• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wings Over Winecountry, Colleen's place (1 Viewer)

Thanks Ken,o:)
I was going to blog the Birds in Art 2009 show for the group here, but couldn't get BF to let me log on so will try to give you a condensed version here.

Thursday we arrived at 7pm after starting out at 4:30 am. Toured the bar one round to look for Wes Hyde, a 3 times attendee and one of this years poster selections. Gave him a big hug ( he was a main factor in me entering, but that's another story) and went to bed.

Friday 8am, sitting the the lobby and I saw LJ walk right in the door with his scope and tripod, he'd already been out sketching, I would have fainted but was already sitting down. He said HI to my sister, who came with me to the show.

10am we got on the bus to go to an event, lunch at the country club and then a private viewing LJ said hello to ME! I couldn't even talk, just nodded my head.
12pm, at lunch one of the "old timers" Mary who'd been to the show many times, and knew I was star struck, hauled me over to introduce LJ to me, saying here is a big fan of your Lars. OMG he stood up and I came to just above his belt level. Mary told me to take my book so I could get an autograph, don't even remember what I said but it wasn't anything brilliant for sure, he touched my shoulder and I didn't shower that night to make sure it didn't wash off, I wondered if it might improve my drawing somehow. I was just glowing and everyone was having a good laugh at my groupie state. Couldn't help it just sat down and became an idiot...." I just talked to LJ" I blathered.

See the theme here? My sister wrote far more sensible descriptions of the time, which I will post on another message. After a grueling day( for me) of the private show, the opening with major gala guests, and a fab dinner with all of them with two artists per table and all the guests around. I went home and completly crashed, I did not pass the bar, but the more sturdy types did go in after, I also had the great privilege of talking to John Busby that day, a truly wonderful and gentle man, and thanking him for the doing the Drawing Birds book which has given me so much guidance, he signed my book and I signed his

Sunday was the opening for the public, my feet were taking a beating by then, and local art lovers came and asked for my autograph and told me about their turkey experiences. Turns out some toms can be agressive if raised around people and one dairy farmer used to intimidate hers, with a leaf rake, the kind with a big spread out rake, eventually she ate him as he couldn't be trusted with kids visiting. I rode on the bus with LJ and his wife, still trying not not stare at him too much, my gosh he's really big and tall and his hands are huge, his wife is a perfect nordic match for him, and they make a lovely couple.

Sunday John Busby gave a great talk on the "Subtleties of Sketching" which will be a DVD from the Woodson if you want to see it. So inspiring and full of humor, and he gently chided and encouraged the US artists to do more field sketching as so many here work only from photos. His show of work was a joy to see, I love the gannets most I think.

Finally Sunday afternoon they put us all on 2 buses and took us up north to a beautiful lake and the summer home of the family, gave us free run, free drinks, a really good BBQ and all afternoon to hang out with each other, go boating( I took out a kayak and managed not to drown) and out to bird watch some bald eagles who nest there. Some played croquet, some tennis, some fished, what ever you wanted was offered so graciously, and miracle of miracles, it was perfect weather, which apparently seldom happens. the highlight of the day and maybe of the whole time, was I chanced to walk by as LJ, and Barry Van Dusen were looking over LJ's sketchbook work since he came to the US this trip, by now being a bit more used to his presence, I asked if I could join them and look, though it took some guts to do this, I'm so glad I managed it, as what followed will stay with me for a long time.

First I got to touch the actual paper he uses and see how the book is bound, it's quite wonderful paper pretty stiff probably like a good, sized, 90# paper, then I got to see all the sketches he worked up of some Am Eiders, and I forget the smaller one, and listen to he and Barry talk about the birds and what they discovered, the final was a 2 page wc LJ had just finished, of the lake, so I could see what the actual scene was and how he translated it. Barry and I talked over some of the subtleties of his line and his watercolor techniques, and I feel I really learned by seeing the book. Then Barry shared his latest sketchbook from a trip he took to Israel, for AFN. Barry's work is very precise lines and very different than LJ, but his lines are so descriptive nonetheless. About this time John Busby came over and the three of them were talking about the sketchbooks and some of the AFN trips they'd been on..

