• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss BGAT* P v Leica Ultravid HD+ 7x42 (1 Viewer)

Hi Jinty,

Both are 'classic' 7x42's, and much loved and discussed both here and elsewhere. As to which is 'better' . . .

For a superior starting point, see Roger Vine’s review of each at: Binocular Reviews
(Roger has also reviewed the Dialyt’s successor the Victory FL - another much loved and discussed classic 7x42).

One point to note is that their introductions and design considerations are separated by 22+ years:
the Dialyt was introduced in 1981, though all but the eyepiece date way back to the 8x56 version of 1968!, and;
the BR precursor of the HD/ HD+ was introduced in 2003.

And there's also the striking difference in length: 190 mm/ 7.5 in verses 141 mm/ 5.6 in
(though there’s not a significant difference in the weight: 800 g/ 28.2 oz verses 770 g/ 27.2 oz).
As I couldn’t find an image to illustrate the point, I've created a quick composite to give an idea of the difference
(with the Zeiss image from Arek’s Allbinos site).

- - - -
I’ve also attached a copy of the specifications for each.
For those interested in the details of the Leica’s optics, see post #19 at: https://www.birdforum.net/threads/what’s-your-favorite-7x42-binoculars.379534/
And for the Zeiss see: Zeiss Dialyt 6x42B - Binoculars - Cloudy Nights

- - - -
Finally of more general interest, while looking for UV images I came across one I’d not seen before, comparing the 8x42 UV HD+ to it’s Noctivid counterpart.
It’s from: Leica Binoculars: The Ultimate Buying Guide | Red Dot Forum

John

Attachments

• 7x42 UV HD+ vs Dialyt.jpg
    7x42 UV HD+ vs Dialyt.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 74
  • UV HD+ x42 Tech Data.jpg
    UV HD+ x42 Tech Data.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Zeiss 1998 cat.jpg
    Zeiss 1998 cat.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 8x42 UV HD+ vs NV.jpg
    8x42 UV HD+ vs NV.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I've owned two pair of 7x42 B/GA T*P*, two pair of UVHD 7x42 and one pair of UVHD+ 7x42 (as well as three pair of FL 7x42 and a pair of SLC Neu 7x42) in a quest to find the "best" 7x42 for me.

I prefered the Leicas to the older Zeiss by a wide margin... the only feature that the Zeiss BGATPs have that I consider to be "better" than the UVHD/+ is the FOV, but it's not that big a difference.

I prefer the FL 7x42 (both pre and post lotutec) to the 7x42 UVHD/+ by a slim margin. I tested these side by side many times and settled on the FLs, but there were several points in favor of each model. If I could justify having both I would, and if my FLs were replaced by UVHD/+ tomorrow I wouldn't mind. They are both superb.

If I had to rank the 7x42s from those above it would go like this:

1 Zeiss FL 7x42 (Lotutec coating doesnt matter to me)
2 Leica UVHD/+ 7x42 (a very close second)
3 Swarovski SLC Neu 7x42 (some redeeming qualities but overall not my cup of tea)
4 Zeiss B/GA T*P* (a nice binocular but not really in the same class as the top two)

I have not tried the Meopta Meostar 7x42s but have compared the 10x50s with my UV 10x50s and based on that I didnt feel the need to seek the 7s out, although there are some here who's opinions and taste in optics I respect who do really like the Meoptas.

So unless you just really want a vintage pair of binoculars I would wholeheartedly recommend the Ultravid HD/HD+ over the B/GA T*P* or ClassiC.

I agree with mtn, get the Leica, though I also prefer the Zeiss FL (most days).

The old Zeiss would be fun, like owning a Triumph Stag, first thing I'd buy is an oil pan (modern neck strap for the BGAT), keep it in the garage and use it on sunny days.
Then there's the Leica, taken for granted, a BMW Z4, the whole package.

