• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Withymoor - Amblecote, Stourbridge..... (14 Viewers)

I bumped into one other British birder and having established that we were both from the Midlands, him Derbyshire and me the Black Country i enquired - in the time-honoured way if there was 'much about'? To which he replied 'there's a Temmincks @ Upton Warren'! Oh to have my finger on the pulse, i thought he must have been paid to say that. You could'nt make it up;)

More like "there WAS a Temminck's at Upton Warren" :-C

El Rocio is a fantastic place, both for the film-set street scene and the lagoon. When I visited (late March 2010) there was still plenty of water in it with sightings including 80 Collared Pratincoles, a few Greylag Geese, Shelduck, Gadwall, Teal, Pintail, RC Pochard, Little Grebe, 200+ Cattle Egret, 50 Little Egret, 25 Glossy Ibis, Great White Egret, White Stork, Booted Eagle, 230 Greater Flamingo, Avocet, BW Stilt, Common Sandpiper and LRP.

Tarifa, Withymoor - Amblecote.....

That's it - another jaunt and a second visit to the most Southerly point on the Western European landmass.

A final stab Monday morning in excellent weather and viewing conditions from a high point just adjacent to the Castille walls turned out to be a good end to the trip. On a very light Westerly breeze birds failed to come overhead save for the odd individual. Instead they 'kettled' higher in the middle distance before drifting over to the African coast.

I have only estimated the birds seen from my vantage point and that could be reasonably identified on plumage and shape but i would say around 10% were not identified due to angle, light etc and i don't do 'specks' - i leave that to the experts/Spanish observers @ Cazella and Algorrobo etc. As Clint Eastwood would say, 'a man has to know his limitations'.

Booted Eagles far outweighed everything else with 600+ a minimum with many more in the distance. Short-Toed were in single figures and judging from the 'good' days for the sp i saw lots of juveniles so whether that is an indication of breeding success overall who knows? In good years you can be fortunate enuff to see a reasonable % of the World population of this large, beautiful snake eagle. A humbling statistic. Black Kites were low with about 20 noted in with them were a couple of Reds. Sparrowhawks passed thru, one had a full crop but i don't think it was a Temmincks Stint;) Half a dozen Honey Buzzards were identified and a couple of parties totalling ca20 birds were the local Griffon Vultures. I think these birds are resident and just move around, there are a couple of feeding stations in the area.

Non BOP's included a few Black Storks and at head height Yellow Wagtails, some Wheatears and parties of Red-Rumped Swallows in with the general Swallow/Hirundine passage including the odd Sand Martin. I did'nt note anything on the sea but Yellow-Legged Gulls and the odd Sandwich Tern. Numbers aside the 2 things i did'nt expect to see was a Common Bulbul singing on the wall (the young have been ringed this year) and a Monarch butterfly. It was nice to click with Western Imp one of which chased a Bootie for comparison.

If you have'nt been.....go.....particularly if you have transport as a much wider range of habitats are available to get some serious variety. My list just broke 100 with some woodland stuff back in Malaga e.g. Firecrest and Crossbill. I have to bird from the accommodation within walking distance or pushbike which limits my endeavours. The much-vaunted Brompton was left behind as RyanAirs' 20kilo price is now over 80 quid and i would'nt need the bike for half the holiday.

The bride loves Spain and Portugal and we both like Morocco. Whilst in Spain somebody, who had'nt visited Maroc, asked me if there are Nature Reserves? I replied 'thousands, every non-hotel toilet':eek!: They can be a subtle combination of biohazard, plague-pit and petrie-dish - you have been warned. I am both 'Iberia-ed' and 'Mahgreb-ed' out and a change of region/countries is in order as long as finances, time and health allow. Batumi beckons for next Autumn and a long-promised visit to Lesbos next Spring is possible. Turkey needs to be re-visited, several times, and Israel at any time is on the 'bucket list'. Politics aside i think i should visit the Holy Land before Palestine Sunbird becomes just..........Sunbird. My only travelling reservations, currently, are that i/we will not visit anywhere where you might be kidnapped, fitted out with an Orange jump-suit and sold to the highest bidder:eek!:;)

It's just not worth it, it's only birding after all.

