• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why can't Swarovski get a little thing right? NL Objective cover issues. (1 Viewer)

It was a joke, I watch some of his videos for a laugh, nothing more. Nothing like getting the glass to my eyes to make any determination of suitability.

How many faulty assertions must be debunked before the thread becomes more about not being wrong than the topic?
The topic was faulty NL objective covers. My assertion about all professional reviewers getting perks or free binos has been debunked. I was wrong. I am sorry if I offended anyone.

The topic was faulty NL objective covers. My assertion about all professional reviewers getting perks or free binos has been debunked. I was wrong. I am sorry if I offended anyone.
I had deleted my post some hours ago hoping to beat anyone preserving it with a response. Mine was unnecessary. Peace.

You didn't. You only spoke out loud what a lot of people assume happens. Nothing wrong with that and you are quite right about the covers. They suck.

Jan

The "last group" listed above are the ones, Ive come to trust. Are there others?
I think there are many others, starting with reviewers on other sites like Roger Vine or Tobias Mennle, and going on to include dozens more here who've shared experiences with at least one binocular in enough detail to be helpful and informative. One's own taste may not always coincide with theirs, but even so one can get a good sense of what one would like (or not) about a particular model.

An obvious thing that may still have to be said about reviews that may seem suspiciously positive is that at the upper-middle to high level of quality most of us here are interested in, there simply are no fatal flaws to conceal, no awful binoculars to expose. Some reviews are obviously rather superficial, but the worst thing they could possibly say about such a model is that it doesn't stand out among the competition as exceptional in some way. They're all very good and eminently usable, while at the same time never quite perfect, so there are only relatively minor complaints to make, which readers will decide how to weigh by their own criteria.

There's so much cynicism today about fake news, dishonest reviews and so on; let's not give up entirely. There are plenty of honest people, good information can still be offered and found if one takes the trouble, and forums like BF or CN are good sources.

Last edited:
I wonder how many happy Swarovski users are out in the field who never complain, compared to these complaints?

I have had my NL Pure 8X42 for 5 weeks and I am still in love with them. I have had none of the problems people complain about.

I don't believe Swarovski could ask these prices and be in business for 70 years if people did not love their products...

Didn't I read that they have something like 80% of the Alpha market, Zeiss 12% and Leica the remaining 8%?

Not sure where that leaves Nikon.

Maybe I mis-remember.

Back in March I posted a rather long winded thing re Total Quality Management, as a rebuttal to an accumulating myth, (Seldom Perched was merely quoting someone else there/then - sorry Tom), that Swaros prices were inflated do to carrying the costs of their liberal customer service policies. It was here: https://www.birdforum.net/threads/swarovski-el-w-b-8x32-flare.405739/#post-4156518, specifically #9. Relative to this dialogue, I can save you the pain of the whole with this excerpted paragraph.

"External failures occur when something slips through the system. Blatant failures, like missing, or misaligned parts, cosmetic flaws are mostly, (but not always), caught by the above. The stuff of less than optimum design, process, or materials that're effected by time, wear and tear, tend to show up once the product is in the hands of the end user. External failures are hugely costly for multiple reasons. First, all the material, labor and systems costs are attached to the shipped good. if the product fails and needs to be replaced, that new product now costs at least 2x the price of the first item. If the item is repairable, return,
analysis, dis-assembly, repair, re-assembly, and return costs are incurred. This is very expensive. As is obvious here at Birdforum, humans like to complain. There is a tendency to complain among friends, acquaintances and ahem... forums. Stuff that works tends more often to just be used. The cost of external failure is both the direct cost of replacement or repair and the cost to reputation and even future sales!"

GTom
HI Tom, nothing to be sorry for!

Tom

The objective covers of the NL Pure 8x32 are easier to open & close.
I don't think opening and closing the objective covers has been a problem with the 42Nl, although some owners complain about that with the ocular covers. The big problem with the objective covers of the 42Nl has been how fragile their attachment has been and how often it tears away. Perhaps, the objective cover attachments on the 32Nls are beefier and they will hold up better. Only time will tell.

I don't think opening and closing the objective covers has been a problem with the 42Nl, although some owners complain about that with the ocular covers
I'm one of these owners so it has been a problem. You can also read messages #4, #11, #16, #19, #20 in this thread.

Why do we need objective covers? I do not.
Gijs van Ginkel
Why does Swarovski attempt to make objective covers, if some people don't need them or at least want them? (They also make caps to cover the attachment wire for people, like you, who don't.) Personally, most of the time, I don't need objective covers. However, I would like to have the option of using them, say on a windy day, when I am carrying but not able to use my binoculars because of blowing sand or other debris.

Why the simple press on objective covers went out of style is beyond me. The last thing I want is something flopping around the end of my bin. I only use the press on type and have never lost a single one. KISS.
You certainly have that option with the NL. In fact, one Swarovski service representative told me that after his caps tore off, he put the blanks in place over the attachment wire and keeps the objective covers without their attachments in his pocket for the occasions when he wants to use them.

Last edited:
The "last group" listed above are the ones, I've come to trust. Are there others?

Optica Exotica?
Optica Exotica always talks alot but doesnt say much. I feel his conslusion is always the same, its a great optic and just as good as all the others.
It was a joke, I watch some of his videos for a laugh, nothing more. Nothing like getting the glass to my eyes to make any determination of suitability.

Optics exotica got few thousand views and he became cocky . He calls himself a professional optics expert and photographer. He says he advises people around the world regarding which binocular to buy.
I bet, nobody but his mama told him he was so special. 🤣🤣

He is now offering paid “MASTER” course that you can buy to learn from him! 🤣🤣

Attachments

• FE14485A-90E3-4BC9-9C0D-0A4BA33554F3.png
    FE14485A-90E3-4BC9-9C0D-0A4BA33554F3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 18885A9B-E306-40B7-BA3A-2567820C5A64.png
    18885A9B-E306-40B7-BA3A-2567820C5A64.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
You certainly have that option with the NL. In fact, one Swarovski service representative told me that after his caps tore off, he put the blanks in place over the attachment wire and keeps the objective covers in his pocket for the occasions when he wants to use them.
This is what I am doing with my NLs. I have a spare pair of covers that I keep in the box with the other do dads I never use. I trimmed off the "strap" portion of one pair of covers. I press them on when the binos go back in the case after use. They work great this way. I don't like hanging objective covers either. They get in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back