• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Binoculars ? (1 Viewer)

My wife and I want to buy new binoculars, budget about £300 each. They are for general birdwatching. Would like some which are not too heavy. I keep hearing that 8x42 are the best for general bird watching. I am thinking of Nikon Monarch, a little over budget I know. Any suggestions for others I should look for.

I want to try before I buy so which is the best shop for binoculars that has a good range, I live in the oxford area.

I have three binoculars -- 8x20 Leica Ultravid, 8x30 Nikon Monarch M7 and 8x42 Vortex Viper, 2018 edition -- all purchased for general birdwatching. I wanted a range of sizes because I sometimes carry a daypack for hiking, and at age 71, the total weight matters. Of the three binoculars, I use the Nikon Monarch M7 8x30 by far the most. For me, it's a great balance between weight and optical characteristics. You might want to test the 8x30 Monarchs, to compare with other binos you are considering.

A few comments on various characteristics:
  • Weight: If the binos are lighter, you might take them with you more often.
  • Magnification: Yes, 8x for general birdwatching.
  • Light-gathering power: This depends largely on the size of the objective lens (consequently it is correlated with weight). But it also depends on the quality of the glass, which is why it's worth comparing 8x30 and 8x42 at the same price point. For general birdwatching, how much light-gathering power you need depends on how much viewing you expect to do under various lighting conditions. (In well-lit situations, you won't notice a brightness difference between 8x30 and 8x42, because of eye dilation/constriction. So when testing, compare brightness in a dim situation.) FWWI, I find the Monarch 8x30 perfectly fine for viewing during the day, even in the woods.
  • Field of view: Compare the specs. It's a lot easier to find that bird in the tree when you have a larger field of view.
  • Spherical aberration: When the center is in sharp focus, how much of the rest of the field of view is in focus? I find it annoying when binos have a lot of spherical aberration.)
  • Chromatic aberration: When you look at, say, a thin tree branch against a bright sky, are you seeing green to one side of the branch and magenta to the other side? If so, how much? And is it just near the edges of the field of view, or also in the center?

My wife and I want to buy new binoculars, budget about £300 each. They are for general birdwatching. Would like some which are not too heavy. I keep hearing that 8x42 are the best for general bird watching. I am thinking of Nikon Monarch, a little over budget I know. Any suggestions for others I should look for.

I want to try before I buy so which is the best shop for binoculars that has a good range, I live in the oxford area.
I recommend you try out the binoculars at a shop with viewing facilities (not the high street) or at a field day. In Focus has shops and does field days all over the country, including Farmoor reserve in Oxford - although I couldn't see any dates for there any time soon. It's well worth travelling to try the binoculars in the field if you can. Check out In Focus' website. There is no best for general bird watching - it's what works best for you. 8x42 is a popular binocular size, for good reasons, but so is 10x42 for equally good reasons. I recommend you try both 8x42 and 10x42 and see what works for you. I prefer the extra magnification from a 10x42, but it's what you prefer that matters. If size and weight matter a lot don't rule out 8x32 or 10x32. Opticron is another value for money brand worth looking at in your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back