It was just a dream to be there and hear all that, I asked permission to have my sister take an unobtrusive picture of them and me, cause I knew without it I would just think I dreamed it. I will post this right on my easel and have it for inspiration. Just to remind me, no matter what happens, one time my work was actually hanging in the same show as LJ, John Busby, John Seery-Lester, Robert Bateman, Carl Brenders, Chris Bacon, Guy Coheleach, Daniel Smith, Maynard Reece and my favorite pastel artist Dino Paravano, (tho in this show he had a wonderful oil) and other world class artists from around the world.

The way the artists are treated at this show is just beyond words, every little detail attended to by the staff and we are so welcomed and honored, there is not another show anywhere that treats the artists like they do for this one according to all I spoke to who for sure know, as they are the ones invited to all of the big wildlife shows around. So I am back with stars in my eyes, and inspiration bubbling over. To be really truthful, tho my work was fine, and held it's own, when I looked at the very best work, some known artists, and some first timers like me, I can see I have a long way to go yet and so I'm going to get right to work.

No way I could ever describe how fantastic the whole thing was. This is the first real show I've ever entered ( tho I did have a work in the Pastel Journal top 100 2 years ago, they don't have a show) So I guess I started with the best, and this year being the one that honored Busby drew some amazing people to come in person.....Sometimes the blessings in life come so big it's hard to hold it all, and gratitude is just too small a word for what I feel.

Pics,
group shot, I'm standing behind John Busby seated at far left,
Hazelhurst where we gathered at the last day
All the Masters present at the show
incl Chris Bacon, John Busby and Lars Jonsson
Entrance to Woodson Art Museum, one of the Masters walking by
with turkey sculpture at the right, did I tell you turkeys are my favorite bird?:-O( that's the bird I did for the show)
An experience of a lifetime for sure!

Attachments

• BIA-group-1-0368.gif
    BIA-group-1-0368.gif
    105 KB · Views: 59
  • Hazelhurst-grounds-sm.gif
    Hazelhurst-grounds-sm.gif
    142.2 KB · Views: 54
  • all-the-masters-sm.gif
    all-the-masters-sm.gif
    88.2 KB · Views: 61
  • woodson-museum-main-entrance-sm.gif
    woodson-museum-main-entrance-sm.gif
    97.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Wow! At the show I went to on Sunday the artists didn't even get a coffee in a styrofoam cup! You obviously had a great time.

Mike

what an occasion - you're not the only one who's turned to blathering jelly in Lars's presence - and yes, those hands are enormous! Glad you had a fantastic time, it sounds like it was truly wonderful.

Thanks for the fabulous recounting of the show and opening! What a collection of artists. No wonder everyone had such a good time.

With any luck, that is barring bad weather, I hope to see show in about a week. We'll be at Horicon Marsh, where I hope to get a good amount of sketching done, for a few days. That's about 3 hours from Wassau. So unless the weather is just not conducive to driving we'll skip one day of birding to get up and see the show. I sure rather see it on opening night but this should still be enjoyable!

thanks you all for the comments, what I wrote doesn't cover half of it. Ken if you can get there at all don't miss it. A whole room full of Busby's work and some really amazing paintings. Many people commented that this year is the highest quality of art they remember, and many I talked to have seen the show every year for 30 years. Downstairs next to mine is one from a Japanese artist that is astounding, I kept looking and couldn't figure out how he'd done it.

Believe me the attachment doesn't do it justice, it's very large and even up close you can't figure out the media and how he painted it. What ever it is other artists from Japan used similar techniques, except for one woman who did hers with a sort of woodburning, but not exactly on wood.....well you just have to go see, cause the catalog does not do the work justice as nice as it is.
here is a link where you can see some of the works, http://www.lywam.org/exhibitions/

Also don't miss the Chris Bacon upstairs, I never really saw it right, until he explained it, a hint is there is more than one bird, but only the feet of the others show. You will have to stop and really spend time with it to get what is there, it is very subtle, like much of his work. It took him 3 years to paint it. One of the great moments at Hazelhurt was when he sat with us and talked about how he did that work which started out as a daylight scene on a beach with complex shadows and textures and objects and now it's deep moonlight with very mysterious lights and colors. It says something about his art to imagine he'd stay with a work for 3 years and let it keep morphing so far beyond the original idea doesn't it?

There is a catalog available from the show at the website.http://www.lywam.org/information/index.cfm?room=publications

Attachments

• ACF3A9.jpg
    ACF3A9.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Ooh, I'm feeling all starstruck for you now! I'd be the same (at the very least, I'd be hitting that bar early on before attempting to talk to any of them!). Great account of the weekend. I'd love to see it for myself, but Wausau's a bit too far for me (and unfortunately the exhibit doesn't make it this far north).