Out of the two binoculars, which one is better? I know the Zeiss is much older but it gets rave reviews.
I have both binos, and in my opinion you can't go wrong with either. The UV is more compact and rugged, and waterproof. I chose to buy my UVHD+ after comparing it side-by-side with my BGAT; the UV was able pull more detail out of the shadows, though it was a close contest. I also have the FL, and have owned the Swaro NEU and the Meopta and they're all fine 7x42 binos but the UV is the one I choose to use every time; the BGAT is an old friend but it sits on the shelf.

In a not side-by-side comparison over time between the Zeiss FL 7x42 (Lotutec) and Leica UVHD+ 7x42, I parked with the later. Leica wins in the haptic, color saturation, and size sections, particularly that I carry other equipment with me. I sold the Zeiss FL 7x42 some time I ago and despite of the UVHD+ excellent performance, I still regret this decision very much. It is possible—and please remember I am speaking from memory—the Zeiss’ wider FOV gave a slightly more stable viewing experience, was a tad brighter, and to some degree washed out colors.* Believe me, I am looking for any context or reason to buy the Zeiss again, but so far, the UVHD+ is not letting me do so. Enjoy in good health.

* the color saturation of the Leica binoculars (and camera lenses) is phenomenal and very pleasing. I am sure that many here get the feeling and still remember the performance of the legendary Trinovid 8x32 BN.

Enjoying this discussion. I really think the distinguishing difference in the FLs is not necessarily the Lotutec, but rather the change from the older purple/green coating to the reddish coating. I have not looked through the 7x42s, but have the older coating 8x42s and looked through several other FLs. If I can generalize, the older coating FL view is somewhat washed out/Ektachromeish but pretty accurate in color rendering, to me very lovely somewhat old school view; the newer, sharper, more contrasty, slightly yellow/green shift in certain situations.

I do have the 7x42 UVHD+s and love them. My only reservation is that in a woodland setting I sometimes experience them as less sharp than other bins - I don't believe this is due to optics, but rather coatings. In marine settings they are sublime.

Between those two, I'd pick the UVHD+. Mainly it would be age and eyecup reasons. If you find a BGAT in excellent condition I certainly don't think you'd regret the purchase. It's an excellent binocular still. I bought a BGAT*P 7X42 only a couple of years ago. It's still competitive.

I've owned a UVHD+ 7x42 since 2017. It's one of my favorite and most used binoculars...ALTHOUGH the current model Trinovid 7X35(Retrovid) gets used just as much or more lately. I probably like the Retrovid even better than the UVHD+. It's smaller, lighter, smoother focus, and is a beautiful design.

I'm sort of a 7X42(&35) aficionado. I've got the BGAT*P, FL, SLC, Habicht, Meostar, Trinovid BN, Retrovid, UVHD+, and EDG all in 7X42 except for the Retrovid. To be perfectly honest they are all close enough to be personal preference as far as a birding binocular goes(except for the Habicht). If I'm honest with myself and throw out all bias I'd probably pick the non-Lotutec FL as the best of the lot. Next would be UVHD+/Retrovid/EDG/SLC.

IMG_3005.JPG

DSC_0128.jpg

fullsizeoutput_10bc.jpeg

Last edited:
I have recently spent time with the Victory Fl 7x42, the Ultravid HD + 7x42 and the BGAT T* P.

The Dialyt is very good but, in my opinion, is showing it’s age. I didn’t find it overly bright it has a warm cast. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as the contrast is lovely.

The Ultravid is superb. Sharp, bright and very clean. I found it a little tunnelled compared to the ultra wide Zeiss.

For me, the winner was the Victory fl. It had a real wow factor every time I put it to my eyes. The brightness really stands out and the view is extremely immersive. I notice a few people in the past commented on the fuzziness around the side. I don’t notice this at all.

I kept the Victory FL and returned the others.

Good reminder chill6x6, the Trinovid BN 7x42 is also very very good. A bit heavy but not noticeably more than the SLC. I would place it right below the UV in the rankings of the 7s I've owned. For the price (if you can find one) it may present the best value among premium 7x42 roofs.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back