• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Spring migrants have you seen? (1 Viewer)

Icterine Warbler last Sunday...I said this species would probably be my last migrant of the spring but I had forgot Eleonora's Falcons which are usually easier to observe in Corsica from early June ;)

25 April - first Blackcap of the year on my patch - not my first of the year though in a local sense
26 April - first local Whitethroat for me
27 April - first Grasshopper Warbler for me and on my patch
28 April - first patch Ring Ouzel of the year - 2-3 weeks late - they are annual passage migrants
30 April - first Swifts over a local sewage works
5 May - first patch Sedge Warbler of the year but not always annual

Great fun looking up all the birds I know nothing about (being in USA)!
Interesting, ain't it? I do that, too. Try out those ones in bold--should be new for you.

From the very end of April, through all of May up until yesterday:
Common Nightingale, Common House Martin, Common Redstart, Wood Warbler, Common Whitethroat, Eurasian Wryneck, European Stonechat*, Common Grasshopper Warbler, Whinchat, Common Cuckoo, Common Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Common Snipe*, Common Swift, Great Reed Warbler, Thrush Nightingale, Red-backed Shrike, Western Yellow Wagtail, Corncrake, Eurasian Golden Oriole, Marsh Warbler, Black Tern, Little Tern, Sand Martin

*don't overwinter here

EDIT: Except I've discovered you have Black Tern in the US.

EDIT 2: And I forgot my almost untickable Tawny Pipit, which was the reason I waited for so long to post the list here.

Last edited:
Interesting, ain't it? I do that, too. Try out those ones in bold--should be new for you.

From the very end of April, through all of May up until yesterday:
Common Nightingale, Common House Martin, Common Redstart, Wood Warbler, Common Whitethroat, Eurasian Wryneck, European Stonechat*, Common Grasshopper Warbler, Whinchat, Common Cuckoo, Common Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Common Snipe*, Common Swift, Great Reed Warbler, Thrush Nightingale, Red-backed Shrike, Western Yellow Wagtail, Corncrake, Eurasian Golden Oriole, Marsh Warbler, Black Tern, Little Tern, Sand Martin

*don't overwinter here

EDIT: Except I've discovered you have Black Tern in the US.

EDIT 2: And I forgot my almost untickable Tawny Pipit, which was the reason I waited for so long to post the list here.
Or, as they are more correctly known:

Nightingale, House Martin, Redstart, Wood Warbler, Whitethroat, Wryneck, Stonechat*, Grasshopper Warbler, Whinchat, Cuckoo, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Snipe*, Swift, Great Reed Warbler, Thrush Nightingale, Red-backed Shrike, Western Yellow Wagtail, Corncrake, Golden Oriole, Marsh Warbler, Black Tern, Little Tern, Sand Martin.

Not only considerably shorter but what they were named. There is no reason in grammar, reason or history why the original of an assortment of similar animals cannot bear just the original name, hence House Martin, Asian House Martin or Stonechat, Caspian Stonechat, Siberian Stonechat etc. There's not even a reason why humans can't understand such practice.

John

I did it for the sake of them being more easily searchable in Merlin in case anyone wished to look them up.

Or, as they are more correctly known:
Otherwise, that's what I did with all my other posts here in the thread. In contrast, the above in particular was partly copied from the green-listing thread's spreadsheet, in which I used full names.

(EDIT: I also won't deny this made the list appear longer... 🤫)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back