Still impatiently waiting on my my catalogue (they told me they were mailing them out two weeks ago, but not arrived yet, foo!). Now you've got me intrigued about Bacon's entry -- BIA is one of the few opportunities I get to see new Bacon paintings. Looking forward to all of that Busby work too, drool, drool.

Julie is a real live wire, on the bus the first night after being on our feet for so long, she climbed up the steps with a song with a line from a country song
" these cowboy boots are killing my feet etc. She has a fab voice, I asked her the next day, she said she and her husband have had a rock band for 15 years. She also had a show concurrent with BIA " A Naturalist's Journal" with her work and stories based on her book. She is full of tales, like raising 3 hummingbird babies ( have to feed every 20 min).... and her watercolors and more so the stories with them are wonderful. She is one of the essayists on NPR

the catalog is beautiful, and Busbys work is just spot on, my own on the other hand came out too brown and minus some greens. A lot of the work is better in person, including Bacon's cause it needs the size, but still the catalog is very very nice, and beautifully presented.

Last edited:
Hmm, my response seems to have disappeared into the ether. But no matter. I just wanted to say that you've convinced us to give up a day of birding at Horicon to see the show. The 'whole room full of Busby's' was the thing that did it! These will be the first works of his I've seen in the flesh. I can't wait to see the show!! On rereading your account for the third or fourth time it does strike me that this must have been a once in a lifetime sort of experience! What an opportunity to watch over the shoulders of LJ, Barry Van Dusen, et al.

Last time we were in Wisconsin some Sandhill Cranes landed in front of the car so maybe we'll have some birding adventures of that sort to liven up the drive.

I still haven't gotten my catalog yet either, Jomo. Hopefully today.......

Ken, you won't be sorry, take a stroll around the sculpture gardens too, consider it a pilgrimage to the feet of a Master :) and yes once in a lifetime, I just happened to be walking by and no one else was around.

Yesterday I had to go be with the birds, after more than a week without my trips I was starved. It turned out to be a perfect weather day, after a freak day of rain the day before. What a joy to be by the sea and the cormorants, but most of the time I was on the bay watching the massive flock of godwits sprinkled with a few willets, out on the sandspit with the pelicans, gulls and a few other things.

I was doing my usual small sketches when some of the Busby talk came to me. From here on you get what I think he said, if you want what he really said, get the DVD from the Woodson mentioned before. What I got was,
"make marks that represent the energies of what you see, suggesting the happenings and movements. You can stand and just look down at your feet and record with these marks all that you see. The little stones, the track of the crabs, and foot prints. Keep adding it to your drawing."

He had a Ruskin quote, to the effect of suggesting what comes both before and after the moment you are drawing. Below find a page from a book I got at the Museum "Land Marks and Sea Wings" He said tho known for his birds landscape has always been the focus of his art. His look like large abstracts, tho all the forms are shapes accruately recorded from what he sees, many are looking down from above.

So while sitting there sketching in my usual small book I was undergoing a revolution inside. I got a larger book, no more dinky drawings for a while, and just made marks that represented what I saw, no longer concerned with making a "nice" drawing. Another inner eruption of the creative volcano, and I got out my watercolors and started doing the same with the brush recording the landscape.

I remembered as a child, no one "taught" me to paint, they just gave me pots of lovely colors and a nice big brush and pointed me toward the easel hung with nice clean paper and off I went. I didn't paint pictures I just slopped on color til I found out what would happen eventually I got the hang of it and started using it to represent objects and ideas.

So in the same spirit I'm setting myself one of my now famous 100 challenges.
100 watercolors in 30 days. Most all will be done onsite, but a few may be from memory. I will allow a max of 15 min per. this is to keep me from trying to make a picture. I will use the idea from John of simply responding and recording the energy of the things in front of me. I set a tight deadline so I won't fuss or linger. Hopefully at the end of this time I'll be over my fear of watercolor and will be able to paint with more ease. I'll post at least one daily along with what I've learned.

I'd very much welcome comments and feed back from any of my friends here.