Back to Blighty and reality. I'll leave it a coupla days or the weekend before i venture down to the Golden Puddle. I dare'nt contact TOAO Paul Allan Legge in case he has been over to see the Masked Shrike!

Laurie:t:

Below a montage. I shall spruce up the local posts with a few more exotic and quixotic images next week.

Attachments

• TarifaMontage.jpg
    TarifaMontage.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 93
"My only travelling reservations, currently, are that i/we will not visit anywhere where you might be kidnapped, fitted out with an Orange jump-suit and sold to the highest bidder"

So that rules out a trip to B&Q then !!

Or Brighton;)..........'Ooh Orange jump-suit you Sir'

Hi Gaz - 'bout time we all had another meet up. You are probably in touch with Curly-Cale when Hurricane Higgo hits the region again?

See u @ the Plough and HarrowB :)

I have'nt taken the plunge and visited WM since returning or anywhere else for that matter altho a visit to the West Hagley Fields is in order over the weekend at the latest - we both seem to have picked up a headache/sore throat type lurgy since landing and to make matters worse one of the dogs has 'kennel' cough:C

Anyway - Tarifa is due for a few days of light Levante so it should produce the goodies for those that are there. Below is a nearly 360 degree view standing on the connecting causeway where the Med meets the North Atlantic:eek!:

Attachments

• Tarifa - MedAtlantic.jpg
    Tarifa - MedAtlantic.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 85
Hi Laurie,sounds like you had a good time in Espana. Think you gonna notice a difference now you back. The odd buzzard overhead maybe. Notice you thinking of Lesvos next Spring. Having been the last 3 years I can highly recommend it. If you have a look at my humble gallery ( there are better pics than my record dipper!!!) it is pretty much split between Lesvos and Upton Warren. Any advice I can give you please PM me. Regards Dennis

Hi Dennis -

Yes - it was great. As already stated i tend to do localised birding due to transport restrictions but it means you don't spend time cooped up in vehicles and everything you find is your own and as i find virtually nothing back here that's why i like it. It inevitably means less variety and reduced numbers (103 spp recorded) but i was going for raptors and the 'buzz' of the migration.

The general consensus was that birds moved in smaller parties, much higher and largely over the Algeciras/Gibraltar area. The winds have been, unseasonably sustained, Westerlies this season. When i last visited i spent 6 days @ Tarifa which were all 'Levante', from the East. The first 3 light days yielded several thousand birds each day right over the hotel the latter half of the stay the winds were so strong that virtually no movement took place. This year i had, from where i watched, birds in the mid-upper hundreds each day (1000-1400) but previously in the lower to mid thousands - the wind and strength seems to be the deciding factor.

Another feature was the lack of passerines, yes the obvious hirundines but apart from some flickers of both spp, the odd chat/wheatear i personally did'nt see much variety? Warblers were virtually non-existant i.e i did'nt see a single Melodious, Olivaceous or SubAlpine Warbler.

Next time i shall visit one or two areas further afield. Lots of birds roost overnite in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Alcornocales_Natural_Park and here's a link to Ruppells Vulture in Andalucia which i did'nt click with.....

http://andalucianguides.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/ruppells-vulture-sightings-in-europe.html

Back to the humdrum of local birding for future posts:C

Last edited:
A couple of visits (Friday and yesterday) with PAL over in Norfolk (Permit Only) somebody has to grab the baton.

September is officially the driest since 'modern' records began (1910) and is the 5th warmest as far as England is concerned. Last nights torrential downpour will have raised levels somewhat. The edge has been very good for all sorts of feeding birds but i have'nt clocked any waders thus far but there's still time.

Green Woodpeckers move about this time of year and both an adult and a juv-type have been seen and heard. Grey Wagtail over and feeding around the inflow/outflow. A solitary Juvenile Grey Heron has taken up residence. The only Summer migrant has been a single Chiffchaff, presume juvenile on call. feeding around the edge vegetation. Friday saw a juvenile Little Grebe pop up right in front of me which was a nice surprise:eek!: Yesterday as i was leaving i thought that it had gone and out of the corner of my eye i spotted it emerging on the far side with a little fish in its' beak. They can always be very elusive diving for quite long periods and then emerging close to the edge vegetation in which they are almost invisible. To my surprise, directly in the line of sight to the Grebe, a small dark duck paddled away to join the Mallard. This is a about the time of year when Teal:eek!: disperse so it should be expected but i only record them about twice annually.

