• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (3 Viewers)

Another young birder here, Year 8 I think the English education system is too confusing compared to Scotland's (in my opinion anyway). Anyway started bird watching on a whim about 4 days ago and have seen about 25-30 species by just looking out my window. Intend to go to Loch Garten, Glen Tanar and Fowlsheugh soon anyway.

Another young birder here, Year 8 I think the English education system is too confusing compared to Scotland's (in my opinion anyway). Anyway started bird watching on a whim about 4 days ago and have seen about 25-30 species by just looking out my window. Intend to go to Loch Garten, Glen Tanar and Fowlsheugh soon anyway.

Welcome to the Young Birder thread and indeed welcome to birding! Its a great hobby/sport/game/competition...whatever it is its great! You live in a pretty good area for birding. I visited for the first time just under a year ago, spending a few days in the Highlands followed by some coastal grilling at Peterburgh.
I would really reccomend Loch Garten which is a brilliant place for Ospreys, especially at this time of year when they should be feeding young. Also in this area are decent places for Golden Eagle (Findhorn Valley), Capercaillie (Abernethy Forest/Loch Garten in particular) and loads of other specialities. Closer to you is Blackdog (just north of Aberdeen) - a good place for seawatching in the summer and autumn. Also Rattray Head is excellent for seawatching and for scarce migrants.
The Birds Fae Torry thread is regularly updated by birders living in Aberdeen, so you might want to join this thread and get acquainted with some people on it...
Anyway, above all, enjoy birding!
Sim

P.S.- Sorry just remembered you're completely new to birding and probably wont know half the terms I just used! You'll get used to them! The address for the Birds Fae Torry thread is http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=97045&page=38&highlight=Birds+Fae+Torry

Last edited:
Yes, good one Sim!;) Well if it actually stuck then maybe I could be bothered! Maybe tomorrow or then again maybe not:smoke:

Sim, Have you seen the BWP yet? Not even that can get you of your backside:-O

I walked into that one...but isn't Oriental rarer than Black-Winged anyway? (actually I have no idea, but oriental sounds like it should be rarer!).
Anyway, yes, it is about to get me off my backside - I may well be going for it tomorrow...so 8-P

although I have only been birding since January this year. my year/ life list is on a frankly c**p 111.

well join the club mate on 112:-C half of all you are younger then me and have got bigger lifelists and yearlists:C(gits;)) i am in the birding blues at the mo failed on nightjar tonight(maybe it was too cold...)but heard them churring so why wernt they flying!? im wondering if i am just awful.............

failed on nightjar tonight(maybe it was too cold...)but heard them churring so why wernt they flying!? im wondering if i am just awful.............

Because they didn't really feel like flying? No-one really knows the answer, and it can be very annoying. Its often just luck of the draw, just keep perseveering and you'll end up with good results, but never give up.

Because they didn't really feel like flying? No-one really knows the answer, and it can be very annoying. Its often just luck of the draw, just keep perseveering and you'll end up with good results, but never give up.

aarghh yea they are very frustrating:C but i will keep trying,Sim just tell me im not rubbish;)

Well I could, but I don't know you ;) I'm sure you're a pretty capable lad, and obviously increasing in experience and knowledge :t:
Anyone else want me to tell them that they're not rubbish? Its going free...

Went to the New Forest today, it was great. Got Honey Buzzard, Tree Pipit, Crossbill, Goshawk, Redstart (including 1 or 2 families), Wood Warbler, Firecrest, Raven, Peregrine etc. Also Nightingale and Marsh Tit at Pulborough Brooks.

Year list 196! Only 1 behind my 2008 finishing total! Just pulled ahead of Josh again.

Plans for this month are Rye and Dungeness for Roseate, Black and Little Terns, a long weekend in Norfolk perhaps for Montagu's Harrier, Golden Oriole and Stone Curlew + whatever else and a night out looking for Nightjars.

I've given moth trapping a go(after my several miserable failings in attempts at making moth traps its more like collecting random moths in the hall as I find them) and it hasn't gone well at all. Haven't managed to ID any of them yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back