Yesterday I did 7 here are a couple and the things I learned
• to get my paints wet before starting, a big mop brush loaded with water drug along the whole line, flooding the pans, then knocking the brush dry, pulling out the excess in each pan, gets the paints evenly moist and ready

• with the same brush dampen the whole sheet of paper and let it dry a bit, makes the painting easier to work. you will still be able to dry brush for texture

• don't mix up your acrylic and watercolor paints. For two weeks I've been dabbing my brush in a pan of blue in my paintbox, hoping to get some ultramarine to mix, but the color never changed. Yesterday I investigated and found I'd put in acrylic, which had completely dried looking for all the world like nice fresh paint. After prying out the lump I put in the real thing, which works much better:-O

BTW I mentioned the paper in LJ's book I think it might have been more like 140 # as I used that yesterday and it seems more like what I felt.

pics.
John Busby 9x14 "Birds on the Lagoon Shore" see all the little things he put in hermit crabs and their tracks, tips of mangrove roots etc.
John Busby landscape :Orkney landscape 26x38 1980 oil this is for you Tim:t:

the rest are my first new attempts from Bodega Bay and Head. although the cormorant piece appalled me when I did it, today it's not so bad.

Attachments

• busby-aladabra-lagoon-9702.gif
    busby-aladabra-lagoon-9702.gif
    281.2 KB · Views: 58
  • busby-orkney-oil.gif
    busby-orkney-oil.gif
    191.1 KB · Views: 60
  • bodega-head-corm-wc-9-15.gif
    bodega-head-corm-wc-9-15.gif
    274.8 KB · Views: 63
  • bodgea-sand-spit-godwits-herons-gulls.gif
    bodgea-sand-spit-godwits-herons-gulls.gif
    113.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
well Colleen, you've brought back plenty of inspiration with you, these last two are incredibly energetic and full of action and atmosphere.

Both look very good go to me Colleen! Nice and bold and energetic. From the looks of things you really will succeed in breaking free of a fear of watercolor by the time you're done. I look forward to seeing the progression.

By the way these also seem very well composed. Maybe that was exactly what you saw. Either way the composition is just great.

thanks Nick...
Ken, don't have time to compose really, and have to leave a lot out, so things are rearranged from what you might see, but you could probably tell about where I was painting.

here is 11( a mallard on the rocks sleeping) and 12, both onsite at Howath Park...second one with snowy egret is putting to work what one of the artists explained about watercolor, painting the negative spaces....the bird is unpainted
• today, found you can draw fine on wet paper with a watercolor pencil and it will melt into the paint later, so no pencil lines show...I'll be using that from now on.
went over my time limit on the second one, and it got to be too much like making a picture, something I'm trying to avoid.

88 left to go

Attachments

• wc-11-howath_9705.gif
    wc-11-howath_9705.gif
    271.8 KB · Views: 50
  • wc-12-howath-9706.gif
    wc-12-howath-9706.gif
    274.5 KB · Views: 52
I must concur with Nick - this Bodega Head painting is bristling with life and it's a very beautiful, natural composition. Fine work.
Thanks for the Orkney landscape too - John was arist in residence here in the county during the summer of 1984 (?) - ish - There are two of his original drawings sitting on a wall in a local school. I'm doing a bio of the artist for the school, cos they'd no idea who painted them.

If there were 6 of me right now I could put all 6 of us to work in different directions of things I want to do. Alas there is only one of me going 6 different ways. 3:)

One of the things I fell in love with most in Busby's work was the so called "society" drawings, ie just recording what walked or flew by in one place. I've posted one below. So I decided to try one for myself, just to get a feel for it. This is the inflow at Shollenberger park where a lot of birds gather right now as the marsh lake is seasonal and so it's way down. This spot is about 20' square and all these were here, stilt, avocets, some sort of dark brown bird ( upper right) mallards, snow egret, hopefully you can find all those, and 2 mute swans one adult the other juve, is the rock looking thing below the avocet. I also tired to record the movement of the water, the damp sand and some of the bits of stuff there. and one more bird, my first coot.

This is not a great work but it's a start, and hopefully more practice will eventually bring out something less stiff and more flowing with life which is what I love about his drawings. I did mine partly from life but had to finish the stilt and one avo from a photo.

Attachments

• Busby-society-pg-43.gif
    Busby-society-pg-43.gif
    213.2 KB · Views: 48
  • inflow-at-shollenberger.gif
    inflow-at-shollenberger.gif
    283.5 KB · Views: 47
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back