A couple of pop-ins to Mary Stevens Park produced 50-75 Black Headed Gulls and a single 1W Lesser Black Back and a calling Nuthatch.

It's bad enough returning from Spain with a stinking cold and headache in addition to tripping over the only protruding piece of rock in El Rocio:C The incident which, altho painful at the time did'nt hinder me much with the birding but a swelling has returned with a vengance as a painful reminder of the 'trip'. To make matters worse i had a dental appointment for what should have been a large filling but turned out to be another piece of me that i have had for about 57 years being tossed, with a reassuring clank, into the waste-bin. Whilst waiting for one side of my face to freeze i thumbed thru the February issue of that must-have reality-check monthly glossy..........CountryLife. I must renew my membership asap.

I'm not joking it's like looking at creatures from another planet. Aga's, Debutantes, Barbours, Springers, Labradors etc etc. The 'Just Married' section with both surnames and shotguns double-barrelled and the honeymoons in Bali, the Maldives and Kenya - do they know that poor people go there as well/ Altho probably not on Kuoni-organised safaris.

They always have articles on wildlife, a biggie this month on wait for it.....House Sparrows, their history from 'bow and arrer' much beloved of those East-End people, it's fecundity and reasons for decline if only the last bit applied to the 'Archers' set. There seems no shortage of the shiny-headed chinless wonders, Ruperts, Rodneys, Clarissas and Arabellas a-plenty. The real countryside stuff is reserved for the bashing of various species. It was the turn of the usual suspects the Goosander and Cormorant both described as 'fish-guzzlers' and how they will get their come-uppance courtesy of a three-year scheme paid for by the, us, the great unwashed into controlling their numbers. How they must wish they could implement something similiar for the working classes? In addition there were the standard letters on Birds of Prey and Buzzard control in particular.

Just do the sums - only 4 pairs of Hen Harriers were known to have bred in the English uplands this year and these only due to extensive protection measures. Two birds with transmitters have already stopped sending information. These bits of hi-tech are extremely reliable so it looks like a bit of instant lead-poisoning. These large tracts of land are estimated to be able to hold a minimum of 320 pairs of these magnificent 'Skydancers'. The only reason they don't is because it is the stronghold of driven Grouse shooting. There is an unwillingness for locals to report anything suspicious and it is difficult to Police.....'nuff said.

To really cap it all the Tories http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tory are having their annual 'scrounger-bashing' fest in Birmingham, WTF are they doing up here? I thought their spiritual home was Brighton or are memories of Maggie still too tender? Their first day has been promises to make life even more difficult for those that struggle, after all - there's no votes lost with that lot. They need reminding that more people need there wages topping up that are in work than out of it. This subsidises employers and thus makes the minimum wage the maximum wage. All this rhetoric and pontification from the 'Bullingdon' or Bully for short 'Boys once described as 2 posh boys who would'nt know the price of a pint of milk. A Billion here and a Billion there is fine but they have 'saved' an estimated 500 Billion:eek!: by raising the retirement age by 2 years! What other civilised country would have allowed that to have been made law without a period of consultation following by sessions of healthy debate and then riots on the streets?

Sorry to rant on, it did start with birds and the countryside but it's never that simple - not in my world anyway;)

Below - The New Joker and BullyBoys, Cameron/Osborne/Johnson are in there. MP's pro-rata are the most nepotistic 'profession' following by acting (there's a surprise) and of course the BBC!

Attachments

• TheNewJoker.jpg
    TheNewJoker.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 106
  • BullyBoys.jpg
    BullyBoys.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Spent a very productive hour or so down at Withymoor ystda plus the 15 mins each way walk with the dogs ca 1200-1330.

With PAL languishing in that Norfolk place (Permit Only) i have been under increasing pressure to find something to 'grip him off' and relatively speaking the Golden Puddle was a veritable Cley-next-the-Sea during my visit:eek!: I did txt him whilst i was down there and asked him to pass on my regards to that Scouse git Eddie Myers whom i have'nt seen for quite a few years and tell him that he is not the only one who birds from a Brompton.....

