• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Thrush or Hermit Thrush ??? in New Jersey (1 Viewer)

blackrose

United States
A picture that I posted here and on a local board (that I think is my local Wood Thrush), was called out on the local board as a Hermit Thrush...
The pic is in the gallery here (and I don't want to post any wrong names), but I wanted to post the short video clip here, to see if I could get some sort of confirmation and see what everyone thinks.

PS: I'd be happier if it were a Hermit Thrush, as I don't have a confirmed sighting of one yet,
but I'm pretty sure this is the same bird that's been in my yard all summer.
Gotta be a way to confirm it somehow... the video is not that bad is it?

A picture that I posted here and on a local board (that I think is my local Wood Thrush), was called out on the local board as a Hermit Thrush...
The pic is in the gallery here (and I don't want to post any wrong names), but I wanted to post the short video clip here, to see if I could get some sort of confirmation and see what everyone thinks.

PS: I'd be happier if it were a Hermit Thrush, as I don't have a confirmed sighting of one yet,
but I'm pretty sure this is the same bird that's been in my yard all summer.
Gotta be a way to confirm it somehow... the video is not that bad is it?
Quite clearly red tail = hermit thrush

Yes, Hermit Thrush with its reddish tail. Also, look at how the Hermit flicks its tail up quickly and then down slowly.

Most definitely a Hermit. It could very well have been in your yard all summer, though that might be less likely depending on which part of New Jersey you're in. Do you have any photos of your summer thrush?

Most definitely a Hermit. It could very well have been in your yard all summer, though that might be less likely depending on which part of New Jersey you're in. Do you have any photos of your summer thrush?
Yes plenty...

The bird here in question visually was a match...so how does everyone know?
  • The coloring is all washed out in the pic (it had plenty side/belly spots) and any "red" on the bird was higher on the shoulders and head (not the tail)
  • Don't know Hermits, but from pics they show those belly spots mostly around throat and not dominating the lower area by the legs like this one
I'm just trying to learn how to properly identify any real visual difference between the birds (or even one without "color" involved). Don't mind being wrong as I'm just a beginner,
So how does everyone know for sure???
Is the only thing that could provide confirmation the voice/call or is there some way better ?

probably just me having a hard time confirming a new one off the list ...LOL
but thanks everyone for putting up with me.

On a wood thrush, the breast spots are larger, darker, more overlapping, and extend farther down the flanks. The top of the head is rather reddish, and the back is a bit reddish too, while the tail is a much plainer brown than the head -- the opposite pattern from a Hermit.
I only needed a few seconds of your summer video. The light wasn't great for recognizing head color, but the spots on the flanks were enough for an ID.
In your fall video, the breast was too overexposed to be easily used for ID, but you've got a fantastic shot of a reddish tail.

On a wood thrush, the breast spots are larger, darker, more overlapping, and extend farther down the flanks. The top of the head is rather reddish, and the back is a bit reddish too, while the tail is a much plainer brown than the head -- the opposite pattern from a Hermit.
I only needed a few seconds of your summer video. The light wasn't great for recognizing head color, but the spots on the flanks were enough for an ID.
In your fall video, the breast was too overexposed to be easily used for ID, but you've got a fantastic shot of a reddish tail.
Thank you and everyone else for the info, the local forum indicates some Hermit Thrushes are arriving so I guess I have something new to shoot for LOL. Going to have to go out back and see...
:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back