• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss FL in 2021 (1 Viewer)

ariban

Mine are old. May be 10 years… is there a way to check the date of manufacture?

Hello everyone,

My old ZV 10x4mm binoculars are back after a service. I was away to Kolkata (India) for a week and came back to Jaipur last evening. The Bins had arrived, new eyepieces and all. Considering Covid Pandemic and the lockdown, I would say very well done Zeiss India. Thank you.

The sky has been cloudy today. I came back from work and as I type this, am in the garden, trying out the bins. It is exactly 1900 our time and light is fading.
Twenty or so Green Beeeaters and five Black Drongos are chasing termites on the wing (it rained last evening). A Jacobin Cuckoo is calling and seeking attention- will be chased away by Large Grey Babblers soon. A wet Great Tit (Cinereous isn’t a word- is it?) looked adorable, a Laughing Dove sipped water - a rich blush belly it has. A yellow wasp - the nasty stinging ones is on a water pot, trying to drink. A pair of Asian Pied Starlings silhouetted - I have probably succeeding in identifying a hint of purple fringe.
A lone Greater Coucal - its chestnut wings looking lovely. Dusky Crag Martins - flying too fast to focus. The four Red-wattled Lapwing babies have grown up a bit but still are cute and ugly. A Common Mynah and a Rock Pigeon staring at each other.
A hunting party of Large Grey Babblers creating a rucous in the woods across the wall - a near pure crop of Acacia tortilis. The Common Mynah took a dip - looks awfully uncool when wet. Another Pigeon stopped by for a sip. Papa/ Mama Lapwing keeping a watch on his/ her brood. 4 Coppersmith Barbets - probably parents and the young ones born this summer - perched for a while on a tree 75 odd yards away - could make out the difference in their plumage- the young don’t have the red on the forehead yet.

A good pair of bins these are. Crisp feather details and the right amount of contrast. I wear glasses and with eyecups down , a full view of the field. A hint of fringing… even my good Nikon 500mm lens shows some… No blackouts.

It sure is fun to just sit and watch and not reach for a Camera. Have photographed these birds so many times over the years. It is a great view through these binoculars - the Papilio would have given up an hour ago, my Bushnell Legend Ultra HD are just not this sharp. The unidentified porros would probably have done good in this faded light. The sun has set. Shadows deepen. The crickets are abuzz and the Mosquitoes are getting bolder. Time to pack up.

Yup. Great Bins. Heavy but solid. Not the prettiest- saw and peered through a friend’s 10x42 SFs a few months ago- fantastic glass in form and function. But for my eyes, for the time being (cataract in one uveitis in another) these will do nicely. Have looked theough Swarovski 8x30 B Companions in Bharatpur Keoladeo National Park - impressive to say the least.

Now, how good really are the 8x25 Victory Pockets…. Just wondering. Don’t need them… do want them … Alexis Powell’s fault 😈

Arijit

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back