The juvenile Little Grebe was still present, close in and feeding actively as was the Teal which i had obviously missed the day before. Looking at the plumage i would say also this years bird. Several Grey Wagtails were pecking about the margins and at least 2 Green Woodpeckers were present 1 on the grass and one on the pool edge. Half an hour in and a brute of a Gull swooped low over the lake to reveal an adult Yellow-Legged Gull, the 2nd or 3rd for the year? I sat down with the dogs and a thin, sharp piping call announced the arrival of a Kingfisher. The bird perched close and fed actively, it had an all-Black bill and a nearly all Orange breast so a near adult male it is then. A solitary Chiffchaff calling in the scrub was the only migrant noted and a passing female-type Sparrowhawk rounded off the visit.

All this from a grotty little bit of water in the Black Country and no permit required. Mind you, i could have gone down the day before or today and not seen or heard any of these species.

Below - a montage of sightings including railway stuff on the way over this week.

Attachments

• WM---Oct-Montage.jpg
    WM---Oct-Montage.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 88
I've managed to get out and about every other day since the last post. Hav'nt had a lot of enthusiasm - the usual post-trip trauma and for a couple of other reasons.....

Firstly - the weather. The rain might bring 'falls' of birds on the Norfolk (Permit Only) coast and drive seabirds closer off the Bridges of Ross but not around here. It's just a pain.

A couple of visits only to the Golden Puddle with both Teal and Little Grebe still present, certainly when PAL visited midweek. I had a couple of hours up at the West Hagley Fields with a few Yellow Buntings calling and my first 'party' of Mipits of the Autumn ca 20 birds moving between fields accompanied by a few Skylarks. Black Headed Gulls are building in Mary Stevens Park with 200+ most days but no returning Goosander or even Tufted Duck yet. On Friday i spent 3 hours down Wyre with nothing of note, the river level, unsurprisingly was high with no exposed rocks for Dippers.....Off to Sandwell Valley and Sheepwash today - how exciting:eek!:

The winds do bring stuff in with a gobsmacking Grey Phalarope in Egbaston! Just goes to show. Shetland continues to pull in the goodies. Pic of the week, for me, has to be this of the Siberian Rubythroat.....http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/RealData/gallery_show.asp?GalleryID=28072.....What a cracker altho the edge has been taken off by the fact that the bird has been tricked into staying around for the purposes of photography by providing mealworms:C

Talking of rare stuff. I was listening to the BBC's magazine programme 'From Our Own Correspondent' or FOOC as it is affectionately known. It routinely features 4 6-minute reports from around the World. Yesterdays last item just after 22 mins in is about the Danube delta reserve in Romania its' history and establishment, past and future. The star of the report is the Slender-Billed Curlew (no it's not been sighted) - so, if you give a FOOC listen to it;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04kzz5y

Finally - the second reason for not having the enthusiasm for mooching was the death, last Saturday of a very close walking and birding companion. Walks will never quite be the same now. If you are not a 'doggie' person then you probably won't understand - i never use the word 'owner' it smacks too much of posessions and slavery. It's a relationship built up on trust and i feel it a privelige to have been part of her life.....:C

A bit more upbeat next post.

Below - Cholo 2002-2014 R.I.P.

Attachments

• Cholo.jpg
    Cholo.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Bloody Hell Pam - i thought u had emigrated!

I like to believe i am popular..........in all but South Worcestershire;)

Will clear space as soon as i have posted this!

Update - space now cleared.....

Last edited:
Bloody Hell Pam - i thought u had emigrated!

I like to believe i am popular..........in all but South Worcestershire;)

Will clear space as soon as i have posted this!

Update - space now cleared.....

I thought about emigrating but decided I would miss my walks around Brake Lane/Mill!o:D

Ta for making room!:t:

Out and about.....

A bit more activity this week as the weather has been a bit kinder. I will be bizzy, midweek for the next month so do not anticipate getting down to WM etc but have pencilled in Fridays with a mate and his car to get out somewhere with the dog.

Withymoor -

Still no Tufties and BHG's in low numbers. Little Grebe still present this week along with frequent Green Woodies and Grey Wags. GreatSpot also noted this week plus the first flock of Redwings on the railway line and elsewhere locally.

Following on from Craigs vizmigfest up @ the Beacon i spent a couple of hours with a mate/dogs etc up at Clent ystda. Unfortunately it was 11-1300 so not the most productive time of day. Conditions were suitable with moving mist and bright patches below but apart from the odd group of Redwing nothing else was noted but one has to give these things a try. I shall visit Ridge Hill over the weekend.

