

I thought I read in one of the reports it was the aquatic warbler they were flushing with the rope, twice through the reed bed, but my memory is pretty bad, it could of been a corncrake and a field, or was it Col. Mustard with the lead pipe in the Library ;)

Edit: Nope you were right, they were draggin for the corn crake, but flushed the aquatic warbler, then again and again and again :)

"On the fourth go it finally had enough, and flew across into the riverside reeds...." 2005 Annual Report p229

Last edited:

Regards

John

Hi, John. Be careful of appearing too 'holier than thou' - don't forget that Bob D's photo shows a very good, long-term birding friend of both of you who could probably tell some tales about you that might fail the Birdwatchers code ;) - and don't forget also that he's found some really good birds for you, including the Draycote Baird's Sandpiper a few years ago. Although Bob's comments under his photo on his blog are very fair, he must have known the reaction it would provoke in some people. Fine, if one hasn't been guilty of the same thing oneself, but... Far better to go and have a quiet word with your friend at the time (which would have produced a positive response from two of us, at least) rather than risking holding a mate up to ridicule. We all get it wrong some times - let's just learn from it and close this topic - and the next time I find anything good on my local patches you're all (even the doubters) more than welcome to come over and go pretty much wherever you like! Actually, like Draycote, there was practically nothing around today. apart from a couple of fly-over Siskins (the Rosefinch is just a few miles away to be classed as one of our local spots!)

I hope the recent posts stop people posting pics unless they are top quality shots of rarities.

I for one love to see all the shots posted whether they are of rare or common birds and the quality doesn't matter to me.Some birders I know get great shots with very basic kit.If you do not want to see the pics posted don't open them.

Dave Hutton : Was the "old boy (at least 50+) who didn't know the difference between a Dunlin/Ruff/Pec Sand" me?????

Max.

I hope the recent posts stop people posting pics unless they are top quality shots of rarities.

If you want to only see top quality shots, try the photography forum. Last time i looked this was a bird forum, so my record shots are good enough to post here.

Dave Hutton : Was the "old boy (at least 50+) who didn't know the difference between a Dunlin/Ruff/Pec Sand" me?????

Max.

No Max im not sure who he was just a chap who i spent an hour with at Draycote (Dunlin was a life tick for him)He did say he hadnt been birding very long :t:

Dave

(the Rosefinch is just a few miles away to be classed as one of our local spots!)

Just to say, if anyone is thinking of going for this, at ti's current location there will be no further access after today. If it is seen at another location it may still be reported. Chances are today will be the best chance though.

Gareth

I was there until about 10.30am and the owner never said anything about no more access after today. What brought that on.

BTW a very rare out of area sighting at the Rosefinch site was Steve Whitehouse. I can't recall the last time I saw him out of his area for such a bird.

John

Just to say, if anyone is thinking of going for this, at ti's current location there will be no further access after today. If it is seen at another location it may still be reported. Chances are today will be the best chance though.

Gareth

Make sure you help to add to tomorrow's knowledge by sending records to your county bird recorder.

Hi Dave,
Don't know the county recorder myself, but from what I can gather he does most of his birding at a sensitive site, which the owners don't want too many people entering as well, and I think that's where he sees most of his rarities. I'm told that he knows his stuff. Incidently, he and a mate of mine found an Aquatic Warbler today at the site! Later saw it for myself with about a dozen other birders - I believe someone's reported it (don't know if they should've).

Matt

Last edited:
Nice to see some more of the Sphincter Police are coming out of the woodwork. Blackbird - let's see some of your prize-winning photographs, shall we? I assume you're that good to be making such judgements of other people's shots.

As Jeff pointed out, the very best shots tend to be aired on photo forums. This is for those folks who go out birding armed with a scope / bins and a camera.

I find it very informative to see what sort of photos people are getting from some sites, with particular gear, so I can work out if I can get similar without having to climb over a wall, and scare all the other birdies away to get my desired shot. ;)

Love the wren shot Jeff :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back