• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

1st) Birder of the South (UK, South) - 211 species
2nd) Birding Maniac (UK, Durham) - 205 species
3rd) Jonny721 (UK, Lancashire) - 179 species
4th) Armin Kreusel (Germany) - 172 species
5th) Joseph N (UK, Aberdeenshire) - 169 species
6th) Simmojunior (UK, London) - 157 species
7th) Knotsbirder (UK, Nottinghamshire) - 155 species
8th) Joshua B (Australia) – 130 species
9th) Ospr3y (USA) - 124 species
10th) Silverstar24 (UK, London) - 116 species
11th) Halcon (Spain) - 114 species
11th) Midlands Birder (UK, Midlands) - 109 species
12th) Joshua B (Australia) – 103 species
13th) Adin 92 (Malta) - 80 species
14th) Mworks (UK, Lancashire) - 68 species
15th) Goldfinch12 (UK, Lancashire) - 59 species
16th) Wildlifelove (UK, Essex) - 56 species
17th) Sandhill Crane Lover (USA) – 54 species
18th) Trevistky (Canada) - 52 species
18th) Mari E (Japan) - 50 species
19th) Beth598x (UK, South) - 19 species

Welcome Trevistky, hope you're enjoying you're birding, its a great hobby to get into as everyone here will agree, feel free to participate in the yearlist competition and on the thread in general. Glad you caught up with the anonymous flycatcher Sam - take it that whatever Ficedula species it turns out to be it would be a yeartick? Although if DNA reveals it to be a definite hybrid then you wouldn't be able to yeartick it at all ;) ? Two new birds for the year today with Whimbrel and Little Tern.

Joseph

Last edited:
Thanks, I certainly am enjoying myself in this new hobby. It can become greatly rewarding, even addictive. :)

As for an update I finally got to do some serious birding earlier today after days of being idle. The weather was great here in Montreal as I headed to the west end of town to catch up a bit at Ile Bizard(Bizard Island). My hopes of seeing a Belted Kingfisher were dwindled but I did happen to come across a magnificiant sight of an Osprey in action hunting by a marsh. In cooperation with a friend of mine, I was able to tally these new species to my year list of now 63.

Green Heron
Broad-winged Hawk
Common Moorhen
Least Sandpiper
Common Tern
Bank Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Gray Catbird
Yellow Warbler
Pine Warbler
American Redstart

156) Pied Flycatcher

Unbelievably the Flamborough Ficedula was nothing more than your bog standard Pied Fly'. That one can look like that is beyond me! Oh well... :-C

Sam

156) Pied Flycatcher

Unbelievably the Flamborough Ficedula was nothing more than your bog standard Pied Fly'. That one can look like that is beyond me! Oh well... :-C

Sam

Unlucky Sam and for any other young birders concerned that went to see the bird (Michael and Andrew?) . Look at it this way, it was a fascinating example of how such wide variability can occur within nominate Pied Flycatchers, and to see a male Pied Fly on the coast or anywhere is always a fantastic experience because they're such stunning birds and you don't exactly see them often. Can understand all your frustrations though, driving all the way to see and the anticipation of it maybe being more than a Pied...

Joseph

Last edited:
I'm on 165 now. The definite highlight recently was the superb male Red-spotted Bluethroat at Hartlepool on Thursday that flew down to a few feet of me.

Last edited:
Up to 101 with a nice variety of waders like grey tailed tattler and whimbrel. Exams next week means I can't go out birding for a bit though!

1st) Birder of the South (UK, South) - 211 species
2nd) Birding Maniac (UK, Durham) - 205 species
3rd) Jonny721 (UK, Lancashire) - 179 species
4th) Armin Kreusel (Germany) - 172 species
5th) Joseph N (UK, Aberdeenshire) - 169 species
6th) Simmojunior (UK, London) - 165 species
7th) Knotsbirder (UK, Nottinghamshire) - 155 species
8th) Ospr3y (USA) - 133 species
9th) Joshua B (Australia) – 130 species
10th) Silverstar24 (UK, London) - 116 species
11th) Halcon (Spain) - 114 species
12th) Midlands Birder (UK, Midlands) - 109 species
13th) Mari E (Japan) - 101 species
14th) Adin 92 (Malta) - 80 species
15th) Mworks (UK, Lancashire) - 68 species
16th) Trevistky (Canada) - 52 species
17th) Goldfinch12 (UK, Lancashire) - 59 species
18th) Wildlifelove (UK, Essex) - 56 species
19th) Sandhill Crane Lover (USA) – 54 species
20th) Beth598x (UK, South) - 19 species