Mary Stevens Park -

I thought i would pop in ystda tea-time before the Gulls depart. In the back of my mind was the appearance of the Black-Necked Grebe at Fens Pools midweek, sadly departed but worth checking out. I cycled round to get the sun behind me, still no Tufties or Goosander but a good number of BHG's with several LBB's in attendance. Out of sight i heard a distinct 'wheeze' (no not Ebola-related) and from behind one of the islands appeared, as expected, a lone Wigeon:eek!: - a nice-looking male. I only got some crappy mobile shots before the battery died, the camera i usually carry was back on the kitchen table. The bird, obviously aware that i had no means of recording him proceeded to come closer to within 'bread-feeding' distance:C

A record shot below, if it is still there today i will get some more, my second record of this spp for MSP, the previous being 2 males several years ago. No big deal but it's all relative and the reason why i do the place most days.

Attachments

• Wigeon - MSP.jpg
    Wigeon - MSP.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 103
A bimble on Sunday taking in Sheepwash, nothing of note really with a lot of the stuff very flighty in the strong winds. Withymoor still has the Little Grebe and Mary Stevens Park had 200+ BHG's, a couple of Herons and 3 LBB's - a 1w/2w/and an adult. A quick visit ystda T-time and the BHG's were in excess of 300.

I will eat my British list (should'nt take too long) if i don't find either a Med or a YellowLeg down there this Winter altho i am not ruling out the possibility of an Arctic or Caspian gull.....not:C

The remnants of Gonzo should produce something.....somewhere:eek!:

And on that note does anybody know where Craig Reed is birding this weekend?;)

Daily visits to Mary Stevens Park this week merely produced varying numbers of Black Headed Gulls with an estimated 300+ the high point. The male Wigeon was a, not unexpected, 'one-dayer' and a smart Barnacle Goose was present (i have a pic somewhere). Despite this individual turning up at the same time as the Bartley Brent it took bread willingly so it will be downgraded to Defcon5.

Irritatingly i had the briefest views of an adult Gull flying with half a dozen mixed-age LBB's - the birds mantle colour was that of a GBB but the size was LBB so i can only assume that it was a Baltic-type Gull possibly the same seen elsewhere or another? I remember seeing a similiar bird a few years ago at the Blakedown Tip which has since been infilled.

A short walk with the remaining dog ystda yielded a small party of ca6 Siskins feeding on a Birch, my first around here for 2/3 years.

For cheap thrills and excitement the forums covering Rare Bird arrivals is a must at this time of year. The goodies just keep coming on Shetland and the other Northern Isles including Fair Isle (obviously) and the Orkneys. The quality, collectively, has even taken the shine off of the Azores this season and the Scillies only gets mentioned in hushed tones and polite company when the ladies are no longer present;)

Things, for whatever reason, have changed as far as rarities and visitor numbers to the magic isles and i am glad i had the time (and inclination) to throw a decade at it but what a decade..........the 80's:eek!: There has been a lot of memory tripping on the forum threads this week.

Somebody posted a mass twitch of a Black-Billed Cuckoo on St Marys and i remember arriving at that gathering and have actually managed to find myself, so to speak.

Happy Daze, below 2 pics - the gathering and then a blown-up crop with me and 'Mungo Jerry'-type facial hair in the middle in Oct 1985!

Attachments

• ScilliesBBCuckooOct85.jpg
    ScilliesBBCuckooOct85.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 104
  • Scillies85 - BBCuckoo.jpg
    Scillies85 - BBCuckoo.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 369
Hi Laurie, I was down MSP yesterday and had 3 grey wags. They flew up from by the sluice end into the overhanging trees then as me and my faithful hound walked round they then flew backdown by the sluice. On your point about siskins I live alongside the Stourbridge arm of the cut and have had a flock on my feeders for more winters than I can remember. Last year they peaked at 23. However none so far and have to make do with regular goldies. Regards Dennis

Black Redstart

Well that was a shock. Stepped out my door at 1pm today and a stunning Black Redstart flew passed and landed on the wall over the road. Stayed for about a minute then flew over Cemetry Rd toward Lye FC.
...and breath

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back