• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

Hey Skylark and welcome to Birdform o:D

Sounds like you've been getting some great birds recently, some of my favourite species amongst them, lucky u ;) We have got a few other young birders from Malta on here at the moment (Adin 92, Ausmar and Maltese Falcon) so I'm sure you will fit in to this forum like the rest of us :t:

Hi Jimmy,

Read your paragraphs and it sounds quite good to me. A good place to see them is a site in Dunkeld, so good when I was there on my brief visit I didn't see any ;)

I would say that I cannot possibly argue with good field notes and observation and wouldn't just go off pictures. I am however still of the understanding that it is nearly impossible to tell Common from Scottish, so much so that I heard it might loose it status. Though I certainly hope not!

Uni is going on thanks, its freshers week and I start proper study on Monday. I am not going to Durham Uni, I am going to Sunderland to study Business Computing:t:

Bad luck! Crossbills are'nt easy birds to catch up with I find. I think the rarities committees are tending to expect photographic evidence for most submissions now, because everybody seems to own a camera. Though Scottish Crossbill doesn't need submitting to the commitees... I had a bit of a look around at a few articles on crossbills in preparation for going to Scotland, and it seemed to me that if any lumping was going to happen it was between Scottish and Parrot, but I suppose I could have got the wrong impression.

Glad uni's going well. Pity you're not at Durham though, I was going to poke fun at you for going to DICCU (I'm in OICCU) :-O

Hi Jonny721,

Thanks for your message:)) Yes I know adin92 quite well and infact I go birding with him many times. He is a great birdwatcher!

I just came back by bike from my sort of ''Local patch'' a few km away from my home. The site is a valley and many Yellow Wagtails roost there for the night. Currently these birds are on migration heading to Africa as you may all know. Today was the highest count so far this month with no less than 1425+ birds roosted!!:)

To put the cherry on the cake I was delighted when I sighted a flock of 61+ Grey Heron in a beautiful V Formation flying over and 9 Night Herons c ame out at dusk finishing off the evening on a very good note! The peak for BOPS past as it was last week so now only a few will be sighted in the coming days. Will keep you updated:)

Oh BTW i just started school today and I have quite a hard year ahead as I am in my last year of secondary with important exams coming up next April. But as always I will try as much a spossible to spare an hour or two everynow and then to do some good birding:)

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I am skylark25 from sunny Malta and I am 15 only yet I have a great passion for birds and love nature! I have been interested in birds and other wildlife since I was a little boy but it was only around 6 years ago that I focused on birds with great interest. Now I am in my 3rd year of serious birding and I practically go birding on a regular basis. Today I started school but untill yesterday I would go out watching birds everyday since I was in my summer holidays.

Great birds around: We had a very good week for BOPS with several hundred Honey Buzzards, Marsh harrier but also a few individual Ospreys and Black Kite. Common and Lesser Kestrel, Hobbies, Alpine Swift, plenty of bee-eaters, Subalpine warbler and plenty more!:)A few herons also and last Tuesday I saw the largest flock of Great white egrets ever recorded in Malta of 14 birds (GWE are rather scarce in Malta but sightings are increasing but alway sin low numbers)

Unfortunetly Birdwatching isn't that popular down here and I try my best to promote my hobby amongst others. Unfortunetly I currently am one of the youngest birders that goes out frequently...

Happy birding!

Hi welcome to birdforum,

hi everyone sorry i havnt posted for ages havnt had time, plus im just sorting out my blog so hopefully be on tonight.

With the recent Empid Flycatcher and Northern Parula (my all time favourite bird on the uk list) turing up what are everyones predictions for the next american rarities to turn up on our shores??

With the recent Empid Flycatcher and Northern Parula (my all time favourite bird on the uk list) turing up what are everyones predictions for the next american rarities to turn up on our shores??

Not really an answer to your question (I will have a think about it though) but I think Willet is definatly on the cards as one of the nest Western Palearctic 1st's. :t: I can easily imagine it turning up in the UK, I can just see it now on Greatham Creek. Yummy!:eat:

Well done if you guessed Wood Duck, give yourself a pat on the back!

Edit: OK, apparently its a Mandarin. Sad times.

Last edited:
Willet has already been recorded in the Western Palearctic - France in the 19th Century and Finland in 1983, along with a dead one found on the Azores in the late 1970's. You're welcome to find one in the UK though!

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the RSPB Wildpix competition? The closing date was last month and I haven't heard anything so presume I havent won, but still, the website hasn't been updated etc

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the RSPB Wildpix competition? The closing date was last month and I haven't heard anything so presume I havent won, but still, the website hasn't been updated etc

No dont know anything, i was going to enter but completely forgot :eek!:
What image(s) did you enter?

If anyone's interested my Gambia trip report on my diary now has photos attached, so it might actually mean something to those who've never seen the birds before (I hadn't heard of most before I went!). I've only done a couple of days worth so far though.

What a rubbish morning! Went over wyre to look for lapland buntings and little stint. Took a look around fluke hall and pilling lane ends where the bunting had been but no sign of them so went along to cockers dyke to see if the little stints were with the Dunline flock. However the tide was too high so the birds werent in their usual roosting place and instead were back at fluke hall where I had just been! Unfortunately i had to go home as my parents were going out and then when i got home 2 lapland buntings are reported from pilling 20 minutes ago :C:C not a good day at all :C

Fantastic day at Ebro Delta!!!!!!!
No year or ife ticks but an Osprey (fishing), White Spotted Bluethroat (male), two Temminck Stints....:bounce:

More useless days out recently with 2 dips on a local Red Backed Shrike and being stuck at school while lots of other great birds turn up locally :C e.g. yellow browed warbler, great grey shrike, lapland bunting etc

Really need a good days birding soon or i'm going to be giving up for the autumn... :-C:-C:-C

Hi I'm 13 too

Had a great day today - didn't dip out FOR ONCE. I had great views of a lesser yellowleg, a speices from America!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back