• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are your 10 favorite binoculars (1 Viewer)

Dennis, Dennis, you recently said yourself that the NL is clearly superior to the EL, larger AFOV, much better contrast, higher sharpness, and you also emphasized the brightness again, that better handling too!

How did the NL 8x42 fall out of favor with you so quickly?

Andreas
I compared the NL to my Porros and I actually decided I liked the view through the porros better. I really prefer the 3D stereoscopic image of the porros to the flatter image of the NL. Just personal preference. I still think the NL is the best roof prism I have looked through.

Най-добрият бинокъл, който съм виждал, са трите Swarovski NL Pure..8x42, 10x42, 12x42 ..., които по някаква причина все още не съм купил, но възнамерявам да купя. След тях е бинокълът, който имах Swarovski 10x50fieldpro, страхотен бинокъл. преди това имах Swarovski SLC 15x56 .... страхотно. Преди това Nikon SE 12x 50 ... и Dokter 8x56, Zeiss Jenopten 10x50 ... Pentax 18x 60 ... руски 20x 60, 10x50, 7x50, 8x30 ...

Най-добрият бинокъл, който съм виждал, са трите Swarovski NL Pure..8x42, 10x42, 12x42 ..., които по някаква причина все още не съм купил, но възнамерявам да купя. След тях е бинокълът, който имах Swarovski 10x50fieldpro, страхотен бинокъл. преди това имах Swarovski SLC 15x56 .... страхотно. Преди това Nikon SE 12x 50 ... и Dokter 8x56, Zeiss Jenopten 10x50 ... Pentax 18x 60 ... руски 20x 60, 10x50, 7x50, 8x30 ...
Translation:
"The best binoculars I've seen are the three Swarovski NL Pure..8x42, 10x42, 12x42 ..., which for some reason I haven't bought yet, but I intend to buy. After them is the binoculars I had Swarovski 10x50fieldpro, great binoculars. Before that I had a Swarovski SLC 15x56 .... great. Before that Nikon SE 12x 50 ... and Dokter 8x56, Zeiss Jenopten 10x50 ... Pentax 18x 60 ... Russian 20x 60, 10x50, 7x50, 8x30 ..."

Dennis, Dennis, you recently said yourself that the NL is clearly superior to the EL, larger AFOV, much better contrast, higher sharpness, and you also emphasized the brightness again, that better handling too!

How did the NL 8x42 fall out of favor with you so quickly?

Andreas
He is a "binocular butterfly" and there are so many "flowers".

Как ви хареса Docter 8x56? Чувал съм, че те са хубави, но вече трудно се намират.
Приятни цветове. Голям тежък бинокъл. Мисля, че беше 110 м / 1000 м. Но Swarovski е друга лига .SLC и EL и NL ...

Приятни цветове. Голям тежък бинокъл. Мисля, че беше 110 м / 1000 м. Но Swarovski е друга лига .SLC и EL и NL ...
"Nice colors. Large heavy binoculars. I think it was 110 m / 1000 m. But Swarovski is another league .SLC and EL and NL ..."

Thanks!

NLs are the top standard. My particular binocular has a very tight focus. I like that. Once I have it set it is unbelievable. I can honestly give kudos where they are due. Swarovski hit it out of the park.
Your NL has a very tight focuser? Mine was quite loose and easy compared to an EL or SLC.

Used Most: 10x42 SF, 8x42 NL & 12x50 SV
Used Regularly: 8.5x42 SV, 8x32 SV, 10x32 SV, 8x32 FL
Used Less Regularly: 10x42 BGAT, 7x42 BGAT
Used Rarely (Porro’s): Zeiss 8x30 Jenoptem, Zeiss 10x50 Jenoptem

Used Most: 10x42 SF, 8x42 NL & 12x50 SV
Used Regularly: 8.5x42 SV, 8x32 SV, 10x32 SV, 8x32 FL
Used Less Regularly: 10x42 BGAT, 7x42 BGAT
Used Rarely (Porro’s): Zeiss 8x30 Jenoptem, Zeiss 10x50 Jenoptem
That is about $25K worth of binoculars! You have a lot of superb binoculars to choose from. Why don't you use the Porros?

That is about $25K worth of binoculars! You have a lot of superb binoculars to choose from. Why don't you use the Porros?
I do use the porro’s on occasion, perhaps in the garden, but as a glasses wearer, they aren’t suitable for the style of birding I enjoy as I’d be forever removing my glasses.

The FLs are super comfortable once you get them set up. They are very sharp. I think that they may be sharper in the center sweet spot than the ELs but the ELs make up for that center sharpness as they are uniformly sharp to my eyes right to the edges. The ELs have a smidge more eye relief but they are heavier. I haven't yet ran the NLs against everybody but like the hot new babe I am still in the honeymoon phase where they are just fantastic. I might have a pair of 15 Meostars in my future. But I need to get my Porro 10X40W Habichts first.
Zeiss FL and SF are really sharp on-axis. That is one of the things I like about them.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back