• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which head (1 Viewer)

Neil-T

Moorlands Macro: Close up and personal....with bug
I have been looking at getting a Gimbal head for my Nikon D300 and Sigma 500mmf/4.5. The ones I have been considering are the.

Benro GH-1 and the Induro GHB1 which I think are the same head. The cheapest I can find them with the plate included is £171 (ebay)

I am also looking at the Jobu Junior MK2 which I think will be the better option.

Where is the best place to get a Jobu Junior MK2 from? Most of the ones I can find are in Canada.

Thanks. Neil.

Neil, The jobu heads are very good. I had a junior which I used with my 400/5.6 but upgraded to the Black Widow Gimbal Head - Heavy Duty Mk2 for my 300/2.8 - both are cracking heads.

Although the Jobu Jr would take the weight of the Sigma 500/4.5 I suspect you would get better stability with a BWG.

Thanks for the quick reply guys, I am trying to keep the weight down so was thinking of a side mounting version rather than the full monty. I have even contemplated getting the 393. Neil.

Thanks for the quick reply guys, I am trying to keep the weight down so was thinking of a side mounting version rather than the full monty. I have even contemplated getting the 393. Neil.
Hi Neil, just to clarify the Jobu heads, the BWG-LD is a side mounting version whereas the BWG-HD is a full gimbal which can be converted to a side mounting by removing the horizontal mount - the heads themselves are identical. Even the Jobu Jr has a horizontal mount as an optional extra.
For lighter lenses like 400/5.6, 100-400 and 50-500 I found the side mounting is best as there is not enough weight to drive a full Gimbal. But for heavier lenses (I have 300/2.8) I find it considerably easier to set-up on a full Gimbal. Trying to mount an heavy lens on a side mount you have to hold the lens one handed while you do up the lens plate - not impossible but I find it cumbersome. Having side that there are plenty of people who side mount even a 500/4.
Just a few thoughts.

That's good to know Roy, I think I will get the BWG-HD first and see how I get on with it (the Sigma 500 being lighter than the canon or nikon 500), then if I need to upgrade I just to need to buy the extra plate. Thanks for your valued input. Neil.

That's good to know Roy, I think I will get the BWG-HD first and see how I get on with it (the Sigma 500 being lighter than the canon or nikon 500), then if I need to upgrade I just to need to buy the extra plate. Thanks for your valued input. Neil.
Hi Neil, I think you have got that wrong - you need to get the LD first and then get the extra mount if you need it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back