Hi Mari, nice to get an update from your birding in Japan. You're not alone with the exams, currently doing mine at the moment so struggling to do much birding at all. Well done with the Bluethroat Oliver, a real cracker. Saw a well twitched one hopping around in front of me on the grass at Girdle Ness when I was a very young lad (haven't seen one since though) so they can be quite obliging birds at times. The pics that people have got of that bird are just superb.

Joseph

Managed to get out for a day last weekend but been so busy I have only had time to do the write up now!!

Spend the day at Martin Mere

69) Blackcap
70) Wheatear
71) Ringed Plover
72) Pied Wagtail
73) Little Stint
74) Dunlin
75) Curlew Sandpiper

Also another real highlight was seeing a Stoat hunting for a good 5 mins.

Just bought myself a new Professional DSLR the Nikon D2XS!!!!

Here's my Flickr please add!
http://www.flickr.com/people/marcusworkman/

No pics on there yet as I have to wait till payday for my new lens but I will have everything sorted for me going away too Scotland.

Regards
Marcus

Just spent some time at my local hide to add two new species to my list.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Solitary Sandpiper

I'm now at 65 on the year.

Last edited:
I've been a bit slack (with birding and updating the total!), but I'm on 141 now, recent highlights including Powerful Owl, Rose Robin, Grey and Brown Goshawks, Peregrine, Varied Sittella, Australian Brush Turkey, etc. Probably not a lot of birding for the rest of the term, but the winter holidays promises a pelagic and a trip inland :D

A blog post about one of the birding day here http://j-twitcher.blogspot.com.au/

Had a nice weekend with Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Broad-billed Sandpiper and Snow Goose as Lifer and many year ticks.
I´m now on 200 species this year in Germany!

117) Swift
118) Common Whitethroat
119) Whimbrel :-O
120) Cuckoo
121) Ringed Plover
And a possible Pied Flycatcher but not entirely sure so I will leave it out for now.

Hi young birders,
I'm glad to have eventually got in touch with you all. I just wanted to join the year list competition. I'm currently at 151 (see my blog at samuelbirding.blogspot.co.uk for updates) but due to upcoming exams I've been restricted in the number of outings I can make. I'm sure many of you understand the situation. Just for the record I live in Hertfordshire and would be interested to hear from any other local young birders,

kind regards and good birding,
Samuel

Hi young birders,
I'm glad to have eventually got in touch with you all. I just wanted to join the year list competition. I'm currently at 151 (see my blog at samuelbirding.blogspot.co.uk for updates) but due to upcoming exams I've been restricted in the number of outings I can make. I'm sure many of you understand the situation. Just for the record I live in Hertfordshire and would be interested to hear from any other local young birders,

kind regards and good birding,
Samuel

Hey Sam, I'm in West London so close-ish. I usually just do the local area + London wetland center with occasional visits further afield. Hit me up if you're ever down at Barnes, although my a2 exams are a bit of a distraction at the moment :p.
Twitched the melodious in East London the other day, my bird of the year so far.

Hi Louis,
nice blog and some excellent photos, unfortunately mine is not quite as interesting as I haven't been able to take any photos recently because I lost the charger. I do make occasional trips to Staines Reservoir (do you live nearby?) on Sundays but not sure when I can go next. Either way I'll let you know when I'll be going and if you feel like meeting up you can contact me on bird forum or my blog. Glad you saw the Melodious. I've just come back after dipping a Hoopoe in St Albans, not a very good day.

Yesterday evening they found two Collared Pratincoles two hours away from me.
So today I went to the place but 20min before I arrived the birds flying out of the range:(
So I make a new plan and look for the beautiful White-winged Tern in the near...I found the bird quick and had some nice views.
Then my Handy rings and an Update from the Pratincoles came!!! I had luck and saw both birds together:) What a nice day:)

So today two Lifer:) and my year-list is now on 205

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back